U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 07:46 PM

28,900 posts, read 48,680,799 times

Advertisements

I reject the notion of the military industrial complex having a hand in it, chiefly because Kennedy had already committed the United States in Vietnam to some degree and had grown into a hawk while staring down the Russians in the Cold War in both Germany and in Cuba. Instead, I think we had a coup d'etat masterminded by Lyndon Johnson.

Think about it for a second. Johnson was being marginalized by the day by the Kennedy administration. In fact, Bobby Kennedy despised the man, who resorted to blackmail and intimidation to nab the VP slot at the 1960 Democratic convention. Also, remember the RFK had been feeding Life magazine material for an expose on LBJ that was due out within a few weeks of the assassination. Plus RFK was also fueling a Senate investigation into LBJ's corruption. In other words, Johnson's political career could have been numbered in weeks. This is well-documented. The intent, of course, was to drop him from the 1964 ticket, and even put LBJ in jail.

Yet, if you read Caro's three-volume biography, Johnson was a man who was driven by three impulses: a) An insatiable quest for power; b) an unmatched capacity for secrecy and amorality even by the standards of Washington; and c) the realization that he would die at a relatively early age, as was pretty much par for the course in his family. The assassination took place on Johnson's home turf of Dallas, and was likely abetted by any number of local power brokers.

Hey, I'm not even much of a conspiracy theorist. But after reading Path To Power, I realized that this was a man quite capable of doing anything to gain the Oval Office.

Last edited by cpg35223; 12-31-2015 at 08:37 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History