U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 11:52 AM

29,857 posts, read 12,793,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
Very stark pictures. Funny how Americans could find this ok or even fight the civil rights movement for it.
And that there are people on this forum who still today advocate separate but equal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 12:00 PM

7,841 posts, read 7,785,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Was looking for some photos to use in a class this week and found this link ...
20 Haunting Photos Of Segregation In America . Thought some of you might find it interesting.

The first photo breaks my heart.
Thank you for the link, Karen.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:26 PM

2,630 posts, read 2,502,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And that there are people on this forum who still today advocate separate but equal.
They are the same people who would have advocated for segregation or slavery in the past when they got away with it. I think it is also at the root of today's anti "federal government meddling with states rights" in the South that at its core advocates for the "right" to segregate etc. Too bad they can't get away with it any more...

Old 01-28-2016, 02:41 PM

12,434 posts, read 11,149,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
They are the same people who would have advocated for segregation or slavery in the past when they got away with it. I think it is also at the root of today's anti "federal government meddling with states rights" in the South that at its core advocates for the "right" to segregate etc. Too bad they can't get away with it any more...

Yes, it is why the South is so rabidly right wing and anti Fed Govt to this day and since the Civil War. Trust me, they hate the Fed Govt down there to this day due to the "meddling". And Trump and all the other Republicans feed into it.

I read a great essay about how the South has ruined the once honest, decent, moderately conservative Republican Party (think Eisenhower) and turned it into the crazy party it is today. Think Trump and his huge appeal in the South and you get the whole thing that has been going on in this country since 1860. It will never end.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:38 PM

3,815 posts, read 5,402,492 times
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundown_town

Click on each state for a list of possible "sundown towns" where blacks were forbidden after sundown
Sundown Towns in the United States

Old 01-28-2016, 06:58 PM

2,630 posts, read 2,502,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Yes, it is why the South is so rabidly right wing and anti Fed Govt to this day and since the Civil War. Trust me, they hate the Fed Govt down there to this day due to the "meddling". And Trump and all the other Republicans feed into it.

I read a great essay about how the South has ruined the once honest, decent, moderately conservative Republican Party (think Eisenhower) and turned it into the crazy party it is today. Think Trump and his huge appeal in the South and you get the whole thing that has been going on in this country since 1860. It will never end.
Let's not forget that the Democrats played the South the same way before as part of the New Deal Coalition.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:59 PM

19,921 posts, read 25,059,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Was looking for some photos to use in a class this week and found this link ...
20 Haunting Photos Of Segregation In America . Thought some of you might find it interesting.

The first photo breaks my heart.
Yes Karen. Thank you for posting these. I am reminded of a time in the early 60s (before 65) when my family was visiting Florida. I was 3 going on 4.

I had sun poisoning, and we were recommended to visit a local pediatrician. We were lead into a large, almost empty waiting room, with tropical fish, a TV and toys, Behind us was a crowded and dismal waiting room packed with children, who were there first. I could hear children crying softly and mothers singing to them.

My mother and I were called into the doctor's office, and I asked the doctor "what about all those other kids?" I remember - or I was told - that the doctor said "well they'll just have to wait their turn, now, won't they?"

When we left I said that I thought that he was a "very mean man". My mother agreed.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:03 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,541,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundown_town

Click on each state for a list of possible "sundown towns" where blacks were forbidden after sundown
Sundown Towns in the United States
I've seen that list before but I don't think it's accurate. I've actually seen links to it a couple of times and was surprised to see towns near where I grew up. When I poked around a little more, though, I found that a lot of the info is just from anonymous internet postings where someone said something like "I grew up in Swampscott and there were never any black people here", which is probably true, but it's not the same as a sundown town and it's certainly not an authoritative citation of anything.

Where I grew up, in Massachusetts, the discrimination was more along the lines of realtors not showing black families homes in certain towns/neighborhoods. There was nothing explicit, like a sign at the edge of town, but the busing problems in Boston (at the same time) certainly showed that the south wasn't the only place where you could find white people who didn't want to be around black people.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:44 AM

12,607 posts, read 11,867,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post

A huge change in politics in the deep South took place when LBJ signed the Civil Rights Act in 1964. After he signed the bill into law, he remarked that the Democratic Party could write off the entire South for at least a generation. Then he signed the Voting Rights Act the following year. Southern Democrats broke away and formed the "Dixiecrats." Remember George Wallace?

It always strikes me as strange that those same southern states that hate federal government "meddling" are happy to accept so much from the federal government in the form of government assistance, and then complain that the federal government has conditions and regulations for the use of the money sent to the states.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:46 AM

1,468 posts, read 908,512 times
I don't think things were as bad then as people like to make it out to be. The overwhelming majority of people were just going about their daily routine, not lynching or burning crosses on people's yards. The media likes to use shock effect to blow things out of proportion. Black people lived better in the fifties than they do today. Segregation still exists today and will always exist, humans naturally gravitate towards what is familiar. Mixing the races only leads to more racism and problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History