U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 11:49 AM

29,879 posts, read 12,806,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Think you are getting me wrong. I am talking about the concept of separate but equal. I can see nothing wrong with that.

Example. If a black person goes into a black restaurant and gets served the same brand of coffee as those in a white restaurant I don't see anything wrong with that.

For a while the black police in London were going to form their own police Union. I don't know if it ever happened but the point is they were wanting to be separate from the existing Union.
If you live in a free society, what is the justification for separation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 11:52 AM

29,879 posts, read 12,806,457 times
Quote:
Roman Catholic schools as far as I am aware are 'separate but equal 'and no fuss is raised about it. I don't know what effect this has on the minds of the young children in their schools but they seem to do well in the education stakes. Many of them are lawyers,politicians etc

When I was at school we got 'hand me down ' books which usually had backing of wallpaper on them to make them last longer.This was done by the people who had used them before or if they were showing signs of wear got a new covering from those receiving them. There was no library in the school I went to, but I believe there was in the Grammar Schools.
No, no, no, no, no.

We had a Catholic school in my home town. You didn't have to be Catholic to go to it. And taxes were not used to support the private school

Separate but equal applied to schools funded by public taxes.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:25 PM

1,820 posts, read 820,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, no, no, no, no.

We had a Catholic school in my home town. You didn't have to be Catholic to go to it. And taxes were not used to support the private school

Separate but equal applied to schools funded by public taxes.
Different then. Catholic schools and Irish language schools here are funded by the government. Yes you could go to it but I believe Catholic beliefs and teachings were paramount. That is why they exist and don't come under government control

My belief as already stated is that separate but equal ( if it was carried out as it should be) has nothing wrong with it.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Think you are getting me wrong. I am talking about the concept of separate but equal. I can see nothing wrong with that.

Example. If a black person goes into a black restaurant and gets served the same brand of coffee as those in a white restaurant I don't see anything wrong with that.

For a while the black police in London were going to form their own police Union. I don't know if it ever happened but the point is they were wanting to be separate from the existing Union.
As mentioned above I wasn't sure about the black police Union. I did a search and found this.

National Black Police Association | National Black police Association

Old 02-09-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's no excuse. Going back to Reconstruction is irrelevant. Even that later voting rules prevented some poor Whites from voting is no excuse/
So we don't go back to slavery either then? There was slavery though out the world before it arrived in America. In all cases it was wrong but to listen to some it would seem that slavery in America was the only place it happened.

Some slaves in America were well treated and in some cases better off than the wage slaves in the north. However, it was the fact of owning a person (as you would a table or a chair) which was wrong.

I believe there were some black people who owned slaves. Is this true?

Old 02-09-2016, 07:09 PM

9,389 posts, read 5,706,464 times
Quote:

I believe there were some black people who owned slaves. Is this true?
yes

Old 02-10-2016, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
yes
Thanks for your answer. I thought so but wasn't sure.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:16 AM

3,455 posts, read 6,595,028 times
The pics are haunting, indeed!

Moms grew up in rural, NE North Carolina. (Martin County, to be exact) Her and my uncle, she was a little girl, him a young adult, were offered 25 cents per pound to pick peanuts. They both 'picked more peanuts than the law allowed', and had an excessive amount of dirt on them. After giving him more than the finished product, the 'farmer' reduced the offer to 15 cents per pound. My uncle told him, in response, "take those peanuts and shove it up your........!" Telling a white man, "shove it....." back then normally meant two results: get hung or go to New York! Moms and uncle both headed up north!

A college schoolmate of mine had a grandmother who died when her mother was 12. Needed an emergency appendectomy. The white hospital was right there, but "No Colored Allowed". The black hospital was about 15-20 miles away. DOA!

My moms, to this day, wants to stay in Brooklyn, and not relocate 'Down South'. My schoolmate's mother, I believe, is in her 80s, still here.

These stories, and pics, are real, and people still have memories.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:35 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,541,917 times
Quote:

I think you should have stopped with "I'm an outsider so not au fait with American history." Educate yourself on the history of segregation in America and then get back to us.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:37 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,541,917 times
Quote:
Roman Catholic schools as far as I am aware are 'separate but equal 'and no fuss is raised about it.
You do realize that attendance at Roman Catholic schools is voluntary, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History