Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2016, 04:05 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,454,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
From where I'm sitting they just didn't slaughter enough southerners.
I agree. If it was done right, the South would not still be fighting the war with their flag and talking about they will rise again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 04:13 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
The blue dress?

Old 05-21-2016, 04:35 PM

911 posts, read 2,599,499 times
whenever someone says "slavery wasnt that bad" or "it wasnt me that enslaved people" or "omg get over it" it just kinds of adds fuel to the fire that we have to remember this part of AMERICAN history otherwise it'll repeat itself.

all the while those same people are saying slaves dont deserve reparations and out of the other side of their mouth, they are the sympathetic ear to anything else that happens around the world.

after slavery, you had the 3/5ths of a man, and countless other things, hangings, the emmett till case, and countless other things where whites were not held responsible for their actions. those same people were subject to segregation which was just terrible because ELECTED LEADERS preached separate but equal while they sicked dogs on you.

in all modern forms of slavery, mass extermination etc etc, who's the only race of people that didnt get anything but grief after?

here's a hint......the victims of the holocaust got reparations and their property back, and nazis were executed and put on trial

native americans now do not have to pay taxes and have their own private pieces of land across the united states.

who am i missing?

Old 05-21-2016, 04:40 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
whenever someone says "slavery wasnt that bad" or "it wasnt me that enslaved people" or "omg get over it" it just kinds of adds fuel to the fire that we have to remember this part of AMERICAN history otherwise it'll repeat itself.

all the while those same people are saying slaves dont deserve reparations and out of the other side of their mouth, they are the sympathetic ear to anything else that happens around the world.

after slavery, you had the 3/5ths of a man, and countless other things, hangings, the emmett till case, and countless other things where whites were not held responsible for their actions. those same people were subject to segregation which was just terrible because ELECTED LEADERS preached separate but equal while they sicked dogs on you.

in all modern forms of slavery, mass extermination etc etc, who's the only race of people that didnt get anything but grief after?

here's a hint......the victims of the holocaust got reparations and their property back, and nazis were executed and put on trial

native americans now do not have to pay taxes and have their own private pieces of land across the united states.

who am i missing?
You are missing the American taxpayer. Trillions of dollars have been confiscated from the American taxpayer and pumped into inner cities and rural hellholes where the money has basically been wasted. Where generation after generation repeats the same mistakes of procreation and vampiring off those who work and behave responsibly and rationally.

So the American taxpayer is due reparations for having his wealth expropriated against his will and against his better judgment and handed over to others who claim to need it more than he does.

Where can the American taxpayer apply for a refund on the reparations he has already paid a thousand times over?

Old 05-21-2016, 04:47 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,013,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
You've bought into the text book ideology of Native Americans, which I might add is completely wrong.

Most of the Native Peoples living on the east coast of America died of a plague before the white settlers ever hit the shores of North America, we can thank the Spaniards for this, 90% of the Native Americans on the east coast died of smallpox brought over by the Europeans. It was estimated that about 20 million Native Americans died from the epidemic on the east coast and about 50 million died from it throughout North America.
Were these people "primitive", not at all, they knew how to live off the land and how to exist in the harsh climate of New England, that's more than we can say for the Europeans who arrive here. Most Native American believed in personal hygiene, which is more than one can say about the first Europeans that arrived here, from all accounts it is said that one could smell the white man long before you could see him. They described them as smelling like feces (to put it politely).

Are we more developed? Maybe in the area of technology, but on how to treat the land you live on I think we are way behind the 8 ball when it come to Native Americans. They have lived in North America for about 15-20 thousand years, they relied on the land to support them and figured out what was needed to keep it productive, with out poisoning it.

You said "forcing European sensibility" the way I see it that is an oxymoron.
Anyone who thinks that eastern North America before the arrival of the white man was teeming with tens of millions of people must have a hard time explaining the accounts of Hernando de Soto's expedition. Before the introduced epidemics had even reached all of Mexico he wandered for several years through several present-day states in one of the most fertile and habitable parts of the continent, sometimes marching for days through unpopulated wilderness and describing tribes that ruled over thousands of square miles who could muster at most a thousand warriors. He brutalized and antagonized everyone he encountered, using weapons very little better than they had, and the native tribes could not get together enough manpower to overwhelm his force of 400 Spaniards.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:55 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
You've bought into the text book ideology of Native Americans, which I might add is completely wrong.

Most of the Native Peoples living on the east coast of America died of a plague before the white settlers ever hit the shores of North America, we can thank the Spaniards for this, 90% of the Native Americans on the east coast died of smallpox brought over by the Europeans. It was estimated that about 20 million Native Americans died from the epidemic on the east coast and about 50 million died from it throughout North America.
Were these people "primitive", not at all, they knew how to live off the land and how to exist in the harsh climate of New England, that's more than we can say for the Europeans who arrive here. Most Native American believed in personal hygiene, which is more than one can say about the first Europeans that arrived here, from all accounts it is said that one could smell the white man long before you could see him. They described them as smelling like feces (to put it politely).

Are we more developed? Maybe in the area of technology, but on how to treat the land you live on I think we are way behind the 8 ball when it come to Native Americans. They have lived in North America for about 15-20 thousand years, they relied on the land to support them and figured out what was needed to keep it productive, with out poisoning it.

You said "forcing European sensibility" the way I see it that is an oxymoron.
I don't accept revisionist nonsense that tries to reportray the Indians of the 1600s as "alternative" nations to those of Western Europe. The truth is they were one step above the mammals they killed for food, and were primitive in every respect. Medicine, Law, Philosophy, Engineering, Culture, Education, Science, Agriculture, Astronomy, Physics, Chemistry. None of these words had any meaning to the agrarian nomadic savages who roamed North America in the 1600s. WESTERN EUROPE BASICALLY INVENTED EVERYTHING, including the concept of freedom, individual rights, and individual liberty. The primitive natives had no rights, because rights only apply to rational societies, not savage tribes. Such tribes had no more claim to the lands of the Americas than the squirrels or deer or bears. Land rights do not apply to primitive tribes by simply occupying space. They only apply to advanced societies that have renounced tribalism and savagery in favor of advanced codified concepts such as private property rights.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:11 PM

788 posts, read 512,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Which of these two actions will have the longest cast the most deleterious shadow over the character of American's legacy of American's character from slavey and Jim Crow, the genocide of Native People or the internment of Japanese Americand during WII or the mass deportation undocumented/illgeal aliens/
The non-internment of people of German Ancestry in WWII, oh wait, I think we did that, perhaps not to the degree as for the Japanese, but somewhat, if I remember correctly. Or, perhaps, the failure to teach basic math in schools, e.g. 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 4. The FAILURE to deport as many illegals as possible is a HUGE stain on our history.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:14 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Donald Trump.
Yeah. I was about to say that it hasn't actually happened yet.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:16 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Ugliest stain is the open border letting so many criminals into our country. Things you mentioned are just history.

Then there is the lack of teaching the great things this country has done and the lack of loyalty of some to this country.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:27 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
There is so much ugliness in this country's history.

I wouldn't know how to rank these so I'm just going to list them:

-Slavery
-Jim Crow
-WWII Japanese internment
-Turning Jew refugees away in WWII
-Treatment of Native Americans from the Trail of Tears to giving them blankets laced with Small Pox and other appalling things.
-Hiroshima & Nagasaki
-Bay of Pigs
-Vietnam
-Iraq
-McCarthyism

Oh man, the list goes on & on & on.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History