Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2016, 09:42 AM

34 posts, read 44,037 times

Advertisements

Not sure if it's simply Hollywood fiction but in so many movies/tv shows set during Roman times it's not uncustomary to see women wearing clothes that are either very revealing, little clothes at all, or even just walking around topless. I always found the movie Caligula quite interesting and it certainly has some...topless/nude women lol.

Basically if one were to go back to Rome back during the Republic/Empire would one be likely to see such?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 03:52 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJonz View Post
Not sure if it's simply Hollywood fiction but in so many movies/tv shows set during Roman times it's not uncustomary to see women wearing clothes that are either very revealing, little clothes at all, or even just walking around topless. I always found the movie Caligula quite interesting and it certainly has some...topless/nude women lol.

Basically if one were to go back to Rome back during the Republic/Empire would one be likely to see such?
If you like Caligula for the sex and nudity you should check out the Spartacus series (uncut cable version). Highly recommended. But, alas, that is just Hollywood.

I'm not an expert but I believe in actuality women were traditionally well covered by togas and tunics and public nudity was not acceptable unless they were prostitutes or slaves. The breasts were seen as more symbols of maternity then erotic. Men on the other hand were allowed to freely go naked in public without scorn.
So, scratch Ancient Rome off my travel destinations when time travel gets invented.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:23 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
If you like Caligula for the sex and nudity you should check out the Spartacus series (uncut cable version). Highly recommended. But, alas, that is just Hollywood.

I'm not an expert but I believe in actuality women were traditionally well covered by togas and tunics and public nudity was not acceptable unless they were prostitutes or slaves. The breasts were seen as more symbols of maternity then erotic. Men on the other hand were allowed to freely go naked in public without scorn.
So, scratch Ancient Rome off my travel destinations when time travel gets invented.
Makes one wonder what really went on in those public baths.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:17 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Depends on your standing Roman Society. Patricians were expected to display probity. Prostitutes in a bordello-no.

I hope cachi comes in to post but the famous Histories we have were composed by anti-Caesarians so the Imperial orgies involving the upper class and what not could be seen as salacious gossip written as history.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:05 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
And much of the view we have of the "decadent" Romans was formed by Victorian fantasies of the "classical", long before Hollywood got its mitts on the topic.

It can be argued that it was the orientalizing influences of the Empire that brought morality low - the Republic was actually pretty straight-laced.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:43 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
And much of the view we have of the "decadent" Romans was formed by Victorian fantasies of the "classical", long before Hollywood got its mitts on the topic.

It can be argued that it was the orientalizing influences of the Empire that brought morality low - the Republic was actually pretty straight-laced.
And emperors actually WERE servants to the people and feared them like nothing else. Another thing twisted by historians and movies.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:15 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
I just read SPQR by Mary Beard, a new 700+page history of the Roman empire, wherein she described togas as floor length for women, and many times the upper arm area was draped with fabric. Modesty was the keyword.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:46 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
And emperors actually WERE servants to the people and feared them like nothing else. Another thing twisted by historians and movies.
Actually, it was the Tribunes of the Plebs who were the servants of the people. While Augustus and a few other of the emperors believed they had some responsibility to the people, most did not. The Republic was based on independent citizen farmers, while the Empire was supported by mass slave plantations, which turned the Roman citizenry into a displaced urban rabble, which had to be bought off with "bread and circuses".

Old 03-23-2016, 07:24 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
The movies get their ideas about style from the extant art from the period: friezes, murals from Pompei, etc.

But it's like Mitt Romney joking at that formal dinner a few yrs ago about everyone wearing a tux, It' nice to wear my causal, around the house clothes here." -- The art work is probably depicting the more formal attire, not the everyday tunic they would commonly wear. Cf- the episode of the Senators going to recruit Cincinnatus at his farm. He was plowing fields and they told him he ought to go in and put on his toga, for they were there to discuss formal business.

Times have changed. Things considered acceptable in terms of modesty back then may not be so modest by our current standards. Even 40 yrs ago in Italy, it was commonplace to see a man stop and merely turn his back to traffic and urinate on the sidewalk. The word "fornication" comes from the Latin "fornix" = "arch." It was the common practice of prostitutes to ply their trade under the arches of public place such as the Coliseum...And, just like today, the lower and upper classes tend to live by a looser moral code than the more stuffy middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History