Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 10:07 AM

17 posts, read 59,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

This apparent recklessness was compounded by document reports that Halsey and his staff ignored reconnaissance reports from USS Independence
scout aircraft that Kurita's force had turned back towards the San Bernandino Strait.
I'd like to research this more I found something by Barrett Tillman doing a google search but do you know where I can find out more about this?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 06:11 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueFleet View Post
It's been awhile since I last posted on this subject so I apologize....
Most don't realize more Sailors died defending Guadalcanal than Marines. I know the Marines and Army personel on the island endured the more hardships because of the ground conditions but credit to all services should be shared for the victory on the Canal. The Navy may not have been enduring the hardships on the ground but they were the service that kept the IJN from reinforcing the island with supplies and men, without the brilliant work by Naval, AAF , Anzac and Cactus Airmen and also Navy ships, Marines and Army ground forces would have never been able to hold Henderson. Perhaps some Marines resented Halsey for the lions share of credit he was given after the fact but I believe any Marine that served on the Canal during the dark days of '42 would prefer his leadership to Admiral Ghormley. I may have posted this earlier but in Frank's Guadalcanal he wrote something to the effect that on the day SOPAC changed commanders Imperial forces made an attack on Henderson and the defenders were so spirited that they thought the Marines landed a fresh division.

I have to agree , also you should remember you interviewed these Marines well after the conflict ended .

I'm sure some Sailors didn't like Halsey, does that mean the Navy didn't like Halsey? Keep in mind there is always going to be branch rivalry amongst the services. Take care now..
It has been awhile for sure...

FWIW I've talked with a bunch of Marines from a retired officer's association is really all.... Few had glowing things to say about Halsey, my grandfather detested him... He was a marine aviator flying out of Henderson Field during Guadalcanal.

To wit, I don't specifically know what his major beef with Halsey was. I suspect much of it may have to do with where post-battle credit and praise was ultimately laid...

Old 07-01-2009, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 907 times
Default Please proof

I am finding some of the messages on this interesting thread hard to understand because of run-on sentences, inexplicable switches in tense, and other grammatical or stylistic lapses. I suggest a quick scan in Preview before posting.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:54 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammarian View Post
I am finding some of the messages on this interesting thread hard to understand because of run-on sentences, inexplicable switches in tense, and other grammatical or stylistic lapses. I suggest a quick scan in Preview before posting.
Sister Mary Rosary pipes in.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:24 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammarian View Post
The intoxication generated by the exuberance of our verbosity, frequently results in neglect of proper construction. Your timely intervention here will doubtlessly ameliorate the problem. Thank you.

The next time you invent a new screen identity to put the arm on offending posters, how about targeting those who communicate largely in cliches? Such doings are dull as dirt, they bore me to death, and with God as my witness, come hell or high water, I vow to the moon and stars that I am bound and determined to remain cliche free.

You can do it, you have established that you are uafraid to open Pandora's box, find a can of worms, and throw it on a hornet's nest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History