Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:49 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,574,234 times

Advertisements

Once again I think the Vikings are being left out of history

Leif Eriksen discovered the Americas and Viking kings ruled and settled in Normandy and England for several hundred years prior to 1066.
All though I cannot provide you with any text I have been told by a number of people over the years of the similarities between Danish and old English.

But just look at the days of the week

Mandag, Tirsday, Onsdag, Torsdag, Fredag, Lordag, Sondag

Mondag, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday

The Danish week is all derived from names of Nordic GODS some good ans some not as good. You should all know ODIN (Odin's Dag), THOR (Thorsdag), FREYA(Freya's dag)

Where do you think the "ENGLISH" week came from?

My $0.02
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 11:09 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,400,502 times
The Normans were Vikings...The Angles & Saxons came before them. They were not "the Vikings" The Normans also ruled areas of Sicily. Many of the Germanic tribes were of Scandinavian descent and settled in areas all over Europe. Vikings were the last of the Nordic migrations. Viking means pirate.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:50 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,608,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
Once again I think the Vikings are being left out of history

Leif Eriksen discovered the Americas and Viking kings ruled and settled in Normandy and England for several hundred years prior to 1066.
All though I cannot provide you with any text I have been told by a number of people over the years of the similarities between Danish and old English.

But just look at the days of the week

Mandag, Tirsday, Onsdag, Torsdag, Fredag, Lordag, Sondag

Mondag, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday

The Danish week is all derived from names of Nordic GODS some good ans some not as good. You should all know ODIN (Odin's Dag), THOR (Thorsdag), FREYA(Freya's dag)

Where do you think the "ENGLISH" week came from?

My $0.02

Good point about the Norse involved in the Bloodlines and Language.

I reposted this from Mooseketeer who shows the timeline over the ages of the different peoples and their interactions on what we call english today. It includes the Norse in this.

Language Timeline

I wonder if there is an effort in England to restore Old English like there is for Latin. Besides the Catholic Church speaking Latin there are clubs and schools for reviving Latin so i wonder about schools or language clubs out there for Old English?

Old 02-05-2008, 01:20 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,766,078 times
A good book to read about the evolution of English is called "Mother Tongue" by Bill Bryson. Explains everything in lucid detail, especially the Norman-Saxon period where English took in all the French influences thus having many dual terms such as:

Pork/Porc- French
Swine/Schwein- German

Old 02-05-2008, 06:27 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Interestingly the closest link to Saxon English in Europe seems to be linguistically with Friesland in Holland. There was a fascinating programme with the comedian Eddie Izzard . He went to Friesland speaking "Saxon" English and managed to converse quite happily with farmers there.
That reminded me of a rhyme I learned when studying English language which shows the similarity between Frisian and English:

"Bread, butter, and green cheese is good English and good Fries" in English

"Brea, bûter, en griene tsiis is goed Ingelsk en goed Frysk" in Frisian

Has anyone else seen the 'Franglais' mentions in the UK press lately?.....a mangled combination of English and French. Miles Kington (writer & columnist for the Independent) was a great fan and his sad demise has prompted a myriad of bad but funny French sentences and phrases....

BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Au revoir Mister Franglais

and

BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Franglais: Your favourites

My favourite:

"The best I ever heard was from a schoolgirl on a trip to France.... She was being chatted up by a French lad she didn't fancy. Her words were "sur votre bicyclette, mate".

And the Eddie Izzard learning French skit isn't quite Franglais but is HYSTERICAL
YouTube - Eddie Izzard - Learning French

In fact this Franglais thing deserves a thread of its own......

Old 02-07-2008, 12:07 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,477,811 times
The Anglo-Saxon language appears to be closer to Welsh and Gaelic as it it is to modern English. Modern English really is 'bastard language' with several daddies!

Old 02-07-2008, 12:08 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,618,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
That reminded me of a rhyme I learned when studying English language which shows the similarity between Frisian and English:

"Bread, butter, and green cheese is good English and good Fries" in English

"Brea, bûter, en griene tsiis is goed Ingelsk en goed Frysk" in Frisian

Has anyone else seen the 'Franglais' mentions in the UK press lately?.....a mangled combination of English and French. Miles Kington (writer & columnist for the Independent) was a great fan and his sad demise has prompted a myriad of bad but funny French sentences and phrases....

BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Au revoir Mister Franglais

and

BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Franglais: Your favourites

My favourite:

"The best I ever heard was from a schoolgirl on a trip to France.... She was being chatted up by a French lad she didn't fancy. Her words were "sur votre bicyclette, mate".

And the Eddie Izzard learning French skit isn't quite Franglais but is HYSTERICAL
YouTube - Eddie Izzard - Learning French

In fact this Franglais thing deserves a thread of its own......

Eddie Izzard is wonderful in that programme. Very funny .
Franglais can be hilarious , mind you there is quite a lot of "proper" French in English to begin with.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:06 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
I use this little handout in an applied linguistics class I teach. Enjoy:

THE LORDS PRAYER – ENGLISH VERSIONS

It is useful to compare various versions of a familiar text to see the differences between Old, Middle, Modern, and Contemporary English. Take for instance this Old English (c. 1000) sample:

Fæder ure þu þe eart on heofonum
si þin nama gehalgod tobecume þin rice gewurþe þin willa on eorðan swa swa on heofonum
urne gedæghwamlican hlaf syle us to dæg
and forgyf us ure gyltas swa swa we forgyfað urum gyltendum
and ne gelæd þu us on costnunge ac alys us of yfele soþlice.

Rendered in Middle English (Wyclif, 1384), the same text is recognizable to the modern eye:

Oure fadir þat art in hevenes halwid be þi name;
þi kyngdom come to be. Be þi wille don in herþe as it is doun in hevene.
yeve to us today oure eche dayes bred.
And foryeve to us oure dettis þat is oure synnys as we foryeven to oure dettouris þat is to men þat han synned in us.
And lede us not into temptacion but delyvere us from evyl.

In Early Modern English (King James Version, 1611) the same text is completely intelligible:

Our father which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evill. Amen.

Contemporary texts have attempted to update the language. From The New International version (1981):

Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.

Finally, here is a parody of what might be called a post-modern interpretation…..

Our Friend, in your Happy Place,
We're really comfortable with who you are.
May you realize your vision and find closure,
in our delicate eco-system, as within your own personal environment.
Please consider helping us to only non-exploitative, organic foods, and don't be judgmental of us, as we're trying not to judge other people (so long as they're not hurtful or insensitive or anything).And please help us to remember that arbitrary constructs of good and bad have no place in our personal choices, so long as they are based on ignorance or prejudice.
For you are totally centered, inclusive and non-threatening, which we think is both authentic and beautiful. And we hope you will keep it up as long as you feel it is appropriate.

Peace

GROUP HUG

Last edited by Yeledaf; 02-08-2008 at 02:16 PM..

Old 02-08-2008, 03:35 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,111,105 times
Thanks, Yeledaf for the lesson--nice to see these all together.

The Old and Middle English versions resemble the modern Germanic languages I am familiar with and speak (occasionally).

Old 02-08-2008, 04:50 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,608,169 times
Thanks for that Yeledaf....as again you can see how Middle English is easier to read than Old English. So am i a Norman instead of Anglo/Saxon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History