Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 04:17 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
In America: The Indian Wars.
The Indian wars isn't germane. The Indian wars were on again off again without a consistent policy. We also used other indians as scouts and collaborators nor was there a coordinated policy for extermination.

Quote:
Let's not forget, too, that a Jewish revolt in Germany would have evoked no sympathetic response from other nations at that time, not even the US. Rather, every other Western nation (plus the USSR) would have responded to such a revolt by more tightly controlling their own Jewish populations.
I don't get that. No one in Washington, London or Paris was under any illusion to the dangers of the Nazi regime. Moscow would certainly have supported any movement that threatened the Nazis up until 1939 and the signing of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, especially if it was connected to the KPD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 04:42 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
The Indian wars isn't germane. The Indian wars were on again off again without a consistent policy. We also used other indians as scouts and collaborators nor was there a coordinated policy for extermination.
And even without a consistent national policy, the Indians still lost...which is my point.

Quote:
I don't get that. No one in Washington, London or Paris was under any illusion to the dangers of the Nazi regime. Moscow would certainly have supported any movement that threatened the Nazis up until 1939 and the signing of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, especially if it was connected to the KPD.
You're underestimating the power of anti-Semitism in the 30s.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:07 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:

You don't have a clue do you?

Anti-Semitism was rife in almost every single government you mentioned including the United States.

Just off the top of one's head but there are pages..... Franklin Delano Roosevelt

In particular the US State Department as was its counterpart in GB was run and populated by WASP/upper class to wealthy white Protestant males. The few Jews in positions of power within government such as Robert Morgenthau fought an often uphill battle on behalf of the European Jews.

They do say the bending over backwards for the Jews you saw by the United States and other governments post WWII was in hindsight for their inaction during the War.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:02 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Easily.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:00 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You don't have a clue do you?
Hold on there Hoss, I don't think that we've been properly introduced.

Quote:
Anti-Semitism was rife in almost every single government you mentioned including the United States.
There are and have been degrees of anti-semitism, from "not in my country club" to "not in my country." The anti-semitism of Nazi Germany or parts of eastern Europe did simply did not have an equal in the U.S. France, Great Britain.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:

There are and have been degrees of anti-semitism, from "not in my country club" to "not in my country." The anti-semitism of Nazi Germany or parts of eastern Europe did simply did not have an equal in the U.S. France, Great Britain.
The US was of the "not in my country" degree with regard to German Jews attempting to escape Germany in 1939. It's rather specious to think that after an armed uprising, German Jews would have been any more welcomed or that the US would have supported their uprising against the recognized legitimate German government.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_St._Louis

Joe Kennedy

Old 10-21-2015, 05:13 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,923,976 times
Quote:
In America: The Indian Wars.

Let's not forget, too, that a Jewish revolt in Germany would have evoked no sympathetic response from other nations at that time, not even the US. Rather, every other Western nation (plus the USSR) would have responded to such a revolt by more tightly controlling their own Jewish populations.
the land owners and bankers didn't want to just exterminate the native americans...they wanted their land...if they gave up their land then great, if not THEN plan b
when gold was discovered this went into overdrive

sure there was probably a lot of hatred for the natives, but nowhere near the scale hitler and the Nazis had for the jews

not condoning what was done to the native americans, but it is not even close to the same thing

Old 10-21-2015, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
the land owners and bankers didn't want to just exterminate the native americans...they wanted their land...if they gave up their land then great, if not THEN plan b
when gold was discovered this went into overdrive

sure there was probably a lot of hatred for the natives, but nowhere near the scale hitler and the Nazis had for the jews

not condoning what was done to the native americans, but it is not even close to the same thing
The point is that the Indians did not prevail through being armed.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:40 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Easily.
Um...no. I know that attacks a great pillar of the current gun debate, but armed Jews weren't going to stop the Holocaust.

Quote:
I understood your point and it was a good one.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:03 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,923,976 times
Quote:
this is true
but many of them died standing...fighting...

I think if the jews had been armed, less of them would have died in the camps, more would have died fighting...similar outcome though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History