U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 05:36 AM

53 posts, read 46,473 times

Advertisements

So awhile back a friend and I were watching Spartacus and he made the comment that in reality while they would indeed be buff they wouldn't be ripped like they are in the show. I asked him why and he said because back then they didn't have access to good nutrition or supplements like we have, would you agree?

Also, hypothetically if you had say 10 Spartans from the time go up against 10 Navy SEAL guys today in hand to hand combat do you think the Spartans could win?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 10:10 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,953,002 times
Apartacus is about the Spartans?

The Spartans wore armor. The only ancient people that were referred to as fighting naked were the Celts, and that probably only referred to a special unit.

As for Navy seals quesion, who knows? They definately were trained longer and more specifically in hand to hand combat, but they were smaller men due to evoultion.

Old 12-25-2015, 02:09 PM

47,896 posts, read 20,205,827 times
Spartacus was a Thracian, not a Spartan.

Old 12-25-2015, 02:14 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,308,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicks45 View Post
So awhile back a friend and I were watching Spartacus and he made the comment that in reality while they would indeed be buff they wouldn't be ripped like they are in the show. I asked him why and he said because back then they didn't have access to good nutrition or supplements like we have, would you agree?

Also, hypothetically if you had say 10 Spartans from the time go up against 10 Navy SEAL guys today in hand to hand combat do you think the Spartans could win?

Sombodies needs to go study some history. Spartacus-was NOT a Spartan.

Old 12-25-2015, 02:19 PM

9,120 posts, read 7,848,356 times
Quote:

Navy Seals are not hand to hand experts. I dont know how good Spartans are without weapons either though.

Old 12-25-2015, 02:53 PM

53 posts, read 46,473 times
Uhh...No one actually answered my question, and some obviously didn't understand what I was saying.

To clarify I was talking about Spartacus: Blood and Sand the TV show. I am assuming some here have seen it. I was talking about all the Spartan warriors in the show, most all of which are as buff/ripped as humanly possible, I was just curious if my friend was correct in that without access to good nutrition if real Spartans would be as buff/ripped as they are in the TV show.

Here's a trailer for it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJiBouML3FQ

Old 12-25-2015, 05:00 PM

47,896 posts, read 20,205,827 times
Quote:
Uhh...No one actually answered my question, and some obviously didn't understand what I was saying.

To clarify I was talking about Spartacus: Blood and Sand the TV show.
Wouldn't your failure to mention that you were making a specific reference to a tv program, account for those who "Obviously didn't understand?"

Old 12-25-2015, 10:19 PM

4,095 posts, read 2,953,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Navy Seals are not hand to hand experts. I dont know how good Spartans are without weapons either though.
Spartans were trained to kill unarmed. In order to gain full citizenship a warrior had to murder a helot with his bare hands without being caught in the act. If caught, he would be punished not for the murder, but for being caught.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:34 PM

5,686 posts, read 6,501,015 times
If you are looking at real gladiators, no, they weren't "ripped". They were sometimes called barley crunchers because they ate a high starch diet. It was believed that having a subcutaneous layer of fat would mean less blood loss from the games.
So your standard gladiator would be a little soft looking to modern eyes.

The actors on your show are chosen for their physical appeal, not for their fighting abilities.

I served in support of SEAL teams when I was in the Navy, and I would put my money on them against any warriors from any time or place. Those guys are the rreal deal, and I am proud I had the honor to even meet them.

They are every bit the guys you call on when you need real Warriors.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:47 PM

311 posts, read 290,670 times
The gladiators did nothing but fight and train to fight. They were slaves owned by others who most likely treated them somewhat like today's professional athletes. They were given all they needed to perform well. They were valuable assets and only a foolish owner would mistreat his investments that made him money.

That having been said, training for gladitorial combat would produce different musculature than the showboating body building actors whose goal is to look good for the camera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History