Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 10:57 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,817,186 times

Advertisements

World War Two wasn't only a clash between large nations. It was also an opportunity for ethnic groups to settle scores against others they believed oppressed them. Here's an example from the "blood lands".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass...astern_Galicia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 09:27 PM

26,789 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
World War Two wasn't only a clash between large nations. It was also an opportunity for ethnic groups to settle scores against others they believed oppressed them. Here's an example from the "blood lands".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass...astern_Galicia

From the article above -

"The killings were directly linked with the policies of the Bandera faction of the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists (OUN-B) and its military arm, the Ukrainian Insurgent Army,"

Well yes, as I've mentioned on another thread, this is the massacre I was not aware about at all, until recent times, when I learned about it in connection with the war in Donbass. The Eastern Ukrainians pointed at these events back in history, explaining why they don't want anything to do with "New democratic government" in Kiev, where Bandera is revived as a "national hero." Needless to say that this is the nationalist government that's supported by the US, and as in case of support given to mujaheddin in Afghanistan back in the day (in order to "hurt Russian interests in the area") - NOT a good idea.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:29 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,392,955 times
Quote:
Here is another example of a hidden ethnic grudge that exploded in WWII:

- Burmese mobs murder tens of thousands of Indians and Chinese in the wake of the Japanese invasion. Many Burmese were jealous of the economic successes of these two groups and felt that the British had artificially brought them to Burma as to reduce Burmese influences. Many members of these communities attempted to retreat with British units, but were killed on the roads by Burmese armed groups and mobs.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
From the article above -

"The killings were directly linked with the policies of the Bandera faction of the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists (OUN-B) and its military arm, the Ukrainian Insurgent Army,"

Well yes, as I've mentioned on another thread, this is the massacre I was not aware about at all, until recent times, when I learned about it in connection with the war in Donbass. The Eastern Ukrainians pointed at these events back in history, explaining why they don't want anything to do with "New democratic government" in Kiev, where Bandera is revived as a "national hero." Needless to say that this is the nationalist government that's supported by the US, and as in case of support given to mujaheddin in Afghanistan back in the day (in order to "hurt Russian interests in the area") - NOT a good idea.
From my research, it seems that the Banderaists were directing their fury towards Poles and Jews rather than Russians.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
From my research, it seems that the Banderaists were directing their fury towards Poles and Jews rather than Russians.

Mostly Poles. I believe Bandera's official policy towards Jews was neither to actively assist them, nor to attack them. As a side note, many Polish resistance groups had the same policy.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Here is another example of a hidden ethnic grudge that exploded in WWII:

- Burmese mobs murder tens of thousands of Indians and Chinese in the wake of the Japanese invasion. Many Burmese were jealous of the economic successes of these two groups and felt that the British had artificially brought them to Burma as to reduce Burmese influences. Many members of these communities attempted to retreat with British units, but were killed on the roads by Burmese armed groups and mobs.
I looked that up on Wikipedia but couldn't find information about it.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
No, ( not Russians,) because Bandera is all about the Western part of the country ( the part that brought the current government in power,) while the majority of Russians live in the Eastern part.
At that, the Eastern part of Ukraine is very "left - minded" and very internationalist in its nature, that's why they are pointing at Ukrainian nationalists and the followers of Bandera as something totally incompatible with them.

Last edited by erasure; 07-17-2016 at 01:50 PM..

Old 07-17-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Mostly Poles. I believe Bandera's official policy towards Jews was neither to actively assist them, nor to attack them. As a side note, many Polish resistance groups had the same policy.
No-no, the terrible persecution of Jews BY UKRANIANS during the WWII took place precisely in Lvov (Western Ukraine.)

These notorious images of the WWII are precisely from Lvov.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%D0%...BE%D0%B2%D0%B5

Old 07-17-2016, 05:29 PM

Erasure, there's already a thread about Ukraine's past and present.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
No-no, the terrible persecution of Jews BY UKRANIANS during the WWII took place precisely in Lvov (Western Ukraine.)

These notorious images of the WWII are precisely from Lvov.
Yes, that is true. But, I thought we were talking about Bandera's group specifically.
Quote:
I looked that up on Wikipedia but couldn't find information about it.
Neither could I.

I will try some other sources. In the meantime, the Time Life series on WWII mentions it and includes some photographs. It is in the volume on the Japanese advance through Malaysia, Singapore and Burma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History