Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 10:44 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,005,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
The slavic people are all over Central Europe, Eastern Europe, Southeast Europe.

Is it because these people have no country of origin? They moved around like native tribes?

And slavic people are white!! Yes white!! So how did the Nazies even could tell them from non slavic people?

slavic people

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...b96d2a7411.jpg

Festival of Slavs and Vikings 2013 by IlmarinenKowal on DeviantArt

Festival of Slavs and Vikings 2013 by IlmarinenKowal on DeviantArt

Where slavic people moved around like native tribes and gypsies? No country of origin just moved around in tribes?

Is that why Nazies hated them for moving around? The slavic people are really white and from a physical appearance cannot tell them tell them apart. So why did the they hated them so much?
The problem was Germans didnt have a race for themselves and they were more of Gypsies and barbarians . They moved around with no real success or history for themselves until Bismarck. And we all know winners write histories, so they could write some from 1871 to 1945.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 10:49 AM

7,572 posts, read 5,284,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
P.S. Romanians are not Slavs as far as I know.
Not an expert on such things but it appears that Romanians are the only population in Eastern Europe whose linguistic roots are in the Romance Languages not Indo-European like the Slavs. If that helps any.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:58 AM

17,264 posts, read 11,101,106 times
Thank you for pointing that out about Romania. I looked it up and they aren't considered Slavic but more Latin or of Roman origins including their language. It's good to learn things.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:05 AM

26,750 posts, read 22,271,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
It most likely comes from slovo, as in some 700 BC I don't think the "glorious ones" wasn't really something people thought about. Also the word nemci would speak for this. Slovo = our people, nemci = not our people.

Nemci is the basis for the modern term for Germans in most Slavic languages, for those who don't know.
They dispute the origin of this word in Ethnonym section, and both version are considered with "o" and "a" (the "o" version would indicate the origin of the word "slovo" as in "word" and the "a" version would indicate "slava" ) glory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavs

However the more back you go, ( at least in Russian language,) the more it tends to stress the letter "o" in conversational speech, so I would think that "Slovene" would be more "it."
But really, the more I am looking into it, the more it looks to me that the whole bunch of people ( of different tribes of unknown origin, and most likely even originally not related) got under the general definition of "Slavs." ( I mean it looks like that somehow they are not even GENETICALLY related.)
No wonder then that I could never get a sense of who "Slavs" really were, in the same manner as you get the idea about the Greeks, or Romans, or Scandinavians, or Gauls in France.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Thank you for pointing that out about Romania. I looked it up and they aren't considered Slavic but more Latin or of Roman origins including their language. It's good to learn things.

Heck, I am digging into it myself and "learning things"))))

Old 11-26-2015, 11:37 AM

5,682 posts, read 4,843,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Yes, I've read it all, but given the consideration that the identification of what "Slavs" are, is not even easy to pinpoint, the "origin" of this word might be not more than a myth.

"Modern nations and ethnic groups called by the ethnonym Slavs are considerably diverse both genetically and culturally, and relations between them – even within the individual ethnic groups themselves – are varied, ranging from a sense of connection to mutual feelings of hostility."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavs

P.S. Romanians are not Slavs as far as I know.
That's because they originated from northwestern Ukraine/southwestern Belarus/eastern Poland. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Slavs the population then expanded, however there were still natives in the lands they expanded into and so their genes and culture mixed. Also some ethnic groups became slavisized mainly the Bulgarians which are the desendents of the Turkic Bulgars from central Russia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgars furthermore Romanians are mostly Slavic, but their ancestors were absorbed into the privious culture living there, became assimilated and gave up their Slavic roots.

Old 11-26-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
That's because they originated from northwestern Ukraine/southwestern Belarus/eastern Poland. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Slavs

Well yeah? Are you that sure?

Is it the same slavs that lived "north of the River Danube, east of the River Elbe, and west of the River Vistula during the 530s CE.[7] "

Yes or no?
Because I am USED to think that that's where Slavs originated from - somewhere Ukraine/Poland - in that area, but I am looking at the map now http://images.slideplayer.com/2/6883...s/slide_19.jpg
to get the idea where the "north of Danube east of Elbe" whatever is, and it doesn't look like Ukraine at all))) Plus it's the 530ies CE, not 8th century, closer to what we are used to think about the "Kievan state" and all)))
No wonder they can't pinpoint the origin of Slavic tribes even until now, saying that they "appeared from obscurity" and that "The Proto-Slavic homeland therefore corresponds to the area of settlement of early Slavs during the early centuries AD in Central and Eastern Europe. The search for a more precise location of the Proto-Slavic core area, however, has not resulted in a consensus among archaeologists, ethnographers and historians.[28][29]"

Old 11-26-2015, 01:13 PM

18,788 posts, read 27,223,935 times
1. all wars are run due to economical reasons and goals
2. what became Germany, historically, had sights set on most fertile and desired lands to the East
3. it was nothing new for the 3rd reich to go same direction
4. to justify that, as usual, some sort of rhetoric had to be developed. They have dog heads and eat babies. Are born slaves and need masters. The usual.
5. says who Slavs have no origins? Those who keep pushing expansion in that direction, using any pretext to speak low of the people inhabiting the land? If you listen to the other part, Slavs and Russians originated from Hiperborea and even founded Roman empire. Tribe of Etrusks. Et - Rusk.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:15 PM

18,788 posts, read 27,223,935 times
Be aware, that what is commonly accepted in the West as classic history of Russia, was technically written by three Germans in the 18th century. I'd trust none to such product.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
The problem was Germans didnt have a race for themselves and they were more of Gypsies and barbarians . They moved around with no real success or history for themselves until Bismarck. And we all know winners write histories, so they could write some from 1871 to 1945.
Well no, although it's true that what we know as "Germans" in modern history are comprised from different tribes from obscure origin as well ( and that were probably initially not all related to each other,) and what seems to be common for them is Scandinavian bloodlines that glued them all together ( Scandinavians were settling among them here and there.) After all "Germanic tribes" ( where Germany takes its name origin I suppose) are originally just that - Scandinavians. The French identify Germans in their language by a different name - les Allemands, according to the name of one of their tribes I've heard.
What's even more interesting, Bismarck ( who basically created German state) was very specific when it was coming to Russia ( the most powerful Slavic state in modern history.) He was saying that the key to future German prosperity was to maintain friendly relations with Russia. He believed that "Slav and Teuton" could be prospering and developing side by side, and was warning at all cost to avoid a war with Russia.
"The secret of politics? Make a good treaty with Russia" - those were his words for Germany, and that's precisely what Hitler didn't listen later on. The consequences for Germany were quite devastating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History