Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 08:37 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times

Advertisements

How about: //www.city-data.com/forum/curre...es-slaves.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 09:26 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Close to what? Death tolls? Ethnic cleansing? Massacres? Desease? Resettlments? You can't be that ill-informed. History is full of it:
The Holocaust, Armenia, Hamidian Massaacres, Rape of Nanking, Stalin's Purges, Pol Pot, the Red Terror, Nigerean Civil War, Rwanda, Zunghar Genocide, Mao's famines, Circassion Genocide, Darfur. Bar Kokhba....

Do your own damn research, learn something.
None of those come anywhere near the depopulation of an entire continent. If you plan to argue that a few minor actions like the holocaust justify American genocide, your ass is hanging out.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:44 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Historians are no different than scientists, they can argue, big points, fine points, until the "cows come home". There's no historical Bible, everything cast in concrete!

I'm so glad so many parts of this book were not blotted out as I'm learning things I've never learned about in other history books, like the deceptive, greedy headhunters luring immigrants to this country, like the Jamaicans/Haitians to the cane fields in Belle Glade, FL, to replace the American Blacks! News to me!

And the discriminatory policies of the northern industrialists who were prejudiced against both the white (hillbillies from the Appalachian district) and black southerners. They'd have rather have had more immigrants from Europe pour in, than hire them.

There was a landlord in Cincinnati, in the 1940's, who was heard to say: I'd rather have a Mexican or Black tenant in my building, than some white hillbilly from the south.

Wow! What a surprise! Whites discriminating against whites!

Now that surprises me that that wasn't blotted out!

Old 10-07-2015, 04:56 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
...a few minor actions like the holocaust...
Wow, how do you even respond to that? This is too far off the deep end - conversation ended with you dude.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:58 AM

773 posts, read 786,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
What part(s) would you consider embarrassing/shameful enough that you wouldn't want someone else to read, either a foreigner or a younger American citizen having not read much history before?
History books should never be censored.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:52 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Yeah.. but don't tell that to cultural-Marxists. It's become a pastime of contemporary Leftists to erase any & every part of American (& Western) history that offends them. Currently their whipping-boy is the Confederate flag. If they're successful in removing every memory, symbol, & honor to, and of, the Confederacy.. they'll move on to the American flag.
I recently noticed my kids' school system no longer honors Columbus Day.. Columbus, arguably the most significant mariner in human history, is another casualty of the cult-Marxist 'blotting out'.

In the Marxist' ideal universe, American history would be completely purged up until the 1960s.. that's where American history starts to become tolerable in their view
WTF??!! NO ONE thinks like this except maybe less Columbus worshipping. He landed on an "island" with people already there.

Not all that impressive IMHO. Many other "navigators" did the same.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:38 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm so glad so many parts of this book were not blotted out as I'm learning things I've never learned about in other history books, like the deceptive, greedy headhunters luring immigrants to this country, like the Jamaicans/Haitians to the cane fields in Belle Glade, FL, to replace the American Blacks! News to me!
This is nothing new. Even back in the 1980s, when I lived in the area, there was a substantial Haitian population in many parts of western Palm Beach County, including Belle Glade. And there has been ongoing friction between Haitians and American blacks. Though, if you didn't live there like I did, there wouldn't really be any reason that you would know about this; so I'm impressed that you are aware of it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
None of those come anywhere near the depopulation of an entire continent. If you plan to argue that a few minor actions like the holocaust justify American genocide, your ass is hanging out.
I've heard the Holocaust called many things, but this is the first time I've ever heard it called a "minor action"! The Holocaust and what you call the "American genocide" do have some things in common, but never have I heard anyone claim that the genocide of Europe's Jewish population (and others) somehow retroactively justifies what happened to the Native Americans.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:41 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
WTF??!! NO ONE thinks like this except maybe less Columbus worshipping. He landed on an "island" with people already there.

Not all that impressive IMHO. Many other "navigators" did the same.
Columbus' voyages were the initial catalyst that led to what was, AFAIK, the only time in history when an entire continent experienced a near-total demographic change-over. I would call that pretty significant.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:46 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
JFK was a good President and Ted Kennedy was a good Senator.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:01 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I've heard the Holocaust called many things, but this is the first time I've ever heard it called a "minor action"! The Holocaust and what you call the "American genocide" do have some things in common, but never have I heard anyone claim that the genocide of Europe's Jewish population (and others) somehow retroactively justifies what happened to the Native Americans.
I'm not often speechless...but when I saw the poster post that comment it was like - "huh?" The Holocaust was a "minor action"...ohhhhkayyyy. When you get a comment like that, continuing a dialogue with that poster is useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History