Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 03:48 PM

2,459 posts, read 2,476,905 times

Advertisements

By many accounts, Donald Trump is brash, vulgar, and uncouth. Has there ever been a President with these attributes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 04:40 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
By many accounts, Donald Trump is brash, vulgar, and uncouth. Has there ever been a President with these attributes?

LBJ, Nixon, Truman, Taylor to name 4. JFK would be a close runner-up.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:46 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
I do not believe Trump is President.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:39 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
LBJ, Nixon, Truman, Taylor to name 4. JFK would be a close runner-up.
I think that a distinction can be drawn between public and private behavior.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:01 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Yes.

In the case of Nixon, that's why the Watergate tapes were shocking for their tone - it was completely at odds with Nixon in public. Apparently, his own family was astonished at how he spoke on them. He could be angry, but the vulgarity and overt racism and antisemitism was never shown publicly.

And anyone who has ever heard or read LBJ ordering pants knows that for as rough as he could be in public, he was downright coarse in private.
American RadioWorks - The President Calling

As an aside, the thought of any recent President doing something so mundane as ordering pants is impossible to even imagine, at least to me.

Also, it's worth remembering that we know so much about modern Presidents, and we have such an intimate look at them, that this skews our perception towards them. The further back we go in history, the less information there is and it becomes difficult to peer much at all into how they might have behaved in private conversations.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:02 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
hahahaha where do we start....

Old 02-19-2016, 10:44 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Yes, that's what I was thinking, as well.

I don't care that LBJ could be very vulgar. He acted satisfactorily as President.
I don't care that Nelson Rockefeller was having an affair when he died. He acted satisfactorily as Governor and mostly as Vice President.

But I remember when I was a principal and would be doing interviews for teacher openings. If a candidate came in as a slob, either in dress or manor, all I could think was -- if this is how he comes to an interview to impress, then what the heck will he be like when he actually has the security of the job. No thanks.

Same for Trump. Even without his policies, no thanks.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:41 PM

2,459 posts, read 2,476,905 times
I remember reading about a President who was notorious for using curse words while in office. I want to say Truman, but I'm not sure.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:08 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,594,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes, that's what I was thinking, as well.

I don't care that LBJ could be very vulgar. He acted satisfactorily as President.
I don't care that Nelson Rockefeller was having an affair when he died. He acted satisfactorily as Governor and mostly as Vice President.

But I remember when I was a principal and would be doing interviews for teacher openings. If a candidate came in as a slob, either in dress or manor, all I could think was -- if this is how he comes to an interview to impress, then what the heck will he be like when he actually has the security of the job. No thanks.

Same for Trump. Even without his policies, no thanks.

I'm probably going way out on a limb with this, but if you were a principal, interviewing prospective teachers, it may have been better not to spell manner as manor.
Unless, and I don't think it is, surely not, that we in the U.K. spell it manner, and over there you spell it manor.
Over here a manor is a very large house, also, in London, it can be slang for the area that you live in.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:13 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times
Quote:
I remember reading about a President who was notorious for using curse words while in office. I want to say Truman, but I'm not sure.
Truman was certainly know from employing a well place curse word into his private and public speech.

"I didn't fire him because he was a dumb son of a *****, although he was, but that's not against the law for generals. If it was, half to three-quarters of them would be in jail."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History