Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 08:48 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
What is the correct side and how would you then define Canada's role in Korea, Afhiganistan, the first gulf war, Somalia, and on and on....?
I can mainly attest to the one in Southeast Asia to which I was a witness. And it was a travesty against humankind. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai_Massacre
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 08:58 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Canada's military relationship with UK has been complicated. Read Armageddon, Max Hastings - Canadian PM King (I think it was) in the 1940s had enormous political pressure from the French Canadian population - they didn't want to contribute to a repeat of the bloodletting of WWI. Nor were they enthusiastic about fighting what they considered to be UK's/British Empire's war. & so Canadian troops had to volunteer to get to UK, & I believe their service during WWII was limited to the ETO. Also, once D-Day took place in June 1944, the losses piled up very fast, & Canada had real problems replacing riflemen (most of the casualties) with similar skills & training (so did the UK, for that matter, & the US).
Canada fought in the Pacific.

Canada and the War in the Far East - Canadians in South East Asia - The Second World War - History - Remembrance - Veterans Affairs Canada

Old 04-18-2016, 10:34 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdR7yieQdoo

Old 04-18-2016, 10:38 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVor2Xm8qg0

Old 04-18-2016, 10:51 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,391,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Wasent this done to placate Quebeckers, many of whom openly sympathized with the Axis?
The sources that I have read say iot was due to isolationism, not pro axis sentiments. A large number of Quebecois had been in Canada for centuries, and no longer had any ties to Europe, not even with France. As a result, were very isolationist. The isolationist Quebecois were mirrored by isolationist Anglophones, whose families had also been in Canada for centuries and had no ties to Great Britain. But.. the Anglophone segment of Canada also contained substantial numbers of first or second generation immigrants from Great Britain. These people still had ties to the mother country and favored a large Canadian intervention.

So.... the Canadian government developed a compromise for WWI and WWII. Canada would intervene, but to keep the isolationists from both language groups happy, they were promised that combat positions would be filled by all volunteers. This promise was kept, but in WWII at least, as the number of genuine volunteers dried up, the definition of "combat position" was changed. In the end, only front line, battalion level of lower infantry and armor positions and aviation positions were considered "combat" for purposes of the no conscripts policy. Conscripts were then placed in artillery units, engineers, and all kinds of support units at Brigade and higher.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:22 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,055 times
Because the US could have won the war by numerous methods, but the politicians tied the hands of their own field commanders.

Canada did not want to get wrapped up in a mismanaged war.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:22 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
Because Canada unlike the United States doesn't rush to war. They are the smart ones....

Old 04-19-2016, 03:22 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Prime Minister Lester Pearson won the Nobel Peace prise for ending the conflict of the Suez Channel crisis in the 1950s and later tried to keep Canada out of the Vietnam conflict and then Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau was never a fan for the America also keep Canada out of this conflict , but Canada did send peace keepers into Vietnam , and did sell arms to America for the war

Old 04-19-2016, 05:47 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
I can mainly attest to the one in Southeast Asia to which I was a witness. And it was a travesty against humankind. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai_Massacre
It's already been established there were Canadians in Vietnam.

My Lai is a different thread and a recent discussion. And your music links below your thread?...I love the Rolling Stones too, but why?

Old 04-19-2016, 05:57 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
The Vietnam war was one of the darkest periods in our history IMO. Canada was smart to stay the Hell out of this mess.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History