Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 03:36 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,455,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Casualties means killed, wounded, captured/missing. Killed is an individual category. Check your own links, you are confusing killed and casualties.
No I am not, and I am more than aware of the difference even wiki cites British losses as 481,842.

The actual casualty figure for the first day of the Somme was 56,000 British and Commonwealth troops, with 19,240 lost.

In total 1,332,156 people would be killed during the Battle of the Somme - 481,842 of them British and Commonwealth. The figure 481,842 represents British and Commonwealth Soldiers lost.

Around 17 million fell during The Great War, with 20 million wounded

UK News: Battle of the Somme: Use our First World War search tool to discover fallen soldiers from your area - British Express

Prince William, Kate and Prince Harry mark the Somme 100 anniversary in France

Remembering the Somme with The Zero Hour Panoramas – British Journal of Photography

Even Wiki cites them as lost and not casualities listing author Williams, John F. (2005) as a source.

Battle of the Somme - Wiki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 06:59 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Even Wiki cites them as lost and not casualities listing author Williams, John F. (2005) as a source.
The above illustrates your confusion. "Lost" does not specifically mean killed, it could reference killed, wounded, captured and missing. Not everyone "lost" was killed. Again, try reading your own links more carefully, the information is there, you just don't seem to be comprehending it for some reason.
From the link you provided: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Somme
Quote:
Total British Commonwealth Casualties:
Commonwealth killed

-
French Casualties
French killed

I'm going to give up at this point. I cannot make myself any more clear than I have been in my previous posts.

Last edited by Grandstander; 07-10-2016 at 07:24 AM..

Old 07-11-2016, 07:14 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
No I am not, and I am more than aware of the difference even wiki cites British losses as 481,842.

The actual casualty figure for the first day of the Somme was 56,000 British and Commonwealth troops, with 19,240 lost.

In total 1,332,156 people would be killed during the Battle of the Somme - 481,842 of them British and Commonwealth. The figure 481,842 represents British and Commonwealth Soldiers lost.

Around 17 million fell during The Great War, with 20 million wounded

UK News: Battle of the Somme: Use our First World War search tool to discover fallen soldiers from your area - British Express

Prince William, Kate and Prince Harry mark the Somme 100 anniversary in France

Remembering the Somme with The Zero Hour Panoramas – British Journal of Photography

Battle of the Somme - Wiki
The following chart is taken from your own links...

You can clearly see the distinction between "total casualties" and the subset "killed and missing". As Grandstander has been trying to explain, those are two different numbers and the total killed at the Somme is more on the order of 310,000 (95,000 British/Commonwealth, 50,000 French and 164,000 German). The other 780,000 "casualties" are comprised of those wounded or sick during the battle. Of those wounded and sick during WW1, an average of 30% were treated and returned to the front, with the remainder being unable to continue fighting. So, we can assume of the 1+ million "total casulaties"...

310,000 were killed or missing.
234,000 were wounded/sick and returned to the front in relatively short order.
546,000 were wounded to the point that they were unable to return to the front.

So, a bloody and nasty battle/campaign for sure, but nowhere near a million people were killed. Don't feel too bad though because a couple of the journalists in the articles you linked made the same mistake.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:37 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,391,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
What a catastrophic bloodbath the Somme was. I'm often reminded of the classic film by Stanley Kubrick on WWI, "Paths of Glory" (starring Kirk Douglas as Col. Dax in a powerful performance) as to why these tragic bloodbaths continued, and how Generals could evade responsibility for their incompetence.
All but the most senior WWI generals led from the front and suffered fatal casualties in proportion to their numbers.

Though "incompetence" is an easy blame, the horrendous casualty rates had many factors including a lack of offensive technology and false hopes from earlier battles. Other factors were centuries of manure in fields which led to bacteria rich soil and far more fatal infections.

For example, at Loos, a limited British attack made good progress (by WWI standards) against defending Germans. The British high command then concluded that they had a receipe for success: super size the attack with a tremendous bombardment, deliberate infantry advances, then cavalry exploits breaches.

What the British commanders did not realize was that Germans at Loos were second and third string reservists in hastily constructed fortifications. The Somme was totally different in both the quality of the defenders, and their preperations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History