Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 11:25 PM

56 posts, read 68,813 times

Advertisements

Back in the day do you think a peasant could find any kind of joy or fun? Or do you think from the moment they were born till they died it was always horrible and barely a life worth living?

And in particular for peasant women do you think any of them were ever fortunate enough to marry a man that wasn't abusive and genuinely loved each other or do you think it was all bad for them as well? Do you think peasant women would really talk to each other much and gossip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 01:02 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariez149 View Post
Back in the day do you think a peasant could find any kind of joy or fun? Or do you think from the moment they were born till they died it was always horrible and barely a life worth living?

And in particular for peasant women do you think any of them were ever fortunate enough to marry a man that wasn't abusive and genuinely loved each other or do you think it was all bad for them as well? Do you think peasant women would really talk to each other much and gossip?
OF course they would have nice times and why there were so many fairs back then.. They celebrated everything it seems..The church enforced having mandatory holidays to stop them from rebelling... but yes life was hard with famine wars etc..Now we dont get enough holidays from word or time with famiiles, this causes illnesses like depression, stress etc... Abusive husbands didnt stop in the 14th century either or start because of poverty or lifestyle...People also adapt to their circumstances and make the most of what they have in all ways.. Life was much slower in every way...

Old 02-19-2016, 10:43 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,391,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariez149 View Post
The living conditions of peasants could vary. Factors included whether or not they were Yeoman farmers (small scale land owners) or share croppers. Even sharecroppers had different levels including those who owned their own home and tools, but rented nearby fields and those who rented home, field and tools from a land owner. Then factor in good years vs bad years and good vs bad land owners and things could get complex.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:17 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,970 times
Why on earth would all men back then be domineering abusers? Why wouldn't the women talk to each other?

Of course people had fun and experienced joy, played games, had celebrations. Folk dancing? Folk music?

Old 02-19-2016, 09:08 PM

21,124 posts, read 19,707,707 times
How would they know they shouldn't be joyful? 'Cause TV wasn't invented yet?

Old 02-20-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
How would they know they shouldn't be joyful? 'Cause TV wasn't invented yet?
In our house we didnt have a telly until I was eleven.. and when I tell my grandkids their horrified hahaha and ask what I did.....hahaha, I said.. well I listened to the wireless.. ....another strange look on their faces.... erm I mean radio... read comics, did drawings, listened to records...... I think they see me from another world now.

Last edited by mensaguy; 02-25-2016 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: Fixed quote tag

Old 02-21-2016, 11:26 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
poor people only know they was poor when other people told them.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:16 PM

21,124 posts, read 19,707,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
poor people only know they was poor when other people told them.
Exactly. We compare them to us, but who do they compare themselves to if they don't know how we live?

Old 02-22-2016, 12:50 AM

830 posts, read 1,666,371 times
Music and dancing
Arts and crafts
Gossip
Drinking
Storytelling
Gambling and other games
Visiting friends and relatives far away (if they were free to travel)
Taking part in holiday or seasonal traditions (fairs, food, decorating, dressing up, etc.)

Old 02-22-2016, 02:31 AM

No education for children, no running water or toilet..hahaha sounds like Glasgow in the 70s ....no baths.... People died very young, probably with pouring waste into the same river they drank from...If they were told to work for the church, it was done free , that was the law, even if they had work on their own land to do..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History