U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 11:25 PM

630 posts, read 1,744,377 times

Advertisements

Submit your personal favorite,the person you think could be someone none of us heard of,yet did something that showed he/she had the right stuff!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 11:30 PM

630 posts, read 1,744,377 times
I'll start,Jimmy Stewart ranks high with me,already a Hollywood icon he nontheless went overseas in WW2 and lead a B-24 group over Germany for some 25 missions,staying in the reserves he later served in Vietnam,a humble son of Indiana,Pennsylvania he truly understood freedom isn't free.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:01 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,866,115 times
All the people from the abolitionist movement in the 19th century, also people like Rosa Parks and Martin Luther king in the 60s, human rights activists, all the average American people who did and do their best every day in difficult circumstances.

Native Americans who fought for their land and their rights bravely and to the end , led by people like Geronimo, Sitting -Bull and Chief Seattle.

The first pioneers who came to America with no idea about what they would find and had to struggle so hard to make a go of things and build up your beautiful country. Generations of hard working, sacrificing people who made it possible for their descendants to live in what became the USA.

Fire-fighters, emergency personnel, nurses, people who volunteer to look after the homeless , carers who look after sick relatives and loved ones, foster parents, people who never give up when life is hard and overwhelming for them. People who everyday have to make impossible decisions, people who despite illness and horrible circumstances fight on and make their lives and other people's worthwhile.

People who sacrifice for others are the true heroes and the people we should admire, emulate and look up to.

In terms of people I look up to that would pretty much sum it up. Though in the famous people I admire I would have to put John Steinbeck , Mark Twain .

Old 02-13-2008, 07:26 AM

13,395 posts, read 42,165,858 times
I've always admired Muhammad Ali.
Ali was never a perfect person, he had his flaws and failings. He cheated on his wives, was a boastful trash-talking loudmouth, and deliberately provoked controversy.
"Ali also famously said in 1966: "I ain't got no quarrel with them Viet Cong ... They never called me n*****."
Ali had talent, courage,and vision.
I grew up watching his career and his many troubles and challenges. He came of age in a time of great unrest for America.
He would not go to war, he was barred from his career, he was embroiled in our country's racial issues.
In the end, he prevailed and ultimately has become a shining example to a lot of young people.
Ali's humanitarian efforts during retirement have been many, he travels more than half the year for charitable functions. I am sure this wears on him, especially considering his illness, but I am just as certain that he enjoys the human contact and the pleasure of doing good works.
In a biography I read, one anecdote intrigued me: an un-named but famous celebrity, at the last minute, dropped out of a planned charity event. A friend of a friend of a friend knew Ali, and a call was made. Ali came out on the next plane.
To me, Ali's life has been a truly inspirational American story.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:37 AM

13,138 posts, read 37,953,403 times
Jack LaLanne as he is an insperation as i journey in my own quest in this world for health, fitness and longevity. At 93 he still can do 500 pushups and works out at up to 2 hours daily for 6 days a week.

All the Bad Ass WWII Vets as they fought to stop Hitler and Tojo in their quest to conquer large parts of the world in the 1930's and 40's.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:39 AM

10,194 posts, read 25,577,064 times
One of several American heroes for me is Mychael Judge.

Father Judge was the priest assigned to the fire department in Manhattan, a terrific human being who lost his life at the World Trade Center on September 11. Coincident for me, Father Judge was also the local parish priest in the community I worked for 10 years. His positive influence on a daily basis was enormous, and his loss greatly felt.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:56 AM

1,854 posts, read 9,088,558 times
My greatest hero wasn't born here, but was still the greatest visionary that ever existed. Modern society owes its entire existence to Nikola Tesla.

He was the father of alternating current, the true inventor of the radio, and showed the world what a thieving putz Thomas Edison really was. Scientist are still studying his journals and inventing from them today. Do a Google search there are volumes on Tesla.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:57 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,866,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
One of several American heroes for me is Mychael Judge.

Father Judge was the priest assigned to the fire department in Manhattan, a terrific human being who lost his life at the World Trade Center on September 11. Coincident for me, Father Judge was also the local parish priest in the community I worked for 10 years. His positive influence on a daily basis was enormous, and his loss greatly felt.
He sounds like a wonderful man. I think the problems with "heroes" is a lot of people think that means someone famous and "visible" when they mostly all walk, quietly and noiselessly amongst us. Unrewarded, often un-noticed and shamefully sometimes even ignored. Father Judge by the sound of it sounds like a good candidate for the title.

As the quote goes :
"A hero is a man who does what he can.” Most of us can do a lot but do little.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:14 AM

10,194 posts, read 25,577,064 times
I believe you are correct, Mooseketeer, heroes can be invisible. And for me, Father Judge came to represent not only himself, but all the fallen on that day. We lost 13 fire-fighters in my community at the WTC that day, each a hero, all missed, all grieved, all in my song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
He sounds like a wonderful man. I think the problems with "heroes" is a lot of people think that means someone famous and "visible" when they mostly all walk, quietly and noiselessly amongst us. Unrewarded, often un-noticed and shamefully sometimes even ignored. Father Judge by the sound of it sounds like a good candidate for the title.

As the quote goes :
"A hero is a man who does what he can.” Most of us can do a lot but do little.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:48 AM

11,947 posts, read 19,399,000 times
It's a common reply but George Washington.The man's actions were paramount in winning liberty from Britian and saving the revolution from imploding afterward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History