Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 12:46 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Contrary to the wide spread fairy tale story, the smallpox was not being deliberately distributed among Indians. There was AFAIK a single, isolated, small scale recorded incident that happened in the XIX century - well after the peak of the smallpox epidemic.

It's really impossible to judge the XVIII and XIX century deeds by the (pretty hypocritical) modern morals.
I think you need to revise your history a little, the British did in fact use smallpox infected items to give to the Native Americans at the Siege of Fort Pitt.

"Out of our regard to them we gave them two Blankets and an Handkerchief out of the Small Pox Hospital. I hope it will have the desired effect."

William Trent, William Trent's Journal at Fort Pitt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 12:48 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
BTW, most of the slaves sold in Africa were delivered to the white "factors" by other Africans.
I guess that means that the Black African slave traders were jews?????????

Old 06-03-2016, 12:55 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,723,780 times
Slavery was horrific but it is a shared stain with other nations and cultures...part of the fabric of the human condition for thousands of years. That's no excuse for an 'enlightened' nation like ours. What came after -- the Jim Crow laws and the decades of lynchings and burnings and institutionalized racism was our unique stain that continued into living memory. It still seeps out on occasion. That mindset is still with us as we see other groups being singled out for abuse and discrimination today.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:45 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,301,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Lousy guess. Most of the slaver tribes were Muslims.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:05 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,298,878 times
Quote:
I think you need to revise your history a little, the British did in fact use smallpox infected items to give to the Native Americans at the Siege of Fort Pitt.

"Out of our regard to them we gave them two Blankets and an Handkerchief out of the Small Pox Hospital. I hope it will have the desired effect."

William Trent, William Trent's Journal at Fort Pitt
That's one. Care to come up with another ?

Old 06-04-2016, 07:13 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,298,878 times
Quote:
Where did you get that bright idea from ?

The word "factor" is a Latin word that was - and still is - widely used to describe a business agent acting in the interests of another person. I.e. a business representative. The only place in the world where this term would be associated with Jews was the old Polish Kingdom, where the Jews were traditionally hired as factors by the wealthy landowners. But Poland had absolutely nothing to do with African slave trade. All over the rest of Europe the factors were Christian, just like the majority of population. The factors buying the slaves were called that because they were acting as business agents on behalf of the wealthy traders who funded the slave procurement expeditions. Most of the people making money on slave trade did not like to get all hot and dirty.

But it does give me the idea where your people may have come from... And quite recently I may say ?

Old 06-04-2016, 05:29 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Lousy guess. Most of the slaver tribes were Muslims.
Indeed. A classy group, with a classy history.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hist...e_Muslim_world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History