Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 08:00 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I find this personally offensive. I know a little about this. Aside from certain matters regarding operational security and certain intel not being delivered, we were also hampered by by poor maintenance due to a lack of funding for spare parts. Freaking radar inop because I can't get a magnetron for it, cracked rotors, failing hydraulics and other problems...the mission failure cannot be laid on the backs of those attempting it. It was doomed from the start just because of the maintenance issues. We did the best we could with what we had back then. We were crippled by the politicians and the mission planners. Do not blame the guys trying to get the job done, despite the adversities.

There was some good that came out of the failure after Reagan was elected, certain special operations missions tasked with rapid deployment strategies and missions, and later, the morph into Delta Force. But there's a lot of stuff you won't read about on that.
DESERT ONE was far, far more ambitious than may ever be revealed (stunning, really), but it was an example of the worst senior-level planning, fraught with the disaster of each service wanting a piece of the action but not coordinating with the other services...it was a "joint" operation only in the broadest of terms.

On the Air Force side, there were all kinds of operational gaffs, all the way down to the unit level.

But on the "we learned some lessons," side, DESERT ONE was the operation that finally forced the DoD to do "joint" for real, and the result was the excellent joint operations of DESERT SHIELD/STORM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 08:05 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Why did the US government deem the Shah more valuable than the US hostages?
Under what authority would the US arrest the Shah, drag him out of the hospital and send him back to Iran? Under what treaty? We can’t even deport peasants who are here illegally. Besides, he was on US soil very briefly. He was flying around the world. What Carter did to the Shah Obama did to Mubarak. Egypt was on track to become another Iran. Thankfully, for the Egyptians and the world, they had Sissi to stand up to the misguided US policies. But not to worry. Libya was next door and what started in Egypt they finished in Libya. A secular leader was deposed and Islamists fanatics installed. Don’t get me started with the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan and Iraq.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:06 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Iraq has one major advantage, it is a bordering state. Notice the Vietnamese had just withstood the overwhelming US naval and air power advantages when the entire US leadership learned their craft as middle level leaders
Bordering state, bordering state, bordering state.

Logistics, logistics, logistics.

"Operations wins battles, logistics wins wars."

Yes, you're right.

Even today, the US does not have the logistical legs to fight a war with Iran. As has been mentioned more than once, so soon after Vietnam there was certainly no desire to enter another war.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:07 AM

35,001 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Do you think Carters choice to not use a military invasion to rescue the hostages was a mistake? It seemed to me the ayatollah khomeini by taking the hostages he really justified military action. Carter approved 2 raids 1 which ended badly the 2nd a wild idea to land a c-130 in a soccer stadium never happened. The interviews with the special forces who spent many days training stated they were 90% sure they could have taken the embassy without loss of any Americans. If Carter had reacted quickly with military force he could have change the future and we might not be in the situation we are in now. I even think Iran would have been better off Islamic state has been a disaster for the average Iranian.
I actually went back onto timemachine.times.com and re-read some of the coverage from November and December 1979. The decision seems to flow from the same doctrine of "why can't we all be friends" to which Moderator cut: President Obama subscribes. To be fair, being a recent Ivy League graduate and then a law student, it sounded good; "world" pressure and the "desire" of Iran to be treated as a civilized nation and among the "world community" would force sane leaders in Iran (the historical equivalents of today's Rouhani) to release the hostages.

Indeed initial signs were encouraging. Some sick hostages and I believe the female ones were released. Then, basically, nothing happened until Canada aided some surreptitious releases in March 1980. The disastrous raid with the helicopter crash followed.

The failure of this model of "Kumbaya" diplomacy partially led to Reagan's election. Moderator cut: ...

Last edited by mensaguy; 11-14-2015 at 03:34 AM.. Reason: This isn't the Politics forum.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:10 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Under what authority would the US arrest the Shah, drag him out of the hospital and send him back to Iran? Under what treaty? We can’t even deport peasants who are here illegally. Besides, he was on US soil very briefly. He was flying around the world. What Carter did to the Shah Obama did to Mubarak. Egypt was on track to become another Iran. Thankfully, for the Egyptians and the world, they had Sissi to stand up to the misguided US policies. But not to worry. Libya was next door and what started in Egypt they finished in Libya. A secular leader was deposed and Islamists fanatics installed. Don’t get me started with the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan and Iraq.
Maybe we could have used the same authority we used for selling weapons to Iran; meaning that obviously laws were not a concern when it came to selling weapons, but to rescuing our hostages? oh yes, everything by the book.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:21 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Quote:
Do you think Carters choice to not use a military invasion to rescue the hostages was a mistake? It seemed to me the ayatollah khomeini by taking the hostages he really justified military action. Carter approved 2 raids 1 which ended badly the 2nd a wild idea to land a c-130 in a soccer stadium never happened. The interviews with the special forces who spent many days training stated they were 90% sure they could have taken the embassy without loss of any Americans. If Carter had reacted quickly with military force he could have change the future and we might not be in the situation we are in now. I even think Iran would have been better off Islamic state has been a disaster for the average Iranian.
I was in the marines at that time and had just been transferred to Hawaii 3 weeks prior. I worked in a MATCU unit (Mobile Air Traffic Control Unit). As it turns out, our MATCU unit was the only combat ready MATCU unit in the corps at the time. I tell you this to explain, in detail, the state of the military at that moment in time.

This was post Vietnam era and the last troops out of Saigon was a scant 4.5 years earlier. There were no heroes and America pretty much had had enough of the military. Carter did his best to accommodate their wishes. The "GI Bill was called VEAP and one could attain a whopping $8,100 in total college funds after you kicked in $2,700 of it. When in public, you were told to keep a loooow profile. The American public did not care for the military or those in it.

The M-60 Patton tank was still front line and technically inferior to the T-72 we obliterated 11 years and a great Republican Regan later, in Desert storm. Iran and Iraq were. "wrapping up" an 8 year war that killed about a million troops between them and Iraq was our allies. We had M-16 A1 rifles of Vietnam vintage all shot out. 1 in 3 jeeps was operational. There were no Bradley's, humvees, strikers, amwraps, whatever but, there were peeeeelenty of worn out, non armored deuce and a halfs and jeeps. There were amtracs without armor plates as well. All of motor transport cannibalized other vehicles to keep a few running.

The Huey was still front line and the Blackhawk was about 4-5 years in the future. The cobra gen 1 was available and the apache was on the drawing board. Tow missiles were available, no hellfires. m-60 mortars common but hey, we did have the 1911 so....there's......that.

The radars I worked on we're the TPN-8, Vietnam vintage, made in 1960 by ITT.....40 mile PAR radar....with transistors!!!!......then there was the infamous UPS-1.....I believe the marines first radar made in 1940.....yes, 1940.....80 mile range....oh boy.....it ran on vacuum tubes...we used to break the nipple of the thyratron and stuff it full of Christmas lights.....cost to the us taxpayer? $1,500 in the all so clever use it or lose budget process.......prc 25 radios .....yessssss, real antiques.....and we were the only unit that could deploy anywhere in the world and set up an airport with 24 hour notice.....IF they could get there C-141 style, and IF the crap didn't fall apart along the way....real junk....money was on the TPN-8 as the UPS-1 was always down for parts.

We did have plenty of trichlorethelene we bathed our hands in to make the circuit boards shiny for inspection....lieukemia due any day now.....lots of paint and ospho to keep the ancient, broken gear, looking good! We used to wipe the radars down with a light oil to make them glisten for field day inspections....every Friday....whether they worked or not.

We did not receive a pay raise for two of the 4 years I was in so the squabble today is not new. Thank you nothing Jimmy Carter. To say morale in the military was low is a gross understatement. despite the fact we could get reenlistment bonuses of a factor of 7 (SRB of 7), a bump in rank, advanced school and choice of duty station, 95% of my unit left when their enlistment was over. Much like America, we had enough of it.....
too...

What I'm telling you is the morale was down, no budget to waste or, put to good use, ancient, worn out equipment, and one of the highest departure rates in history, going to war would have been one of the most stupid things we could have done. Thousands upon thousands of lives would have been lost.

Not for lack of bravery. Hevk, we were bored, we would have welcomed the change. We were simply not prepared for a sustained conflict.

Our flight line consisted of Huey's, cobras, F-4's, crusaders, A4 sky hawks (1954 invention), F-14 tomcats (phew) and the F-16 juuuuuuuuust being released..the F-15's were there but, not prevalent....the AV8 -A harrier gen 1.....on a bright side, we did have the A-10 warthog just two years old........

Thanks to Regan and the republicans in general, we developed the Abrams tank, massive amounts of F15's, f16's, AV8 B's, F-18 Hornets and super hornets, all of the Ohio class subs, the nuclear carriers numbering what? 12? Aegis cruisers, tomahawk missiles, hellfire missiles, apache helicopter, M-4 carbines by the thousands, Bradley's, humvees, etc....etc...etc......etc...

Thanks to THAT, we attacked our former allies, Iraq, 11 years later and fisted his entire army, 4th largest in the world at the time, in 4 days??????

There are many families that owe their lives and kids lives to Regan and the republicans. I treasure what those folks did for our soldiers. They improved morale and brought dignity back to the service. They were exemplary during Gulf Storm and we all know how well that was run. Oddly enough, we apparently forgot the lessons we were taught in 1979 that there was a balance of power and as long as Iraq and Iran were at each others throat, a crazy guy called sadam kept a lid on things. Shame we forgot that. We knew it in 1979. I'm very proud how America turned and embraced our military. 11 years earlier we were pretty detested wherever we went. Go figure.

Say what you will about republicans but, make nooooooo mistake, they got that decade right and saved many military lives. Carter? Nice guy who was simply not the right guy for the job. Like a bad draft in the NFL. Move him out and move on. We did. Thank God.

Military is much, much, much better now. I have a son who is combat medic but, I am confident he would fare better than we would have thanks to those collective republican efforts. So, to you Hillary and your vast right wing conspiracy BS, F.U.....guess how many fingers I am holding up now?

Notes:

Summer of 1980 we trained Iraqi air-traffic controllers in Hawaii. They were an allies fighting Iran. Odd quiet bunch and rarely so much as smiled. They left 2 weeks later to go back to a land most of us didn't even know existed. Odd and uncomfortable working with them. Just odd. Awkward.

The boogy boarding at Kaneohe MCAS is excellent. Pyramid rock and beach off the end of the runway is one of the best beaches in Hawaii.

Night diving in turtle bay will open your eyes to hammerhead sharks as they were studied there by the navy, even more interesting is the diving on the edge of the Molokai channel, at night. Do NOT use a game bag when spear fishing at night. NOT a good idea and bring a backup flashlight. Dive partners are mandatory.

Hawaii is a great place to protect Americans from bad beer.

Semper Fi

Last edited by Caleb Longstreet; 11-13-2015 at 07:35 PM..

Old 11-13-2015, 09:45 PM

13,233 posts, read 7,286,273 times
I think if Eagle Claw had Clear weather they would have succeeded. What if our Secretary of state was held hostage wouldn't that be enough to invade?

Old 11-14-2015, 07:07 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
I think if Eagle Claw had Clear weather they would have succeeded. What if our Secretary of state was held hostage wouldn't that be enough to invade?
No it wasn't 1801 anymore and the Soviets sat on the Iranian border

Old 11-14-2015, 09:04 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
Quote:
While I am certainly not an expert of tactics and strategy but it seems to me that in most hostage rescues that I've ever heard of, the element of surprise is a major deciding factor when it comes to success or failure. So, invading a country to free a hostage while perhaps vengefully satisfying would do little to actually free the hostage. If freeing the hostage is the purpose in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History