U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 02:48 PM

9,982 posts, read 7,251,556 times

Advertisements

Leader in the French Revolution.
1743-1793 (murdered).

I did a paper on this historical figure many years ago. To be honest
I do not remember all the details but I definitely considered him to
be one of the most interesting figures of the French Revolution.

Can anyone source this quote ?

Rather visionary, is it not ?

"Don't be deceived when they tell you things are better now. Even if there's no poverty to be seen because the poverty's been hidden. Even if you ever got more wages and could afford to buy more of these new and useless goods which industries foist on you and even if it seems to you that you never had so much, that is only the slogan of those who still have much more than you. Don't be taken in when they paternally pat you on the shoulder and say that there's no inequality worth speaking of and no more reason to fight because if you believe them they will be completely in charge in their marble homes and granite banks from which they rob the people of the world under the pretence of bringing them culture. Watch out, for as soon as it pleases them they'll send you out to protect their gold in wars whose weapons, rapidly developed by servile scientists, will become more and more deadly until they can with a flick of the finger tear a million of you to pieces."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 04:13 PM

5,726 posts, read 10,451,939 times
I can't source it but I'm not sure I would consider it visionary so much as universal.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:31 PM

13,680 posts, read 19,791,592 times
Says one of the founder's of the Reign of Terror. He joins a long list of "visionaries" (I prefer to call them murderers) that believed the ends justify the means.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:53 PM

164 posts, read 294,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Says one of the founder's of the Reign of Terror.
Marat died before the Reign of Terror; it was his assassination that helped lead to the Terror.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:12 PM

14,781 posts, read 37,900,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Leader in the French Revolution.
1743-1793 (murdered).

I did a paper on this historical figure many years ago. To be honest
I do not remember all the details but I definitely considered him to
be one of the most interesting figures of the French Revolution.

Can anyone source this quote ?

Rather visionary, is it not ?

"Don't be deceived when they tell you things are better now. Even if there's no poverty to be seen because the poverty's been hidden. Even if you ever got more wages and could afford to buy more of these new and useless goods which industries foist on you and even if it seems to you that you never had so much, that is only the slogan of those who still have much more than you. Don't be taken in when they paternally pat you on the shoulder and say that there's no inequality worth speaking of and no more reason to fight because if you believe them they will be completely in charge in their marble homes and granite banks from which they rob the people of the world under the pretence of bringing them culture. Watch out, for as soon as it pleases them they'll send you out to protect their gold in wars whose weapons, rapidly developed by servile scientists, will become more and more deadly until they can with a flick of the finger tear a million of you to pieces."
Those words were never spoken by Jean-Paul Marat...at least not the actual Jean-Paul Marat. They are lines from the Peter Weiss play Marat/Sade. Weiss was making a statement about culture and humanity of the 1960's using his own interpretation of what he believed Marat would say. The entire play is a review of class struggle and human suffering. The central theme is exploring whether the "true revolution" happens when you change society or change oneself. It is very 1960's, hence why the quote seems so generally relevant and "visionary" had it actually been uttered by a man of the 18th century.

The quote is regularly posted by many bloggers and other people online who mistakenly attribute it to the actual Marat.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:20 PM

13,680 posts, read 19,791,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgr View Post
Marat died before the Reign of Terror; it was his assassination that helped lead to the Terror.
I am aware of the timeline of his death. He was part of the same radical faction that led the reign of terror, which indeed reached it's apex after his death. His rhetoric was extremely violent - He himself endorsed mass executions as part of the revolution ("five or six hundred heads cut-off would ensure peace..." is a direct quote from one of his papers).

The French King was already guillotined, the "September massacre" had occurred the previous year (for which he can at least be partly blamed for), the opposing factions were already in jail facing trial, the French were in the midst of war with the rest of Europe. The writing was already on the walls for the extreme turn of the revolution - I submit that it wasn't his assassination that led to the Reign of Terror, rather, it was his ideals, his, to repeat the concept of this thread - VISION.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:04 PM

704 posts, read 460,726 times
Also, much of that sounds anachronistic for the 1700's.

Quote:
Even if you ever got more wages and could afford to buy more of these new and useless goods which industries foist on you and even if it seems to you that you never had so much, that is only the slogan of those who still have much more than you.
more wages? industries? new and useless goods? The industrial revolution was just getting started in the late 1700's, and no one was being offered "more wages" to buy "new and useless goods". Most people then, if they managed to get any money, would use it to buy food. starvation was still common

Quote:
Watch out, for as soon as it pleases them they'll send you out to protect their gold in wars whose weapons, rapidly developed by servile scientists, will become more and more deadly until they can with a flick of the finger tear a million of you to pieces."
I doubt anyone at that time had any idea of the weapons to come, nor was developing weapons a job for scientists back then.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:14 PM

9,982 posts, read 7,251,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Those words were never spoken by Jean-Paul Marat...at least not the actual Jean-Paul Marat. They are lines from the Peter Weiss play Marat/Sade. Weiss was making a statement about culture and humanity of the 1960's using his own interpretation of what he believed Marat would say. The entire play is a review of class struggle and human suffering. The central theme is exploring whether the "true revolution" happens when you change society or change oneself. It is very 1960's, hence why the quote seems so generally relevant and "visionary" had it actually been uttered by a man of the 18th century.

The quote is regularly posted by many bloggers and other people online who mistakenly attribute it to the actual Marat.
thanks for clearing this up.
it really was an out-of-place quote.
something that could be expected by a Da Vinci or a Verne.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:47 AM

10,744 posts, read 9,630,809 times
I prefer "What me, worry?"

Can you source it? If so, you are OOOOLLLLDDD, like me.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:50 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,636,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I prefer "What me, worry?"

Can you source it? If so, you are OOOOLLLLDDD, like me.
alfred e newman, I am old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History