Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 06:06 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_transplant_in_Houston View Post
If you changed any event in history, you would not be here today. We are all here because of chance, any slight change in the past would have a ripple effect to today.
If the change causes you to not exist, you can't go back into the past to make the change. Therefore you exist after all. Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 06:57 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Hah! So true (in a relative sortof way)!

& this could be the start of a whole new conspiracy theory of History. Time travelers are among us & always have been. Messing with Time & History since the beginning of Time (possible pun intended?).
Ever since the negative time machine was invented, time travelers have actually been messing with history, not since the beginning of time, but since before the beginning of time.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:54 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I would prohibit slavery in the British colonies (i.e. the present-day United States) before it ever got started. Worst mistake this country ever made, and we're still suffering from the repercussions even today.
I'm surprised it took 32 posts to name slavery. Shocked, actually.

I would go back further to it's origins, though.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:58 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
It's not Judaism's fault some heretics went out into left field and decided someone rose from the grave. In fact, Judaism of the time did not cotton to the new splinter group.

It's not bigotry to look at the historical record and make observations, especially about a belief system that is based in terror. Unless you're arguing that Christianity has ever not presented the doctrine that anyone who doesn't adopt it is going to suffer for eternity? No? Sensible, because it has always presented this terrorist doctrine in its very scriptures.

Your disdain of Christianity has caused you to commit a logical fallacy. While it is true that our doctrine teaches that those who do not adopt our faith will suffer for eternity, it is equally true that our doctrine teaches that we ourselves do not have the power to effect this eternal suffering. Thus, the worst we can do (assuming that our desire is to inflict misery on others, which is NOT one of our doctrines) is to cause them to worry about whether or not they will be consigned to Hell; we do not possess the power to actually send them there.

Worry does not equal terrorism.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:07 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
If I had the power to travel in time, I would bring the founding fathers here in time, and give them a thorough lesson in history to show them what men have done to this country, so they can more effectively write the constitution to more thoroughly avoid the criminals getting in congress, amongst other things.
So historically innacurate.

They were learned men, knew of the failures and nature of humans, and studied all other philosophies and forms of government. You speak as if no history existed before they created our system of government. You speak as if there were no debate, no differences of opinion, no thousands of documents supporting each argument and decisions therein.

Franklin even told someone "It's a Republic if you can keep it." when leaving the close of the Constitutional Convention.

And as history has shown since the beginning of time, the problems we have in OUR government result from apathy, laziness, greed and ignorance. OF THE PEOPLE.

Just as the brilliant founders knew, and did their best to provide the maximum freedoms ever known in the history of organized government.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:50 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Your disdain of Christianity has caused you to commit a logical fallacy. While it is true that our doctrine teaches that those who do not adopt our faith will suffer for eternity, it is equally true that our doctrine teaches that we ourselves do not have the power to effect this eternal suffering. Thus, the worst we can do (assuming that our desire is to inflict misery on others, which is NOT one of our doctrines) is to cause them to worry about whether or not they will be consigned to Hell; we do not possess the power to actually send them there.

Worry does not equal terrorism.
Ah, but I do not assert that those who profess the belief are themselves guilty in principle of terrorism. Some are, most aren't. Rather, I assert that my upbringing in the faith spoke the truth: that a core belief is that the deity involved threatens all humanity with eternal suffering unless they adopt this religion. That's a belief system rooted in terror. Now it's true that those who profess the belief are expressing support for a philosophy based in terror, but I think very few attempt to harness that terror in person, however noisy those few may be.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:44 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,935 times
if you went back and could change the evolution of mankind, we might possibly be a Planet of the Apes.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:10 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I'm surprised it took 32 posts to name slavery. Shocked, actually.

I would go back further to it's origins, though.

It's impossible. The origins began at a point in time when civilization stopped being hunter-gatherers and started to come together and create societies, which in turn begat social stratification. As soon as these fledgling societies began to expand into other people's societies, it created friction -- and the losers were killed or taken into slavery. Man, too, is a territorial animal.

And it's impossible to erase religion, too -- since the beginning of time, mankind has use some kind of belief system ("what do you believe?") a.k.a. religion to try to explain what he does not understand, and to give meaning and shape to a world that is unknowable. Appeasing "gods" who control the weather or crops, invoking strength from war gods, etc -- these are all rituals that appeal to the unknowable. I'm sure someone probably would object to the human sacrifices that were often made by those that worshiped nature, way back when.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:01 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
if you went back and could change the evolution of mankind, we might possibly be a Planet of the Apes.
Earth is a planet of apes.

A large, extant bipedal species of ape is the most successful megafauna in the history of this planet, having spread to almost every nook and cranny of it, and existing in numbers and biomass than no species of any significant size has every approached (though some small species, like some ants and small fish, probably have).

An 'ape' is any member of the superfamily Hominoidea - specifically, orangutans, gorillas, chimpanzees and humans.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:36 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Earth is a planet of apes.
You are correct, of course.

And if you give me a banana, I will explain how it's leaning increasingly to the gorillas and ourangoutangs side of the simian spectrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History