U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 09:37 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,849,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
Liberals benefited the most from Kennedy's death in 1963. When Kennedy died, LBJ said as a tribute to him, Congress should pass his legislation that was stalled in a conservative dominated Congress that existed since the late 1930s. That included the Civil Right Act of 1964. The 1964 election was a great triumph for liberals. The mourning of Kennedy and the fact Goldwater was such a poor candidate gave liberals more Congressional seats and a majority. The Great Society programs were passed in 1965 and 1966 as a result.
That's not the reason to take out the President. Otherwise Obama would've been shot already. Hillary has bigger balls than LBJ.

I think the most likely culprit is the one all the visible clues lead to - Mafia with perhaps silent approval / inaction, perhaps even cooperation by Hoover.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 12:36 PM

541 posts, read 734,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
That's not the reason to take out the President. Otherwise Obama would've been shot already. Hillary has bigger balls than LBJ.

I think the most likely culprit is the one all the visible clues lead to - Mafia with perhaps silent approval / inaction, perhaps even cooperation by Hoover.
I don't think there was a conspiracy. I think LHO killed him by himself, just as the Warren Commission stated.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:07 PM

930 posts, read 905,159 times
The same who benefitted from the killing of Lincoln, the banking elite who didn't want to renounce their privilege of printing money and lend it to the USA government thus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_11110

Old 12-19-2015, 03:43 PM

12,768 posts, read 11,978,974 times
Since JFK's assassination, we have seen many possible theories about who might have killed him.
Castro
Anti-Castro Cubans
CIA
Mafia
Russians
FBI
Military-Industrial Complex
and many more
What evidence exists to indicate that the assassination was carried out by the group with the best motive? On whose analysis is the determination of the best motive? Yours and mine may differ. If we agree it was the Mafia, then we need to decide if it was Trafficanti, Marcello, Giancanti, or Roselli (I may have spelled those badly). If it was the CIA, was it regular or rogue agents? If the FBI did it, did Hoover direct it? Etc.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Since JFK's assassination, we have seen many possible theories about who might have killed him.
Castro
Anti-Castro Cubans
CIA
Mafia
Russians
FBI
Military-Industrial Complex
and many more
What evidence exists to indicate that the assassination was carried out by the group with the best motive? On whose analysis is the determination of the best motive? Yours and mine may differ. If we agree it was the Mafia, then we need to decide if it was Trafficanti, Marcello, Giancanti, or Roselli (I may have spelled those badly). If it was the CIA, was it regular or rogue agents? If the FBI did it, did Hoover direct it? Etc.
My take:

Castro: unlikely. This would destroy him and Cuba if there was even a shred of evidence. I don't think Khruschev would come to the aid of Castro's Cuba in this scenario, either. And what would this achieve, anyway ? His enemy was the US, not the President per se.

Anti-Castro Cubans: they did not have the means and, again, this would not achieve anything and could destroy everything.

CIA: same thing. Killing US President over.. what exactly ? And if this ever came out, then or now or in 50 more years, the Agency would be destroyed. They may have disliked JFK but he was just another President. Nothing special.

Mafia: they had the motive. Not just revenge (although they certainly wanted revenge) but the fact that Kennedy was out to get them, and he probably would. Without him, Robert was done for as AG. To me, Jack Ruby's involvement in silencing Oswald is extremely telling.

Russians: no way. An assassination of US President would be the sure way to start WW3, and they just went to great pains to defuse the Cuban crisis. There were presidents before and after JFK that would appear far more threatening to Russians, why kill JFK ? I read that Khruschev actually started to like him after their face to face meetings.

FBI the agency, no way. FBI the man in charge, Hoover, wouldn't put it past him. He was a scary figure and would stop at nothing to keep his position.

Military-Industrial Complex - why ? They had decades of Cold War ahead of them, and made good money on the Moon program that Kennedy had initiated. What would killing him achieve ? And what kind of conspiracy would be needed ? I just don't see the CEO of General Dynamics saying to the CEO of Boeing "Hey let's hire someone to shoot JFK". If they wanted to destroy him for whatever reason, they would do this politically.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:17 PM

5,185 posts, read 3,961,123 times
The Welfare State.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:52 PM

22,307 posts, read 21,408,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
My take:

Castro: unlikely. This would destroy him and Cuba if there was even a shred of evidence. I don't think Khruschev would come to the aid of Castro's Cuba in this scenario, either. And what would this achieve, anyway ? His enemy was the US, not the President per se.

Anti-Castro Cubans: they did not have the means and, again, this would not achieve anything and could destroy everything.

CIA: same thing. Killing US President over.. what exactly ? And if this ever came out, then or now or in 50 more years, the Agency would be destroyed. They may have disliked JFK but he was just another President. Nothing special.

Mafia: they had the motive. Not just revenge (although they certainly wanted revenge) but the fact that Kennedy was out to get them, and he probably would. Without him, Robert was done for as AG. To me, Jack Ruby's involvement in silencing Oswald is extremely telling.

Russians: no way. An assassination of US President would be the sure way to start WW3, and they just went to great pains to defuse the Cuban crisis. There were presidents before and after JFK that would appear far more threatening to Russians, why kill JFK ? I read that Khruschev actually started to like him after their face to face meetings.

FBI the agency, no way. FBI the man in charge, Hoover, wouldn't put it past him. He was a scary figure and would stop at nothing to keep his position.

Military-Industrial Complex - why ? They had decades of Cold War ahead of them, and made good money on the Moon program that Kennedy had initiated. What would killing him achieve ? And what kind of conspiracy would be needed ? I just don't see the CEO of General Dynamics saying to the CEO of Boeing "Hey let's hire someone to shoot JFK". If they wanted to destroy him for whatever reason, they would do this politically.
I would tend to agree with this. Almost definitely the Mafia, not that they had more to gain, but they always want their revenge. And they were wronged and were also being pursued by RFK so they would have demanded revenge and to get rid of both of them. I don't know which Mafia bosses were involved--that's where it gets very confusing. Also the FBI in the name of J. Edgar Hoover who hated JFK and was a power freak. Parts of the CIA could have been in on it too. So many books I've read seem to implicate the CIA. I think some combination of those three factions killed the President.

On thing I will never forget because it was said in all sincerity: "I'm just a patsy." Oswald had an incredulous expression on his face and in his voice when he uttered those words as if--Well, of course I was set up. How can you not know that?

He was obviously involved somehow. Some say he worked for the CIA. He liked to think he was doing something important so it wasn't that hard to manipulate him. Just make him feel that he is indispensable and he'll go along with the plan. He was set up and I've read that he actually expected someone to pick him up and take him (to an airport?) after the shooting. But he was somewhat of a loser, a sucker, a patsy. Ruby had to silence him. If he hadn't we probably would have had the truth.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:49 AM

12,768 posts, read 11,978,974 times
While I agree completely with both Ummagumma and in_newengland, the point I was making is that just because the Mafia had the best motive is not sufficient reason to assume they did it to the exclusion of all others who had motives (although lesser motives). Rogue CIA agents responsible for the botched Bay if Pigs fiasco could certainly have felt threatened enough by JFK's threat to tear the CIA into a thousand pieces to have done the deed, even though we all think the Mafia had a better motive. Rogue CIA agents certainly had the skills to pull off an assassination. The CIA had already done several head of state assassinations.

in_newengland, I think I read somewhere that Oswald may have planned to meet up with David Ferrie at Redbird Airport to be flown out of town.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:16 AM

The problem I have with "rogue CIA" theory is the willingness of individual agents to commit the most high profile crime imaginable, guaranteed to receive the higher levels of scrutiny, and if discovered guaranteed to land them at least the life sentence, all in the name of the agency. Not the country, not their own survival, but basically to protect a few high ranking bureaucrats.

To me, while not impossible, it's fairly improbable. Although there's always a possibility that one or two people just happened to have some major grudge against JFK.

I think whomever was involved had to fight for their own survival and had to hate Kennedy with passion.

Mafia matches this perfectly - they helped Kennedy brothers who then turned on them and started a massive hunt for the Mafia bosses and rank and file members alike. If Kennedy spent another four years in the office with Robert in charge of DOJ, no Mafia member would be safe. And Jack Ruby was a Mafia member or at least a criminal who associated himself with them.

Hoover also matches this scenario - he was only alive as long as he was in charge of FBI and there were indications that Kennedies wanted him out. The way he handled himself over the decades, he wouldn't survive - quite literally - if he ever lost his position. Plus, he genuinely hated JFK.

The rest of the suspects just don't make as much sense, especially USSR - they had absolutely no reason to kill Kennedy and every reason to fear being blamed for this. AFAIK they immediately gave us all the info they had on Oswald.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:03 AM

3,517 posts, read 6,641,787 times
Who benefitted......

1. Civil rights advocates, who got a successor who knew how to negotiate!

2. NASA, who got stepped-up public support for 'landing a man on the moon, and returning him safely to the earth'!

3. Bobby's rep! While I don't wish the loss of a brother on anyone, public support and sympathy started to become crazy for him! (see '64 Convention, anti-war years, up to his death!). Didn't he have a reputation as a little brat, pre-11/22/63?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History