Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 06:50 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Morning!

This is the most interesting thread I've read on CD to date, and I'd like to thank those who have shared their experiences so freely here.

I have a question, if I may. You all said that everyone (except retirees) worked. What about disabled people? What about those in wheelchairs, or those who are blind or otherwise sick, and particularly the mentally ill?

Most homeless people in the US are mentally ill, although the poor economic climate is playing an increasing part in families being rendered homeless, which is a disgrace, considering that none of it is necessary. Currently, there are 3.5 million homeless people in the U.S., and 1.4 million of those are children. Canada has similar statistics when the number in the population is taken into account.

The various proposed solutions here revolve around increasing taxes in the private sector, which I think is a bad idea. I believe that the corporate sector should be taxed according to profits made, which would work out better for everyone, as the private sector would then have more funds to spend (if they are not further taxed), and the corporate sector would have more consumers and ergo more profits.

How does Russia handle caring for those who cannot care for themselves -- for whatever reason?

Thanks in advance,

Mahrie.
I have never seen the wheel-chairs in the streets. Never. There were simply no accommodations back in Soviet times for people in wheel-chairs - at least not in big cities. It could have been different in smaller cities - I don't know, but in Moscow with its hi-rises it was an unofficial fact; people in the wheel-chairs were home bound in their apartments till the rest of their lives, where the family was taking care of them.
( I repeat - I don't know what was going on in this respect in other places, because when I made it for the first time to a smaller town in different republic, I was shocked to discover that people lived in private houses in city limits))) It was unheard of in Moscow, so I thought everyone lived in apartments only.
Then, again, during the first years of Gorbachev, there was relative "freedom of speech" and Russian civil society has been revived. There were a lot of discussions on TV of old problems that everyone knew about, but that were swept under the carpet earlier; homeless animals, alcoholism, and among them was this topic of handicapped people, their sad destiny of being confined to "four corners" of medical institutions ( or wherever the government was keeping them, I don't remember.) There was this guy on one particular show who was paralyzed after some car accident. He was confined to bed and he could only work with his hands, so all he was given was to make artificial Christmas trees - same operation, day after day. I don't remember what his story was, but he was asking for some improvements of his lot - that much I know.)
Now mentally ill - they were all placed in mental institutions; you wouldn't see them roaming the streets, as you see them among homeless in America.
Blind people? When I was taking German classes ( taught through the city of Moscow,) our teacher was blind. His German was excellent ( I don't remember what Uni he graduated from,) but he had all the necessary books for blind people, the clock that was "talking to him" and what's not. He was very intelligent and "cool" person too - plenty of us were willing to stick around and to bring him home on subway; we'd drink tea at his place afterwards and played with his dog ( it was a big Collie) So I guess blind people were faring somewhat better, although I never saw other ones.
As for your last question - "How does Russia handle caring for those who cannot care for themselves -- for whatever reason?" - that's a bit different story.
Because after initial short "thawing" under Gorbachev and the revival of Russian civil society, things took turn for the worst and soon the "dictatorship of proletariat" has been replaced with "dictatorship of money." If you ever heard of Russia in the nineties - as soon as the protectionist Soviet policies in economy have been removed, all the state assets, all that people created collectively by labor (often by forced labor in the camps) has been put in the hands of the few. These "few" expropriated anything they could lay their hands on, leaving the rest of the country in poverty. This was the end of the civil society in Russia yet again, so whatever these people decide to "allocate for the needs of disadvantaged" now - that's what these disadvantaged get. Which is to say close to zero, and there is not much anyone can do about it.

Last edited by erasure; 10-11-2015 at 06:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
which time period? because it may have been a good life for the average white male, but it certainly wasn't for minorities, women, the poor and immigrants. It only started to get good for everybody in the 60s/70s. Just like many Russians tend to remember the good time in the good old USSR, so do Americans with their past.
I am talking about the seventies and eighties.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:07 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
In America may be. But in Russia (in Soviet Union in this case,) where fist fights and brawls (among younger guys in particular) were quite common, this ban has prevented a lot of unnecessary deaths I'd guess.

Yes, from the age of 18 to 20 - for two years, ( but students were exempt -they've had some military preparations in Universities from what I remember.) That's why a lot of parents were in a rush to push their sons to pass University exams right after school (10th grade) and send them to Universities. Otherwise they'd have to go to serve in the army before the next summer ( and next available opportunity to pass the entrance exams.)
Martial arts give those boys an outlet for their aggression in a controlled environment.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Martial arts give those boys an outlet for their aggression in a controlled environment.
And after they leave this "controlled environment"?
Do they leave their skills behind, or do they take it with them?

Old 10-11-2015, 07:15 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
And after they leave this "controlled environment"?
Do they leave their skills behind, or do they take it with them?
The skills they keep, as well as the control they learn. The aggression, and viciousness they expel.

There have been studies done on this. Martial artists are the least violent offenders out there.

But of course it depends on the training. As long as the art promotes positive personal growth, you should get a less of a thug out of it.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
The skills they keep, as well as the control they learn. The aggression, and viciousness they expel.

There have been studies done on this. Martial artists are the least violent offenders out there.

But of course it depends on the training. As long as the art promotes positive personal growth, you should get a less of a thug out of it.
Look, I understand what you are saying and for these reasons I've sent my son into martial arts when he was little, but in Soviet Union there were good reasons to curb these activities, because of too much risk for public safety was involved and not enough of control/assurance.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:51 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I spent some time in the USSR when I was a teenager. My perspective is not completely adult.

They drank a lot more alcohol than people in the US and it was cheap. A favorite among the University crowd was a vodka and pomegranate punch. It was everywhere. More common than soda even.

Compared to the US, there were no choices. Almost everyone had one of the 4 or 5 available styles of winter coats, boots, etc. If you wanted something really nice you bought from the black market and paid hard currency like dollars or Swiss francs. And most of the people who had money, got it by doing something illegal, like the black market.

Everyone worked and no one had much money or nice things. People wanted to avoid the military just like they did in the US back then. Most people were politically middle of the road and they didn't really care about Communism. They were too interested in finding adequate food, and housing. Many people bartered to get what they needed. Shortages were common and often you would see a line and people would just get in the queue without even knowing what was being sold. If they didn't need it, they could trade with someone who did. The biggest department store was Gum and it was very common for maybe 1/3 of the shelves to be empty.

They knew a lot of what they heard about the US and Europe was propaganda. But I don't think they really believed me either when I told them there were more than 10 kinds of coffee at a regular grocery store anyone could enter.

The Soviet airline was Aeroflot. All of the stewardesses were well over 250lbs and they wore stockings with seams up the back! And they had a first class section and didn't even see the irony. When I asked about it they said anyone who cared to spend extra for a ticket could sit there so that made it fair! And BTW most average people never traveled at all. It was too expensive. Most average people didn't have cars either. They walked or took the bus/subway.

It was quite an experience!

Old 10-12-2015, 02:42 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
When I was growing, we lived off one very small salary, but I was never hungry, as produce was abundant in stores and very inexpensive. Flats were practically free, as we paid only utility bill and that was minuscule. .
Don't forget about 30 years waiting in line for a flat, and before you get it, you live in kommunalka at best, if not in barrack w/o water or heat. Yes, utility bills were very small.

Quote:
When I was growing, we lived off one very small salary, but I was never hungry, as produce was abundant in stores and very inexpensive.
In Moscow, in end-80th, I would spend hours to hunt for a food for a tiny family of 3. Never had problems with money for food, though.

Quote:
Free education, free daycare, free schools, free high education. Free health care. .
This is actually what make people free - and what US is lacking. We had some kind of a reserve there, and if you could just keep your trap shut (not even completely, just don't protest publicly!) you would be happy.

Quote:
Cars were rarity and public transportation was a must, but it worked like a Swiss clock - a bus or a trolley or a tram every minute or so. .
Never saw a single bus to arrive on time. Trains yes, they did.

Quote:
We didn't have fancy clothes, finding good shoes was a problem, but no one really paid attention to this. Not in my environment..
I was sewing all my skirts from the age of 12. With my 175 sm I just didn't have a choice. Surprisingly, I have the same problem in the US - finding jeans w 34 inseam is a pain in the neck.

Quote:
Everyone was dressed neatly and nicely. No one was walking in shorts only in the street - you get 15 days of jail for that. .
That's what I really, really miss

Quote:
I never saw any repressions against services.
Take a look at Zoya Krachmalnikova and her husband story.

Quote:
Vacations were generous.Maternity leaves were more than generous.
Yep. If American women knew about such a leisure, they would all convert into communism from democracy. Luckily for the US, USSR's propaganda bosses didn't study marketing in the US.

Quote:
Private businesses were allowed but not abundant. Employment was guaranteed by law.
Were they? I doubt it. Rather, not punished if small

Quote:
Life was sort of lame, but I miss it. I surely miss healthcare and educational system. And vacations..
And 15 days for pajama on the street!!!!

Army was mandatory for men, mothers didn't want sons to go, so bribing military officials for not recruiting was widespread.
Travel abroad was totally restricted and controlled by KGB. One has to prove that he won't run West, so first two trips should have been made to the Soviet block countries.
Sport was a real part of the everyday life.
Zolya's books were in the restricted section in my school library
In order to get good books we needed to gather 44 pounds of used paper that was exchanged for a coupon that could be exchanged for a book.
The political pressure was sublime for most people, but it kind of existed as a part of daily life. Self-censoring was habitual, as was "double-thinking" and direct lies in faces of officials. This is probably why Russia will never be able to fully tax its citizen.

The saddest thing I read in my life was Fedor Abramov's "Brothers and Sisters". Immediately after this book goes the following tread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/food-...-rotation.html

And a couple of others
//www.city-data.com/forum/food-...5-what-do.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/food-...d-eat-kid.html

So the US had its problems. too. Basically, if the US had free healthcare, guaranteed jobs and high education, it would be almost as comfortable for majority of people as USSR was.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:55 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,761 times
Quote:
Also I want ask if anyone knows anything about China. Did China essentially cease being hardline communist once Deng Xiaoping took power?
You won't hear from them much. They are loyal to Mao even after decades in the US and almost 40 years since his death.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:36 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,982 times
Years ago I read an article written by a travel writer who had visited Poland before the fall of Communism. He told a story that stuck with me about witnessing people lined up for an hour or more to drink soda from a metal cup that was chained to the counter. Later I was talking to a guy who grew up in Poland in that era and mentioned the story to him. I was honestly expecting him to say, "That's silly -- it was never that bad." Instead he said, "I think I was in that line."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History