Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 11:13 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times

Advertisements

I do not believe we will have another world war at all. It is just not that likely for the foreseeable future.

However I do believe we run a strong risk of a smaller more local war, destroying the world as we know it.

As tech moves forward the ability to damage or completely destroy the world is filtering down to smaller and smaller countries.

Within 50 years many small nations will be able to project enough destructive power to make the second world war look like a skirmish. between chem, bio , and nukes, there is little reason to think 2nd or even 3rd tier powers will not be able to disrupt the world so badly as to lead to the deaths of billions.

We have very little time to education and improve the welfare of all. Given people work, stability and hope is by far the strongest weapon to prevent global war. NOTHING else comes close. No shield, no army no weapon is stronger than food, shelter education and security.

Humans best hope is to build permanent homes on the Moon, Mars etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 12:28 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
I do not believe we will have another world war at all. It is just not that likely for the foreseeable future.

However I do believe we run a strong risk of a smaller more local war, destroying the world as we know it.

As tech moves forward the ability to damage or completely destroy the world is filtering down to smaller and smaller countries.

Within 50 years many small nations will be able to project enough destructive power to make the second world war look like a skirmish. between chem, bio , and nukes, there is little reason to think 2nd or even 3rd tier powers will not be able to disrupt the world so badly as to lead to the deaths of billions.

We have very little time to education and improve the welfare of all. Given people work, stability and hope is by far the strongest weapon to prevent global war. NOTHING else comes close. No shield, no army no weapon is stronger than food, shelter education and security.

Humans best hope is to build permanent homes on the Moon, Mars etc.
That is the downside of technology and knowledge, and it doesn't stop at smaller countries. One researcher bent upon destruction, in the right place at the right time, and without oversight and security, could make a sizable dent in the population of humanity.

I agree that the best long term solution for humanity is to return to the security it had when boats took months to get between continents, limiting the spread of many diseases. The threat of someone downing a plane is nothing compared to sending a modern "typhoid Mary" on a world tour.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:14 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,302,319 times
Don't know if it's going to be a "world war" but with inevitable proliferation of nuclear weapons, a nuclear war between two or more countries is just the matter of time. (And I surely hope we're long time from developing biological weapons based on DNA, which would be even worse).

I don't think this would involve any of the current major players. I don't think the Chinese are all that militant, historically. And the Russians so far had proven they can keep the crazies away from the button, despite the rhetoric. Rather, something like a nuclear Arab country vs Israel, Pakistan vs India, etc.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:17 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
ISIS will not create a world war situation. They're more analogous to the anarchists of the 19th-20th century. They have some very small power centers, but more importantly, inspire individual acts of violence.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:56 PM

516 posts, read 429,513 times
WW3 will come about during the tribulation.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:09 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Having watched todays news it seems we cannot ignore the huge conflict between Western society and the Islamic world. This clash of cultures will somehow be behind any future world war. It is only a matter of time before the nations of Europe and North America send armies into the middle east to squash the terrorism that has spread far from the middle east. Only so many times will they tolerate bombs and shootings in places like Paris, Brussels or Florida. Replay of the ancient crusades??? maybe. What will draw in other powers will be the fate of the valuable oil resources of the region. Those resources alone are worthy of world war. Right now barbaric nations control much of that resource. My vote is for a middle eastern centered conflict starting the next world war.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:16 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Having watched todays news it seems we cannot ignore the huge conflict between Western society and the Islamic world. This clash of cultures will somehow be behind any future world war. It is only a matter of time before the nations of Europe and North America send armies into the middle east to squash the terrorism that has spread far from the middle east. Only so many times will they tolerate bombs and shootings in places like Paris, Brussels or Florida. Replay of the ancient crusades??? maybe. What will draw in other powers will be the fate of the valuable oil resources of the region. Those resources alone are worthy of world war. Right now barbaric nations control much of that resource. My vote is for a middle eastern centered conflict starting the next world war.
This terrorism didn't come from over there. It may have been inspired by ISIS tangentially, but it originates with the individual shooter. ISIS is claiming him, but after the fact. It took them the better part of the day to claim responsibility, not coincidentally after reports that he pledged allegiance to ISIS, which tells me they found out about that the same time we did.

It's more like anarchism - an ideology that advocates violence but not centrally directed. There's no one to invade about this.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:02 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
This terrorism didn't come from over there. It may have been inspired by ISIS tangentially, but it originates with the individual shooter. ISIS is claiming him, but after the fact. It took them the better part of the day to claim responsibility, not coincidentally after reports that he pledged allegiance to ISIS, which tells me they found out about that the same time we did.

It's more like anarchism - an ideology that advocates violence but not centrally directed. There's no one to invade about this.

The terrorism is being inspired from over there. This person was radicalized by family and religious figures that come from over there. He also was inspired through ISIS internet propaganda, all coming from the ISIS territory. These radicals immigrate here, or are the sons and daughters of those who do and the hatreds they carry come from there. Often they are directed from over there. There is no way to see this as anything other than an ISIS attack on the US. This clown carried out their wishes and directives, he IS Isis.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:17 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Electromagnetic spectrum space.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:48 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post

What I would watch long term is a potential conflict involving two of the three India, China and Russia, or maybe all of them. Germany was the lynchpin of WWI and WWII because it was the new power on the block and it was all up in the old powers' business. The U.S. was the other one but it was far away. The country with the closest role to Germany circa 1900 would be India today.

Asia is the future and any world war type conflict will be there.
This is what is called propaganda...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History