Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 05:32 AM

88,139 posts, read 83,978,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garchompa View Post
So I just so happened to watch a video about it and had never heard of it before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ3If73-VJo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Ys...d%27s_massacre

I knew of the Lubby's massacre but that's the first time I ever heard of the one at McDonald's. Does anyone here remember hearing about it on the news or radio?

For getting shot and having two of his friends killed that boy seems awfully chipper about it.
Yes, it was covered by national news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 06:00 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,258,626 times
What scares me about this, and similar incidents, is this:

The shooter is almost invariably depicted as an alienated (presumably-)white male, who is striking back because the pretty, sanitary scene depicted by McDonald's or Luby's has turned its back upon him; that invariably starts an outcry from the usual hand-wringers in the entertainment media -- who are well insulated from the grittier, more-disappointing side of life.

Those "new Puritans" then call upon Big Brother/Sister to provide more "safeguards" (and more bureaucracy, and more daily interference in the lives of the responsible majority), but the isolated loners who initiated these acts, are so few in number that they will remain "under the radar" in too many instances.

I'm 67 years of age; I have my share of friends, I interact with society every day, but my basic personality is that of an introvert, and I live alone (and usually like it). And I often encounter people who resort to too many stereotypes in dealing with the public -- and may (within their mindset) seek to fit me, and any other mature male, into their stereotypes.

My point being, the effects of most of the major changes in advanced societies over the past century,civil rights and the emancipation of women, to cite the two most prominent, have been overwhelmingy beneficial, but they have also created a minority "on the outside looking in", and once in awhile, those losers, sometimes with a political agenda like the Boston Marathon bombers, other times just lone nuts, will find a way to lash out, Hollywood gadflies and political panderers notwithstanding,

I sincerely wish I could offer a better answer. But I know for certain that our mass-market, media-saturated society can't.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-24-2016 at 06:11 AM..

Old 05-24-2016, 07:44 AM

7,948 posts, read 7,304,346 times
Quote:
I knew of the Lubby's massacre but that's the first time I ever heard of the one at McDonald's. Does anyone here remember hearing about it on the news or radio?

I remember it. It made big news because it was the first, or one of the first mass random shootings in the U.S.

I remember hearing the place was razed by McDonald's Corp and a park put in, in memory of the victims.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:27 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,568,153 times
I remember it well. I grew up in Southern Calif, about 1 1/2 hours North of the border of Mexico. My best friend's parents had gone to Mexico to adopt a baby. On their way back, they were about to stop at that McDonald's to eat and changed their mind for reasons unknown. If they had stopped, they and their kids would have definitely been there for the massacre and possibly died. It became that much more memorable for me knowing just how close to death people I knew had gotten that day!

Old 05-24-2016, 08:38 AM

12,296 posts, read 8,013,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I remember it. It made big news because it was the first, or one of the first mass random shootings in the U.S.
Maybe the first where an "assault weapon" was in the hands of the shooter with the semi automatic Uzi. WWII era M1 carbines had been used in previous mass shootings but the stock versions don't have the pistol grip detached from the shoulder stock and didn't trip the evil look filter. And Thompson as well as other submachine guns had long before been banned.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:52 AM

7,274 posts, read 5,245,606 times
I remember it like I do the Challenger disaster. Points of time in my history (56 y.o. now) of events that just go beyond comprehension for which you can never forget.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:28 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,813,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I remember it like I do the Challenger disaster. Points of time in my history (56 y.o. now) of events that just go beyond comprehension for which you can never forget.
Yeah same hear. I remember the Challenger because I saw it live since I was only 100 miles away. Never forget those smoke trails going in different directions. I remember the McDonalds shooting, but not as well. If it happened today, it would be lumped in with other big shootings. There are so many shootings now, it has become local news unless there are more than 5 people shot. I am tired of city life.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:26 PM

38 posts, read 30,902 times
Quote:
So I just so happened to watch a video about it and had never heard of it before:

For getting shot and having two of his friends killed that boy seems awfully chipper about it.
I remember that and the pic of those 2 young boys laying on the pavement brought tears to my eyes...

Mentally unstable people (There's a difference between them and mentally ill) bring all of us down by their actions which are usually against humanity.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:43 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,624,183 times
It's disgusting how these @ssholes feel compelled to impart their misery onto the rest of society. They should just do us all a favor and shoot themselves in the head away and alone in some desolate field

Old 05-24-2016, 12:44 PM

17,386 posts, read 11,903,568 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ3If73-VJo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Ys...d%27s_massacre

I moved to San Diego 2 weeks after it happened. A little scary at the time, getting ready to move there then this happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History