U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 05:21 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,924,516 times

Advertisements

Without VietNam, the U.S. military would still be drafting young men (and maybe women).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 06:56 PM

6,564 posts, read 12,802,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
I would like to find a cure for it. It saddens me to see you suffering so much from the symptoms. Because it's obvious why you didn't want to get into "domestic politics", even though you were talking about Americans not having anything to hate after 1991... until.... but you didn't mean THAT sort of domestic politics.
Thanks for confirming first impressions. I truly appreciate your candid consistency.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:59 PM

9,982 posts, read 7,174,430 times
If JFK/RFK were President, I don't think there would have been a Vietnam
like the country experienced under LBJ/Nixon at all.
Vietnam is not on JFK's shoulders by a longshot.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:52 PM

19,798 posts, read 7,770,126 times
Let's be clear about one thing. We saw when the Khmer Rouge won in Democratic Kampuchea f/k/a Cambodia and North Vietnam conquered South Vietnam there were bloodbaths. Also, valuable time was bought to enable South Korea and Taiwan to become strong and stable, The Philippines also gained valuable time to stabilize though the results were not as salubrious. As a result of this time being bought, the Western Pacific did not become a Communist lake.

Why were the demands to "stop the war" focused only on the U.S.? Couldn't Hanoi have also "stopped the war"?

Old 12-13-2015, 10:55 PM

2,119 posts, read 1,579,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Thanks for confirming first impressions. I truly appreciate your candid consistency.

You should try candid consistency sometime. It'll make you less ideological and thus you won't seem so politically incontinent.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:12 AM

7,326 posts, read 4,292,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
It's almost impossible to defend the Vietnam War now, but we are all being "Monday morning quarterbacks"
Sorry but I was "quarterbacking" during the game.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:48 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,720,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
That's a good point. In fact the primary impetus for the formation of the entire 1960s counterculture would not have existed. The culture of the Baby Boom generation would be completely different.

The songs "Won't get fooled again" by the Who and "War Pigs" by Black Sabbath would never have been written. That would be a loss.
Those same people voted in GeeDub and sat back while we sent more young Americans to war. While rocking out to those songs in a comfortable recliner.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:53 AM

13,440 posts, read 19,560,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Couldn't Hanoi have also "stopped the war"?
Good point. Ironically the "heroic peace-loving peoples army" of Vietnam didn't feel compelled to stop waring with it's neighbors, even after American troops left, until almost 1990.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:39 AM

19,731 posts, read 12,856,915 times
Edwinn Starr had it right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d8C4AIFgUg

I lost a lot of good friends during the VN war. One of the darkest points in our history IMO.

Don

Old 12-14-2015, 08:03 AM

2,369 posts, read 1,486,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I am younger than the war, so I don't know it. It's captured in Platoon, but intermixed with video games and 300. I know it's different, but I don't know it. Sometimes I feel I should know more about it, and am amazed at how close it is...but it couldn't be further.

My Dad was Navy for 6 years during nam. Upon returning he didn't pick up his medals and for a long time didn't identify as a veteran. I didn't notice anything unusual growing up, but as a kid anytime I'd get a toy gun, it wasn't more than a day or two and it would be gone. I was a preteen before I knew he'd been in the military, as an excited boy he quickly doused enthusiasm by telling me he worked on radios, and made it sound like the most boring thing ever. I was 36 when my then 98 year old grandmother shared some letters with me he'd sent. Apparently he raided POW camps. She spoke of some regret of when he first came back, the clean-cut boy she'd given had changed. She made him shower and get a haircut before she'd let him in.

My Step-Father in Law fought. He is Vietnamese. A member of a family that owned and operated businesses he was quick to want to fight the communists and save his country. He was trained in special ops, parachuting deep into enemy territory to do covert actions. He was captured at some point, and was in a POW prison for more than 20 years. Bush Sr. arranged for the last POWs to be released. Released not being the same as welcomed, he reunited with his wife, who had thought him dead and had already remarried and been widowed again. They moved to the US, children and stepchildren. I've seen his letter from President Bush. He has some pictures of him as a young man, jumping from airplanes. It took years for any payment to be made for the years of being a POW.

Both men are intelligent and quite capable in many areas. If nothing else, the war cost them their prime that could have been devoted in other areas. That alone is expensive...nowhere near the entire cost of that war.

But the topic is on what good came from the war. The good was that a skinny Viet girl came to the US as a late refugee. And a chubby American boy thought she was pretty cool. Both being after the war, with silent father figures, we met, fell in love, started a business, grew a career and are raising a family. We're a member of the community. Donate to various causes. Purchased a home for a family. From the business we worked to make Operation Prom Dress possible in San Jose, which has given thousands of dresses to teens that needed a dress, and we're not done yet, and hopefully our family isn't done yet either.

Again, not worth the number of families destroyed by that or any war, but after a forest burns, the green shoots of healing can start a forest again. To silver linings.
Excellent post, enjoyed reading every word!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History