U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 12:45 AM

6,564 posts, read 12,903,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Spartans were trained to kill unarmed. In order to gain full citizenship a warrior had to murder a helot with his bare hands without being caught in the act. If caught, he would be punished not for the murder, but for being caught.
Which source says this, about having to murder a helot without getting caught?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 09:06 AM

258 posts, read 476,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Which source says this, about having to murder a helot without getting caught?
Plutarch, if I remember correctly.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:25 AM

21,708 posts, read 24,137,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicks45 View Post
So awhile back a friend and I were watching Spartacus and he made the comment that in reality while they would indeed be buff they wouldn't be ripped like they are in the show. I asked him why and he said because back then they didn't have access to good nutrition or supplements like we have, would you agree?

Also, hypothetically if you had say 10 Spartans from the time go up against 10 Navy SEAL guys today in hand to hand combat do you think the Spartans could win?

The Spartans were the spec ops of their day.

I think people then were less fat than people today simply due to the availability of the foods and they basically moved all day long. They weren't as sedentary as people today. They probably weren't the body builder physique but neither are most SEALS. They are fit but huge muscles are IMO detrimental.

As for the SEALs they are H2H combat trained and would most likely win. Maybe not 100% no losses but overall would win.
Most likely they would see each other as the Warriors they are team up and kick the **** out of Xerxes.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:57 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,094,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The Spartans were the spec ops of their day.
I don't think the "special forces" describes the Spartans. Nor, do I think the Spartans would have self identified as special operations soldiers- even of the term was explained to them. Though a closely allied Greek hill tribe supplied scouts, trackers, etc. to the Spartan army, the Spartans were standard Greek heavy infantry trained to an exceptional level and using standard Greek heavy infantry tactics. The Spartans also had a small number of heavy infantry warriors who were skilled even by Spartan standards and served as the King's Life Guards.

I think the Spartans would be better described as Marines, Rangers, Foreign Legionaires, Waffen SS (Nazi politics aside), Napoleon's Old Guard etc. whose training started at what- age 7?. The key difference is that the Spartans transformed an entire society into an elite military unit. Most other societies only do this with carefully selected individuals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Spartans were trained to kill unarmed. In order to gain full citizenship a warrior had to murder a helot with his bare hands without being caught in the act. If caught, he would be punished not for the murder, but for being caught.
I think Plutarch was reporting legend as the Spartans would have quickly run short of helots. The auther of The Gates of Fire, however, describes some Spartan warriors formed into a semi official hit squad whose duty was to eliminate troublesome helots that were uhhmm....."not going with the Spartan program" and thus pre-empt revolts. Helots (especially the more Spartanized ones), however, were too valuable to be killed in mass like Plutarch claims.

Last edited by Cryptic; 12-26-2015 at 05:23 PM..

Old 12-27-2015, 12:06 AM

274 posts, read 252,204 times
Spartacus was not a Spartan and lived at a time when Sparta was basically gone. He lived during the Roman Republic. He was a slave and a gladiator. Despite his name, he had nothing to do with Sparta

Old 12-28-2015, 12:27 AM

4,097 posts, read 2,954,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTiberiusx View Post
Spartacus was not a Spartan and lived at a time when Sparta was basically gone. He lived during the Roman Republic. He was a slave and a gladiator. Despite his name, he had nothing to do with Sparta
Latized version of Speradakos-- famous by his spear.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:26 PM

13,298 posts, read 18,303,453 times
I'd say they had much better nutrition than what is available now. All 200% natural and without any chemicals added.
Also, Spartan males technically did nothing but train all day long, if not 24 7. They have been considered the most brutal and well trained military troops in Greece. They had very strict selection rules for their male new borns. cruel but efficient.
As of how MUCH food one needs to become a great martial artist, ask any Kung Fu pro. They eat very little.
Were they "buffed"? Greece had cult of perfect human body.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:04 PM

552 posts, read 264,683 times
No Spartan would have ever let the Romans capture them and make them a gladiator, which is after all just another form of "house and yard" slave.

Last edited by max340; 12-28-2015 at 08:18 PM..

Old 12-28-2015, 08:17 PM

552 posts, read 264,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer79 View Post
Plutarch, if I remember correctly.
Plutarch and Xenophon disagree over whether Spartans practiced pederasty. I have to go with Xenophon and say no.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:26 PM

20,950 posts, read 17,117,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicks45 View Post
So awhile back a friend and I were watching Spartacus and he made the comment that in reality while they would indeed be buff they wouldn't be ripped like they are in the show. I asked him why and he said because back then they didn't have access to good nutrition or supplements like we have, would you agree?

Also, hypothetically if you had say 10 Spartans from the time go up against 10 Navy SEAL guys today in hand to hand combat do you think the Spartans could win?
Just take a look at Ancient Greek statues of men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History