Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 01:49 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
So for Poland & Czechoslovakia, the USSR didn't have to wait for post-WWII - they'd already stitched up eastern Poland in 1939, & were merely driven away temporarily by the Nazis in 1941. The Soviets returned with a vengeance, in both cases.
Postwar there was actually a short window of "freedom" in Czechoslovakia and I believe the other two countries. The USSR wasted little time in ending that period of time. I believe Czechoslovakia was the last to go, over a period stretching from late 1947 to early 1948.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 01:50 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
...don't know what he needed "agitators" for when the Red Army occupied all of those countries with boots on the ground. Stalin basically appointed the communist governments of those countries and made them protectorates of the Soviet Union (satrap of sorts may be a better description of the relationship). However, all of this was done for the express purpose of providing a "buffer" between the west and the Soviet Union. There was never a serious attempt to "export the revolution", that concept died with Lenin and Trotsky.
As an aside, somewhere I read or heard that for the US, the one non-negotiable point is "freedom of the seas". For Russia it's "territorial integrity". Russia has had problems with ground invasion for centuries, they do like to have a buffer area around their hard-to-guard borders.

The more I think about it, I don't think the USSR did any more to promote communism than the US did to try to contain it. Consider Vietnam. The US was way more involved, as far as I can tell, than the USSR was. Of course China helped the North as well.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:00 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
We all descend from the Russians (Rus', Muscovites), they are an infallible species who have never done anything wrong. As they are perfect and can take no critisism, we simply must be their ancestors.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:05 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
We all descend from the Russians (Rus', Muscovites), they are an infallible species who have never done anything wrong. As they are perfect and can take no critisism, we simply must be their ancestors.
It's not about "right or wrong" Ariete in this case; the question is - did Russians really ever wanted to rule the world?

Old 07-01-2016, 02:11 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
It's not about "right or wrong" Ariete in this case; the question is - did Russians really ever wanted to rule the world?
Of course. If I could make Finland rule the world it would be an amazing place. The USSR did some attempts of it in Cuba, Angola, Somalia and others. But to no use. Even your brothers Yugoslavia turned their back on you. So did Egypt.

My point is that with Russia and Russians comes the nationalism that Russia can never be wrong on anything, and you have to defend it no matter what arguments are thrown at you. That is worrying and ridiculous. Your family fled Russia to the US, but you still say "well Crimea is ours because it's ours and Hero City" and all that.

Luckily we have enough lamp posts free if Einsatzgruppe Ariete has to start a domestic ethnic cleansing, if and when your bloody country attacks again.

Last edited by Ariete; 07-01-2016 at 02:19 PM..

Old 07-01-2016, 03:13 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Of course. If I could make Finland rule the world it would be an amazing place.
How come/why?

Quote:
The USSR did some attempts of it in Cuba, Angola, Somalia and others. But to no use. Even your brothers Yugoslavia turned their back on you. So did Egypt.
I'm sure that Soviets were present in all those places, but was it a full hearted attempt to dominate the world, or was it an attempt to counter-act American presence all over the place?

Quote:
My point is that with Russia and Russians comes the nationalism that Russia can never be wrong on anything, and you have to defend it no matter what arguments are thrown at you.
Again - we are not talking "right or wrong" here, so if you want to prove that Russia indeed was interested in dominating the world, pick something better to throw at me.

Quote:
That is worrying and ridiculous. Your family fled Russia to the US, but you still say "well Crimea is ours because it's ours and Hero City" and all that.
Err...no)))) My family didn't fled Russia to the US at all. They are all in Moscow and have no even remote interest to come to the US. I am the only one here, and since this doesn't make a very good "Russian nationalist" out of me ( now does it? ,) my opinion that "Crimea is ours" ( well theirs ) is not coming from sense of nationalism, but objective knowledge of the situation. And that's not because "it's our hero city" - but because Russians have put a lot of effort and lost a lot of people in order to establish their forepost there back in history, not to mention that Crimea is a matter of strategic importance for the country.

Quote:
Luckily we have enough lamp posts free if Einsatzgruppe Ariete has to start a domestic ethnic cleansing, if and when your bloody country attacks again.
Again - from what I see from history record, Russia usually is not attacking, unless it IS under threat itself.

Last edited by erasure; 07-01-2016 at 04:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History