Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2016, 06:21 PM

10,020 posts, read 8,644,874 times

Advertisements

It's almost 200 years old.
I've been researching a lot on these early bicycles and was interested in some of the history. Some of the very first ones had wooden wheels and wrought iron frames and came out in the early 1800s. People complained that they were too uncomfortable to ride and became known as "boneshakers." They gradually improved the comfort of the ride with better wheels and a better seat, they didn't wear helmets so I guess they considered the arse more important than the noggin back in those days. I believe it was back then when doctors discovered what hemorrhoids were. Another bicycle called the "penny farthing" had a giant wheel in the front and a tiny wheel in the back, I wouldn't want to be on one of those when my tire got stuck in a freshly edged sidewalk crack, too high of a fall. Other people had their bicycles altered to ride on the rails of railroad tracks, trains go too fast these days to try that. These websites show some good pictures of the early bikes:

» 1819 Hobby Horse The Online Bicycle Museum

America on the Move | The Development of the Bicycle

The Boneshaker - a Bike Culture article on Cyclorama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 11:13 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
Thanks for the links.

I knew nothing of "hobby-horses" or "velocipedes." I assumed the bicycle was a late Victorian invention of the 1890's.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:25 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,505,547 times
Somewhere I have read that the bicycle was invented because so many horses died in the year without summer 1816.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:38 PM

10,020 posts, read 8,644,874 times
That first website has a drawing showing a guy sailing over the handlebars, I did that a few times after hitting the front brake on a ten speed. There's another drawing of a guy riding a 3-wheeler and he's hauling some broad sitting on a chair, he would only be able to do that coasting downhill. Is that a headstone in front of that tree? Maybe a rider smashed into the tree and that's where he was buried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History