Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 12:11 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,132,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobun View Post
If you think that there is anything wrong with taking from the corpses of the enemy dead, then you know very little about war. In reality, most souvenirs were taken from homes or from the abandoned gear on battlefields.

On the grand list of things that are done that aren't good, this is about 347,239 on the list. Also, the Japanese, Russians and Germans were far, far, far worse than us. You should watch a documentary on the Rape of Nanking by the Japanese or read about what the Russians did to the Germans...then come back with some perspective.
Why not just accept that it is wrong? Why is there a bizarre form of conservative led political correctness when it comes to soldiers in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 12:51 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
My uncle took a beautiful, multi-volume pack of art books with the most beautiful prints - all kinds of art, from a bombed out library in Dusseldorf. I only wonder how that heavy stack got transported back with him. Those books today, are priceless. They decorate my library. They have signatures.

We should have claimed Iraq's oil as our own. For sale, if you want some.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:09 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobun View Post
If you think that there is anything wrong with taking from the corpses of the enemy dead, then you know very little about war. In reality, most souvenirs were taken from homes or from the abandoned gear on battlefields.

On the grand list of things that are done that aren't good, this is about 347,239 on the list. Also, the Japanese, Russians and Germans were far, far, far worse than us. You should watch a documentary on the Rape of Nanking by the Japanese or read about what the Russians did to the Germans...then come back with some perspective.
This thread makes me a lot more sympathetic toward the native American custom of taking souvenir scalps.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:11 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
My uncle took a beautiful, multi-volume pack of art books with the most beautiful prints - all kinds of art, from a bombed out library in Dusseldorf. I only wonder how that heavy stack got transported back with him. Those books today, are priceless. They decorate my library. They have signatures.

We should have claimed Iraq's oil as our own. For sale, if you want some.
That probably was a major reason for the Iraq invasion, we "bring you democracy" and you give us your oil. Neither one seems to have happened though.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:41 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I've a fondness for pithy quotes, and like to source them.

All this in the heart of a bitter war. It's a funny world. As one of our gun crew remarked, "The Germans fight for Glory, their cities, and their homes. The Americans fight for souvenirs." -- Ernie Pyle, December 24, 1943.

Not saying that Pyle originated the quote, just that he reported it.

Thanks for the Ernie Pyle reference. I've read just about everything Pyle wrote that's been published in book form, so I'm surprised that I didn't remember it from that. I'm still pretty sure that the references to French and British soldiers were part of the quote that I remember reading, what ever the source happened to be.

If you haven't already, check out "Home Country", a collection of his pre-war travel columns.

Old 10-25-2015, 04:14 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingMan86 View Post
I have always wondered about this. My grandfather who has since passed was involved in Iwo Jima and he told me he took a sword from a dead Japanese and kept it for many years but gave it away to a friend a long time before he told me. I never really thought much of it but while I have heard of soldiers taking things from soldiers they have killed and now would most definitely not be allowed, back during WWII could, say a U.S soldier that killed a Japanese really just take their sword or gun and take it back home as a souvenir without much question?

WWII American military from both Europe and Asia took largely whatever they liked and had it shipped back to the United States and or brought it home when they came. From officers on down it didn't matter; artwork, fine china, jewelry and other things from the dead and so forth.

To be fair other Allied military were looting, or taking souvenirs as they called it.

There are hundreds of pages of hits on this subject, here are but a few:

Soldier tells about looting Hitler

Washingtonpost.com: Report: U.S. Looted Train of Holocaust Goods

Officers from US and Allied military frequently "requisitioned" household goods/treasures when setting up various headquarters or commands. What they didn't directly use was shipped back home to their wives/girlfriends or family. That and or the stuff was taken back home again whey they were sent home.

You might be interested in: Liberating the Germans: The US Army and Looting in Germany during the Second World War

While many would like to believe American military was somehow as a whole morally superior to say Russia's or any of the others more or less the same things occurred from all Allied military; raping, looting and so forth. The Russians take much of the heat because their military was very blatant and open in their activities *and* it was taking place on a large and organized scale but make no mistake it went on all round.

In one instance American military got too greedy and pushed things far, then there were consequences: The 1946 Hesse Jewel Robbery, Kronberg, Germany - The Raven

The American military officers involved in the Kronberg Castle theft used as part of their defense *everyone* was looting in Germany so why are they being singled out. It didn't work

Old 10-25-2015, 05:02 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times
The looting of enemy dead has been going on since one cave man picked up the club of another cave man, who's skull he just crushed.

bill

Old 10-25-2015, 06:11 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Souvenir do’s and don’ts
Lt. Col. Dwight Warren, judge advocate at Camp Anaconda, said prohibited items include:
  • Firearms, rockets, grenades, explosives, munitions, and components of all of these items.
  • Club-type hand weapons such as batons, blackjacks, brass knuckles or nunchakus.
  • Concealable knives and switchblades and any other kind of knife with an automatic blade opener, weight or swinging motion for opening the blade.
  • Military equipment not designed to be issued to or carried by an individual soldier.
  • Scientific, archaeological, religious, historical or other relics.
  • Sand, dirt, rocks, gravel, plants or animals.
  • Personal items belonging to the enemy.
Permitted war souvenirs are “common enemy military items that have little or no value” and have to be acquired legally, such as by capturing them or finding them abandoned, Warren said in an e-mail last week to Stripes.
He said permitted items include:
  • Helmets and other head coverings.
  • Uniforms and patches.
  • Canteens, compasses, rucksacks and pouches.
  • Flags.
  • Knives and bayonets — as long as they are not collapsing or spring-loaded retractable blades and the servicemember has a receipt.
  • Military training manuals.
  • Posters and placards.
  • Currency of the former Saddam Hussein regime.
  • Prayer rugs and furniture purchased from an Army and Air Force Exchange Service vendor
U.S. troops

Much of this likely applied to WW2 regulations

http://cdn.factcheck.org/UploadedFil...OrderGO-1A.pdf

http://www.nfaoa.org/documents/Notes...phyRecords.pdf

Old 10-25-2015, 06:25 PM

Close friend being deployed from Iraq after the "war" came upon a NIB AK rifle. Much as he tried and even begged his CO said "No". *LOL* Apparently it was not the only one and there were plenty more and other firearms and ammo scattered about for the taking.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Souvenir do’s and don’ts
Lt. Col. Dwight Warren, judge advocate at Camp Anaconda, said prohibited items include:

• Firearms, rockets, grenades, explosives, munitions, and components of all of these items.
  • Club-type hand weapons such as batons, blackjacks, brass knuckles or nunchakus.
  • Concealable knives and switchblades and any other kind of knife with an automatic blade opener, weight or swinging motion for opening the blade.
  • Military equipment not designed to be issued to or carried by an individual soldier.
  • Scientific, archaeological, religious, historical or other relics.
  • Sand, dirt, rocks, gravel, plants or animals.
  • Personal items belonging to the enemy.
Permitted war souvenirs are “common enemy military items that have little or no value” and have to be acquired legally, such as by capturing them or finding them abandoned, Warren said in an e-mail last week to Stripes.
He said permitted items include:

• Helmets and other head coverings.
  • Uniforms and patches.
  • Canteens, compasses, rucksacks and pouches.
  • Flags.
  • Knives and bayonets — as long as they are not collapsing or spring-loaded retractable blades and the servicemember has a receipt.
  • Military training manuals.
  • Posters and placards.
  • Currency of the former Saddam Hussein regime.
  • Prayer rugs and furniture purchased from an Army and Air Force Exchange Service vendor
U.S. troops

Much of this likely applied to WW2 regulations

http://cdn.factcheck.org/UploadedFil...OrderGO-1A.pdf

http://www.nfaoa.org/documents/Notes...phyRecords.pdf
Maybe, then again maybe not:
What souvenirs were soldiers allowed to carry back home? - Other Militaria - WWII Forums

https://www.veteransadvantage.com/va...-and-dangerous

Keeping war trophies is a slippery slope | Marine Corps Times | marinecorpstimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History