Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 07:08 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
I don't think things were as bad then as people like to make it out to be. The overwhelming majority of people were just going about their daily routine, not lynching or burning crosses on people's yards.
Yeah, well, you might want to ask some of your black friends how they feel about that. There's more to segregation than "lynching and burning crosses".

Quote:
Mixing the races only leads to more racism and problems.
Whoops, never mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 11:01 AM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
I don't think things were as bad then as people like to make it out to be. The overwhelming majority of people were just going about their daily routine, not lynching or burning crosses on people's yards. The media likes to use shock effect to blow things out of proportion. Black people lived better in the fifties than they do today. Segregation still exists today and will always exist, humans naturally gravitate towards what is familiar. Mixing the races only leads to more racism and problems.
When I first started teaching back in the late 1970s, I worked in a school system in the Maryland suburbs of D.C. I'm White, my principal was Black. She and I were on very good terms, so one day the topic of race came up due to our school still being under court-ordered busing. I asked her about the separate but equal aspect of education in that school system when segregation was still in effect. She said it was a lie, that separate was not equal. And then she gave specific examples. White schools had libraries; Black schools did not have libraries. White schools had lunch programs; Black schools had no lunch programs. White schools got the new textbooks; Black schools got the outdated and worn out textbooks once the White schools threw them out.

But no need to point things like that out, because you yourself prove the point.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:02 AM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Yeah, well, you might want to ask some of your black friends how they feel about that. There's more to segregation than "lynching and burning crosses".

Great point, but in the part I colorized...was that intentional humor?

Old 01-29-2016, 11:13 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Great point, but in the part I colorized...was that intentional humor?
Who, me?

Old 01-29-2016, 11:47 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,998 times
Quote:
Black people lived better in the fifties than they do today.
Really? Please elaborate.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:07 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
No slide shows for me.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:28 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
I don't think things were as bad then as people like to make it out to be. The overwhelming majority of people were just going about their daily routine, not lynching or burning crosses on people's yards. The media likes to use shock effect to blow things out of proportion. Black people lived better in the fifties than they do today. Segregation still exists today and will always exist, humans naturally gravitate towards what is familiar.
Did you look at the photos in the link in the OP? Somehow I doubt it.

What you don't seem to understand is that the "daily routine" of people depended on their skin color -- it was privileged or not BASED on their skin color. This is what "institutionalized racism" is.

Quote:
Mixing the races only leads to more racism and problems.
I guess my mom and stepfather never should have married. Maybe we should institute anti-miscegenation laws again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
No slide shows for me.
You posted in this thread only to tell us you don't want to look at the slide show? Um, OK ...

Old 01-29-2016, 04:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Black people lived better in the fifties than they do today.
You mean back when there were laws that kept MILLIONS of black Americans from voting?

Tell us more.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:27 PM

862 posts, read 1,196,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
There was segregation throughout the US, it was just in the South where it was codified in the legal code. The rest of the country didn't have signs saying "Whites only", but black people knew where they weren't welcome (or found out quickly enough).
A good example of this is the many of amusement parks that existed back in the 40s & 50s who either didn't allow blacks or if they did they could not ride certain rides, play certain games or eat at certain food stands and these parks were located in cities where a lot people today didn't know segregation had even existed. Cincinnatti's Coney Island ( which later relocated to become today's Kings Island ) some years back I had a book on this history of this place unfortunately they were segregated until the early 60s. Black people could only visit if I can remember what was mentioned in the book only one maybe two days a month, Here in Denver I have heard from old timers over the years that even Elitch Gardens had a similar policy back in the 40s & 50s. There was a time in Washington DC area there were two amusement parks..one for blacks ( Suburban Gardens ) and one for whites ( Glen Echo ).

I believe even Las Vegas back in the day was segregated.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:42 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,269,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Yes, it is why the South is so rabidly right wing and anti Fed Govt to this day and since the Civil War. Trust me, they hate the Fed Govt down there to this day due to the "meddling". And Trump and all the other Republicans feed into it.

I read a great essay about how the South has ruined the once honest, decent, moderately conservative Republican Party (think Eisenhower) and turned it into the crazy party it is today. Think Trump and his huge appeal in the South and you get the whole thing that has been going on in this country since 1860. It will never end.

so racism by a few started since 1860 and just in the South?

clueless!! Our country was founded of a mistrust of a big federal central government. That's why we had a war against King George and that's why in the constitution our founding fathers limited the powers of the federal government and didn't trust a big federal government controlled by a few elites.

The problems of the government today has NOTHING to do with Trump. We don't have a 20 trillion dollar debt, a dysfunctional and inept federal government and endless wars because of limited government.....the opposite.

Many people distrust the federal government for legit reasons.....look how the federal government treated the Natives Americans and the land they stole from them, that wasn't the South, that was the FEDERAL government run by Northern politicians overreaching their powers under the constitution. Hoover and the FBI spying on Americans and violating their constitutional rights for decades, that came from the Federal government. The treatment of Japanese-Americans and putting them in camps like prisoners without due process and violating their constitutional rights did not come from the South, it came from the federal government by orders of a liberal democrat President.....the list is long!

The Democrat party has a loooong dark history for you to blame all of our problems just on the Republican party or just the South. Racism existed since our colonies days from North to South, East coast to the West Coast.

The federal government "meddling" has a mix record which mostly is negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History