U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 07:26 PM

218 posts, read 259,646 times

Advertisements

Yes, I'm aware of the mechanics of sexual relations. My question is how did blacks and whites reproduce together after slavery and before the Civil Rights Movement, roughly from 1865 and 1965. What were the social arrangements and situations that led to it? Did they have nuclear families? If so, how was it done since interracial marriage was outlawed?
Rate this post positively

Old 12-01-2015, 07:30 PM

2,892 posts, read 1,224,057 times
I didn't happen. It was rare.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:47 PM

3,053 posts, read 4,110,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escondudo View Post
Yes, I'm aware of the mechanics of sexual relations. My question is how did blacks and whites reproduce together after slavery and before the Civil Rights Movement, roughly from 1865 and 1965. What were the social arrangements and situations that led to it? Did they have nuclear families? If so, how was it done since interracial marriage was outlawed?
It was illegal in some states for whites to marry blacks. The children of such unions could face discrimination and it would be unlikely that the white father would publicly acknowledge the child. If it was a case of white woman, black male it could led to riots. Basically marriage would be out of the question except closer to the civil rights movement in the northern states and as late as the 70ies it could get ugly in the south.

Now as for black woman, white man that arrangement would occur for various reasons(i.e. power, prostitution, love) but marriage was out of the question.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:34 PM

Anyone have any specific stories from historical accounts or situations?

Old 12-02-2015, 11:36 PM

8,452 posts, read 12,530,139 times
Quote:
You might want to research this newsworthy couple, Sammy Davis, Jr. and May Britt. Here's a taste of their issues:

Why JFK Refused to Let Sammy Davis Jr. Perform at White House - ABC News

Rat Pack's Sammy Davis Jr. Lives On Through Daughter's Stories : NPR

Old 12-03-2015, 10:59 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,845,160 times
Quote:
The late Strom Thurmond, US Senator from South Carolina and a staunch segregationist who ran for POTUS in 1948 on the Dixiecrat ticket because he opposed Harry Truman's order desegregating the US military and who left the Democratic Party in the 1960s over the party's stand in favor of civil rights, had a bi-racial daughter, Essie Mae Washington-Williams. While he supported her and paid for her college education, he never acknowledged her publicly, although his children did. She wrote a memoir about her life that was nominated for a National Book Award and a Pulitzer Prize in 2005, Dear Senator: A Memoir by the Daughter of Strom Thurmond.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:29 AM

8,232 posts, read 4,521,658 times
In some cases in more socially liberal areas there were intact family units. In others the mother became a single mother and/or raised the child with the next man to come into her life.

The story of my mother's side of the family says that around the turn of the last century her great grandmother had a baby with a white man. Both her and the father were lynched and his parents, the white side, raised their grandchild until they married her off to another Black man at 14 years of age. The recessive genes have produced lighter skin tones family members through out the years with most of us being medium brown. By the time the generation born in the 1960s, whose parents were raised under Jim Crow in Louisana, came of age about 30% of us are in interracial relationships with Whites and Asians. The next generation, many of whom were service brats seem to be marrying inter-racially at a higher rate.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:56 AM

14,781 posts, read 37,917,475 times
Quote:
Interracial marriage was not outlawed in every state...not by far:

Grey = Never had a law on the books.
Green = Repealed before 1887.
Yellow = Repealed between 1948 and 1967.
Red = Repealed in 1967 by Supreme Court.

Of further interest is the fact that Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, South Carolina and Alabama all legalized interracial marriages during the Reconstruction period. It was not until the period known as the "Redemption" when white Democrats (aka Dixiecrats) came to power and passed laws banning interracial marriage in those states once again.

The interracial marriage discussion, while often focused on blacks and whites, does included Native Americans and Asians as well. There were large Asian populations in Alabama post-Civil War and they inter-married with both blacks and whites. Mexicans living along the Rio Grande in Texas regularly intermarried with blacks despite Mexicans being considered white and laws existing against it.

Even where laws against it existed, it did not stop it from happening and while certainly a minority of marriages there are famous examples throughout history, even in the 19th century. This list has a few famous ones:

10 Fascinating Interracial Marriages in History - Listverse

I would mainly look at the stories of:
George Schuyler & Josephine Cogdell - Married in 1928
Jack Johnson and Wives - Married in 1911,1912 & 1925
Frederick Douglass and Helen Pitts - Married in 1884

Old 12-04-2015, 09:21 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,094,654 times
Quote:
What were the social arrangements and situations that led to it? Did they have nuclear families? If so, how was it done since interracial marriage was outlawed?
Some coastal areas in the deep south were relatively racially tolerant- so long as the black people in question were fully acculturated as whites and well, not that black melanin wise. The most famous of these areas is of course south Louisiana with its formal creole culture. Other cities and areas such as Mobile and surrounding areas, the Mississippi gulf coast, Savannah, Charleston etc had a less formal creole culture.

The laws preventing inter racial marriage were then circumvented by the following line of "thought":

- Heck yes, I am against inter racial marriage- it should be outlawed! No, my son's wife is not black. She is uhmm..... "creole", "mullatto", "quadroon" "has Carribean background* " etc. etc. .

* In some southeren coastal areas such as Miami, Carribean blacks (in those days the only highly educated would have been allowed to immigrate in small number and their high education usually cooresponded with lighter complections and high incomes) were accorded some, or many white privelages.

Last edited by Cryptic; 12-04-2015 at 10:05 AM..

Old 12-04-2015, 03:30 PM

This is the stuff I've been looking for! I never accepted the idea that African Americans have 20% European DNA only from sexual assaults during slavery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or