Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2016, 05:21 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,574,798 times

Advertisements

I saw this on TV months, or maybe a year or more ago.
War Plan Red was drawn up in the late 20s through 1934/5 by the U.S. Navy, it was effectively a plan for war on Great Britain and specifically Canada, if it was felt that Britain was somehow strangling or affecting U.S. trade throughout the world.
Fortunately it was shelved around 1939 because of the onset of WW2, but I don't think that it was abandoned, or dismantled, until the mid seventies.
This would have done wonders for the "special" alliance, don't you think?
Google it and see what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 05:26 PM

44,888 posts, read 59,882,454 times
I think that all countries up until WW II had war plans against all possible/potential enemies, including those which were putative allies.

The Japanese Admiralty was invited to watch a simulated attack on Pearl Harbor sometime in the late 1930s. The aim was to give them a warning. They adapted what they saw and learned to their attack a few years later.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:32 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,284,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
War Plan Red was drawn up in the late 20s through 1934/5 by the U.S. Navy, it was effectively a plan for war on Great Britain and specifically Canada, if it was felt that Britain was somehow strangling or affecting U.S. trade throughout the world.
Fortunately it was shelved around 1939 because of the onset of WW2, but I don't think that it was abandoned, or dismantled, until the mid seventies.
Google it and see what you think.
"It is better to have a plan and not need it than to need a plan and not have it."

The US-Canadian border presents some interesting challenges for war planning. You start in the East with a long water border, in places very wide. Then into a plain that resembles the Empty Zone of of Saudi Arabia for it's lack of defensive features. Then you get into vertical ground that terminates on a coast.

Great fun for war college students.

And, of course, there was never one second when it was seriously in danger of being implemented.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:59 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,732,220 times
Quote:
Great Powers prepare for all eventualities. All eventualities.

I remember a press conference after Iraq invaded Kuwait in 1990. Someone asked a Pentagon spokesman if the United States had contingency plans for an Iraqi invasion of Saudi Arabia, which was widely feared if not exactly expected at that time. He smiled a little, and then stated that even though he knew nothing of such plans, he fully expected - for example - that France had contingency plans for occupying the United States. His point, he continued, was that countries and militaries plan for all everything, no matter how unlikely.

Personally, I like the color-coding of the sub-plans: crimson for war with Canada, scarlet for war with Australia, and so forth. Only for Ireland was the 'red' theme toss aside - of course, conflict with the UK on the Emerald Isle was gamed-out in War Plan Emerald.

Then of course there was Defence Scheme No. 1.

Canadian Defence Scheme Number One

Quote:
Well, the U.S.-UK relationship really didn't become 'special' until the bonding experience of World War II. Even after the First World War it was generally amicable but not exactly warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History