Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 10:48 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I remember driving around with a beer and when you passed your buddies you'd raise your beer. It was all legal too.

back in the day, it was perfectly legal to drink and drive...... you just couldn't be DRUNK....

back to the topic.....

I am an adult adoptee, conceived in the late summer of 1959 to an unmarried young couple..... my impending arrival hastened the breakup of this couple and the young man moved on to another young woman who he DID marry in May, 1962.... their first child was born in November that year.... due to preeclampsia (sp??) .....

so, apparently, even "good girls" were susceptible to the charms of handsome, musician type, smooth talkers.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 12:06 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,682 times
What is your definition of casual. I went away to a state school and I was talking to a girl at a keg party like 15 minutes. It was the week before finals. Anyhow since I was lazy I drove across campus and gave my roommate a lift.

She goes hey I got a review class in the morning I have to go to bed, takes two steps and then says hey you coming. I pause for a split second and say I better tell my roommate, she goes don't bother it won't take long.

We get back to her place. Straight to bedroom pretty much done in five minutes and I roll over and she goes you better go get your friend, and rolls over to sleep. On way out I asked her name to this day I remember it, Cynthia.

So last week of finals cutting through cafeteria I see her by herself and go over to say hi, she gives me this look like no clue who I am. We chat 30 seconds and she said see ya.

From a women's point of view that is how casual sex works. Honestly she was pretty cool, but you have to get the men to move on. Another time in the days of casual sex. I met a girl in lobby of hotel by check in and start rapping and as she is walking to room and she invites me in, and says well no better way to start a vacation off then with a bang, 1,2,3 then she quickly goes get dressed and go get a drink for you self. Little woozey till she says it should take my boyfriend maybe another 5 minutes to finish checking in so I recommend you move it.

Those were the days.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:43 PM

2,461 posts, read 2,477,919 times
Back then there were condom machines in most public restrooms, so there had to be something going on. I remember some of the larger gas stations having a half-dozen or more.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:14 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
Free love grinded to a halt in late 1970s. When Herpes/Aids started coming into picture and warnings about birth control pills and smoking etc started....
AIDS did not come to the attention of the medical profession until 1981, and because of its association with Kaposi's sarcoma was suspected to be a cancer at first. And, as the government had spent decades trying to educate the American public that you could not "catch" cancer, it was another year before it became clear that the disease was not a cancer and was contagious.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:00 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,934 times
I left an agricultural community in Canada to go to California in grade seven. By the time I hit grade nine and my LA fellow students were not even noticing "girls" ALL BUT ONE of the young ladies I knew in Canada were PREGNANT. Honest, it wasn't me and/or the reason I left town!!

Old 01-22-2016, 07:43 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
AIDS did not come to the attention of the medical profession until 1981, and because of its association with Kaposi's sarcoma was suspected to be a cancer at first. And, as the government had spent decades trying to educate the American public that you could not "catch" cancer, it was another year before it became clear that the disease was not a cancer and was contagious.
And years after that until AIDS was even considered anything other than a disease that affected the homosexual male community.

I came of age during this time. We weren't thinking about AIDS -- not at all. AIDS didn't happen to the "nice straight kids."

Old 01-22-2016, 07:44 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
"An old rule and a good one is ‘Avoid the appearance of evil.’ It is still very true that men value little those girls who have no strong sense of propriety themselves.”"

Emily Post - 1950's

Old 01-22-2016, 09:44 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proptop View Post
Were women in general really less "loose" back then compared to today? For example if a guy that today is a real smooth talker and real charming and finds it easy to get women to have sex would it be any more difficult for him if he went back to the 50s/60s?
They tell me that in the '50s, nice girls didn't do that. And on into the beg. of the '60s. Then with the hippie generation in the '60s came the "free love" society and the use of the birth control pill. Woopee!

Old 01-23-2016, 12:29 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,438,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
What is your definition of casual. I went away to a state school and I was talking to a girl at a keg party like 15 minutes. It was the week before finals. Anyhow since I was lazy I drove across campus and gave my roommate a lift.

She goes hey I got a review class in the morning I have to go to bed, takes two steps and then says hey you coming. I pause for a split second and say I better tell my roommate, she goes don't bother it won't take long.

We get back to her place. Straight to bedroom pretty much done in five minutes and I roll over and she goes you better go get your friend, and rolls over to sleep. On way out I asked her name to this day I remember it, Cynthia.

So last week of finals cutting through cafeteria I see her by herself and go over to say hi, she gives me this look like no clue who I am. We chat 30 seconds and she said see ya.

From a women's point of view that is how casual sex works. Honestly she was pretty cool, but you have to get the men to move on. Another time in the days of casual sex. I met a girl in lobby of hotel by check in and start rapping and as she is walking to room and she invites me in, and says well no better way to start a vacation off then with a bang, 1,2,3 then she quickly goes get dressed and go get a drink for you self. Little woozey till she says it should take my boyfriend maybe another 5 minutes to finish checking in so I recommend you move it.

Those were the days.
Your "good days" don't sound so great.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:45 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
As someone that went to high school in the 40s. I have a lot better feel for the question than most of you.

There were always a few girls, that it was fairly easy to have sex with, if they were pretty sure you would not tell anyone. The guys would keep their mouths shut, because they knew if they blabbed about those girls, they would not get sex again till they found someone to marry. 10 to 15% of the young women. Some would convince several guys over time they were the first to be with any guy.

Most of the guys stayed away from those easy girls. They were afraid the girl wanted to get pregnant, or was pregnant and would insist on marriage. That was how some of the very unattractive girls got husbands.

If a girl got pregnant, there would be a wedding. If the girl named you as the father, you were the father and you were the one they married. Very few girls were not married when they got knocked up as they say. You have heard of shot gun weddings, and those type of marriages happened.

Once they got engaged to their dream man, the majority of the girls started putting out, and having sex with the man they were promised to. Once in a while, they may break up, and the next man she got engaged to, started getting sex. Things stayed that way, through the 50s and into early 60s, when the pill became available. The Hippie movement became free love, and this is where casual sex started to become popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History