Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 03:35 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times

Advertisements

Well to be honest Im ashamed I knew about Watt and the steam engine and how the idea came to him in glasgow Green very near where I live and where theres a statue of the man but never this...n 1882, 63 years after Watt's death, the British Association gave his name to the unit of electrical power - and today James Watt's name is to be found written on almost every lightbulb in the world.http://scienceonstreets.phys.strath....ames_Watt.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 12:40 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,164,252 times
On a quiz show yesterday a contestant was asked that question. She said Watt, but she was told she was wrong it was Edison. There you go

Old 05-31-2016, 02:24 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
All of the electrical units are named after the pioneers and inventors:
Faraday
Coulomb
Henry
Hertz
Ampere
Volta
Ohm
and probably some I've missed

Old 05-31-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Faraday
Coulomb
Henry
Hertz
Ampere
Volta
Ohm
didnt know that harry.. good info.. thanks

Old 06-01-2016, 01:44 AM

27,133 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Swan and Edison are usually more synonymous with the invention of the light bulb itself, saying that Watt was a brilliant man, and one of many who heralded from Scotland. Scotland probably invented more things per head of population than just about anywhere on earth. Swan actually produced the first patented light buld and not Edison, however Edison went on to perfect Swan's patented bulb. Swan was from Sunderland which is not too far from Scotland.

Joseph Swan - Wiki

Thomas Edison -Wiki

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-01-2016 at 02:03 AM..

Old 06-01-2016, 04:24 AM

Great info... I think back then there was so much stealing ideas went on as now of course... many it seems claimed to be the inventor of the light bulb.. and to be honest I only knew of Watt from the steam engine, funny though how his name was given to the watts on the bulbs... but will we ever know for sure .. heres one sites views.

You do not believe Thomas Edison should be credited as the inventor of the light bulb?

Definitely not, and a lot of what I look at in the book is trying to show that invention is a very complex social process. He was in a very competitive race where he borrowed—some said stole—ideas from other inventors who were also working on an incandescent bulb. What made him ultimately successful was that he was not a lone inventor, a lone genius, but rather the assembler of the first research and development team at Menlo Park, N.J. http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articl...the-light-bulb

Old 06-01-2016, 07:43 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default James Watt and the light bulb

Perhaps more than any other single individual, Watt gave momentum to the upstart Industrial Revolution which transformed societies across the globe.

I think it's worth noting that he was of the generation that followed Newton and Galileo. Without their contributions, he may not have been able to achieve nearly as much.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:13 AM

8,408 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
...the British Association gave his name to the unit of electrical power...
Just a slight correction. The watt is a unit of power, it's not confined to electricity. And it's defined as one joule per second, a joule being a unit of work, and named after James Prescott Joule, another English physicist.

The joule is defined as the amount of work performed by utilizing one newton to move an object one meter (or metre, if you will).

And some of you might know a thing or two about some guy named Newton.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:05 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Faraday
Coulomb
Henry
Hertz
Ampere
Volta
Ohm
You missed a couple

Tesla
Weber

Old 06-01-2016, 02:32 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
You missed a couple

Tesla
Weber
Yeah, I missed a bunch. I think these also fit:

farad
gray
joule
newton
pascal
siemens
sievert
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History