Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 07:49 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,367,819 times

Advertisements

Going back to the first viking raids; who were these particular vikings? they couldn't have been rather peaceful farmers like some sources suggest. They had to have had previous experiences with violence and killing---so who were they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 08:06 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,998,652 times
If you read some history on the topic, you will find that the Vikings spent most of their time making a living on the homestead. Farming. Hunting. Gathering.

Violence? Yup. You are right. There was violence every day. They killed critters to eat. Critters sometimes killed them, or killed their animals. It was a wolf eat dog world.

Sometimes they went out trading, and sometimes they went out pirating, enslaving, all that. And sometimes they went out because they needed land to farm, and there wasn't any at home. Mom and Dad and all the family already had the homeplace, for sure, and there wasn't any room for junior to raise a family.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:16 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times
"the first" is a somewhat ambiguous question.
i can assure you there are no specific records of "the first".
it would be unlikely they were connected to a leader of repute.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:49 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,478 times
Firstly, the Vikings did not have horned helmets, and the Pagan world they represented was coming to an end ( It ended in Britain), they deliberately targeted the religious houses of England and soft coastal towns, but when they faced the first organised British/Saxon army they lost, Alfred slaughtered them at Edington. The Vikings knew that they met their match in England/Ireland and their leaders renounced Paganism, as had the Saxons and the Celts prior to that. Pre 1066 Danish/Norse became farmers in the East and North East of England and South-Scotland, though they didn't inter-marry with the Britons.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:15 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Yeahhhh.... So I am a "peaceful farmer" then all at a sudden I get berserker mindset, build a kogg and go on bloody rampage across the world, killing and plundering anything I meet in my ways?
You actually saw a "peaceful farmer" in real life? those are about the most gullible folks you'll ever meet.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:11 PM

16,081 posts, read 10,744,030 times
The Vikings went east, too. There are some interesting contemporary Arab and Persian narratives of encounters with the Rus while on trading missions. The Rus were essentially "landlubber" or river Norsemen (by most accounts) who established Kievan Rus and exerted control over an area from near the Black Sea northward to Lapland. There is a debate about where they came from and who they actually were. Their domination lasted until the Mongol invasion. They seemed to be an unruly bunch and took stuff from their neighbors, including slaves and livestock -- sometimes by trade. Artifacts of the Kievan Rus (tools, weapons, crosses and decorations) resemble Viking artifacts. Western Europeans at the time considered them to be cousins to the Danes and Swedes.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:06 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,367,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Yeahhhh.... So I am a "peaceful farmer" then all at a sudden I get berserker mindset, build a kogg and go on bloody rampage across the world, killing and plundering anything I meet in my ways?
You actually saw a "peaceful farmer" in real life? those are about the most gullible folks you'll ever meet.
That's what I'm saying...it doesn't quite fit.

How violent was the society they came from?

Old 03-10-2016, 01:06 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,998,652 times
All societies, everywhere, were violent back then. At least, by our standards today. When at home, the "Vikings" were generally peaceful. But life was demanding. They were no more violent than their neighbors. Everybody back then had to fight - or to have somebody to fight for them. Just the way of life.

This quote:
Quote:
So I am a "peaceful farmer" then all at a sudden I get berserker mindset, build a kogg and go on bloody rampage across the world, killing and plundering anything I meet in my ways?
shows a complete misunderstanding and lack of knowledge about the times and the people. Berserkers were a battle technique - not something that happened any extended time.

At home, they were peaceful. When profit promised, in plunder, land, or fame, sometimes they went out to get it. To them, there was no dichotomy. When you fought, you fought hard, so you would win. You didn't normally go around fighting, because fighting is risky. So mostly, you don't fight.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:49 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
If you read some history on the topic, you will find that the Vikings spent most of their time making a living on the homestead. Farming. Hunting. Gathering.

Violence? Yup. You are right. There was violence every day. They killed critters to eat. Critters sometimes killed them, or killed their animals. It was a wolf eat dog world.

Sometimes they went out trading, and sometimes they went out pirating, enslaving, all that. And sometimes they went out because they needed land to farm, and there wasn't any at home. Mom and Dad and all the family already had the homeplace, for sure, and there wasn't any room for junior to raise a family.
They really hit the jackpot in Russia, if they were looking for farmland. But they were mainly seeking trade routes as far as the rivers would take them, which ended up being Constantinople. And they just happened to found the first Russian state (or Ukrainian, depending on which historians you listen to) in the process.

Old 03-12-2016, 04:51 AM

426 posts, read 394,189 times
Weather refugees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History