Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 12:36 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
1. all wars are run due to economical reasons and goals
2. what became Germany, historically, had sights set on most fertile and desired lands to the East
3. it was nothing new for the 3rd reich to go same direction
4. to justify that, as usual, some sort of rhetoric had to be developed. They have dog heads and eat babies. Are born slaves and need masters. The usual.
5. says who Slavs have no origins? Those who keep pushing expansion in that direction, using any pretext to speak low of the people inhabiting the land? If you listen to the other part, Slavs and Russians originated from Hiperborea and even founded Roman empire. Tribe of Etrusks. Et - Rusk.
The scientists. The archeologists, the linguists, and those who study historiography.
They can't quite pinpoint it.
Here is more to add to confusion;

"A more intensive and longer connection between Proto-Slavonic and Germanic languages can be assumed due to the great number of Germanic loanwords.[51] For instance, words like *duma ("thought"), *kupiti ("to buy"), *mĕčь ("sword"), *šelmъ ("helmet"), and *xъlmъ ("hill") belong to this group.[51] The Common Slavonic words for beech, larch and yew were also borrowed from Germanic, which led the Polish botanist Józef Rostafiński to search the Slavic homeland in the Pripet Marshes where these plants were missing.[52] Germanic languages also served as a mediator between Common Slavonic and other languages: for instance, the Proto-Slavonic word for emperor (*cĕsar'ь) was transmitted from Latin through a Germanic idiom, similarly to the Common Slavonic word for church (*crъky) from the Greek language.[51]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Slavs

They ( historioghraphers) definitely describe the early Slavs - "

"The Slavs under name of the Antes and the Sclaveni make their first appearance in Byzantine records in the early 6th century. Byzantine historiographers under Justinian I (527–565), such as Procopius of Caesarea, Jordanes and Theophylact Simocatta describe tribes of these names emerging from the area of the Carpathian Mountains, the lower Danube and the Black Sea, invading the Danubian provinces of the Eastern Empire.
Procopius wrote in 545 that "the Sclaveni and the Antae actually had a single name in the remote past; for they were both called Spori in olden times." He describes their social structure and beliefs:
For these nations, the Sclaveni and the Antae, are not ruled by one man, but they have lived from of old under a democracy, and consequently everything which involves their welfare, whether for good or for ill, is referred to the people. It is also true that in all other matters, practically speaking, these two barbarian peoples have had from ancient times the same institutions and customs. For they believe that one god, the maker of lightning, is alone lord of all things, and they sacrifice to him cattle and all other victims."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavs

No one can simply pinpoint their exact origin it seems, that's why I suspect that the word "Slavs" really identify the whole bunch of unrelated people. Because - who the heck are "Spori" now, that (supposedly) were "same people as Antes and Scalveni" ? And is their origin REALLY from Ukraine/Poland area?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 01:00 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times
All of this has been quite interesting, but really doesn't address the thread topic. If that is the case... I'll move on.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
All of this has been quite interesting, but really doesn't address the thread topic. If that is the case... I'll move on.
Well I already addressed it in the very beginning.
It's all about the racial theories of Arthur de Gobineau, that were later adopted for Nazi ideology.
What else is there to discuss?

Old 11-26-2015, 01:32 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times
I find this all historically quite interesting and for myself, helps to understand the history of the Slavic people and why Hitler disliked them so much. Of course, much of it is theory, but still very interesting.

Old 11-26-2015, 03:38 PM

1,230 posts, read 991,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I don't believe that they did hate slavs.

Nazis called them sub human base on the wikipedia page and where not considered Aryans.

Nazis also hated the Poles and Russians for some reason. May be because they supported communism.

The white Northern and Western Europeans (consisting of Germans, Swedes, Icelanders, Norwegians, Danes, British, Irish, Dutch, Northern French, etc.) Where the top of race Hierarchy.

Nazis where looking for Aryans. Just because such person was really white ,blonde hair ,blue eyes, pale skin don't make them Aryans.

But how could they even tell the deference back than they had no DNA test if they where Aryans?

This girl is really white but can be any where in Europe

http://img.allw.mn/content/makeup/20...arm-colors.jpg

http://www.prettygirlsblog.net/2015/01/15/fYU7L0v.jpg

Russians don't stand out from any other white people in Europe.

http://specials-images.forbesimg.com...kground=000000

http://realhistoryww.com/world_histo...uristani_5.jpg

I wonder if some of it was because of political reasons the Slavs, Russians and Poles supporting communism.

Old 11-26-2015, 03:41 PM

1,230 posts, read 991,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I find this all historically quite interesting and for myself, helps to understand the history of the Slavic people and why Hitler disliked them so much. Of course, much of it is theory, but still very interesting.
But where are Slavic people from? What country did they come from before they moved all over Central Europe, Eastern Europe, Southeast Europe.

Old 11-26-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
But where are Slavic people from? What country did they come from before they moved all over Central Europe, Eastern Europe, Southeast Europe.
Erm... they came "from north of the River Danube, east of the River Elbe, and west of the River Vistula"
Somewhere in that general direction they say))))

P.S. Poland had got nothing to do with Communism. And I mean nothing, until Russians decided to show them the "right way."
But that was already AFTER Hitler, so Hitler couldn't have anything against Poles in this respect.

Old 11-26-2015, 04:49 PM

1,772 posts, read 1,504,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Well no, although it's true that what we know as "Germans" in modern history are comprised from different tribes from obscure origin as well ( and that were probably initially not all related to each other,) and what seems to be common for them is Scandinavian bloodlines that glued them all together ( Scandinavians were settling among them here and there.) After all "Germanic tribes" ( where Germany takes its name origin I suppose) are originally just that - Scandinavians. The French identify Germans in their language by a different name - les Allemands, according to the name of one of their tribes I've heard.
Yes, modern Germans are a mixture of Germanic tribes (many of them didn't originate from Scandinavia but were native to Northern Germany), Celts, Romans, Slavs and other minor tribes like the Nordwestblock cultures.
The term "Germany/Germania" dates back to Caesar who ignored the fact that there were also non-germanic tribes living east of the Rhine. shanv3 shouldn't assume a continuation from germanic tribes straight to Bismarck.

Old 11-26-2015, 05:04 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
Quote:
Erm... they came "from north of the River Danube, east of the River Elbe, and west of the River Vistula"
Somewhere in that general direction they say))))

P.S. Poland had got nothing to do with Communism. And I mean nothing, until Russians decided to show them the "right way."
But that was already AFTER Hitler, so Hitler couldn't have anything against Poles in this respect.
He probably hated poles because prior to WWI poland didn't exist and was divided between germany and russia. Then after WWI germany had to give up a large portion of their land to create the polish state.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:29 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,570,820 times
Quote:
I
this leaves me with even more doubt that the word "slaves" has been attributed to some particular group of people, that lived somewhere "north of the River Danube, east of the River Elbe, and west of the River Vistula during the 530s CE."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Slavs

P.S. And while I was digging all that, I remembered one more thing from a different thread, where I am going to post it...

This
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History