Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 06:50 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times

Advertisements

Are most sites on Native Land ? I would have thought a lot of it would be on "public" land or even Army land. I noticed on an ordnance survey map of California and Nevada that huge chunks of desert land was US army. It must make it virtually impossible to access as I assume permits are pretty impossible to get.

If you are interested in Parietal art have a look at some of those sites , some of which you will obviously be very familiar with , so apologies for stating the obvious !

:
Rupestre.net - Rock art & Petroglyphs
ARARA Home Page ( I assume you are a member already, same with the one below)
URARA - Utah Rock Art Research Association - Home Page
The Prehistoric Society - Book Review
ROCK ART ORGANIZATIONS

Stone Pages Archaeo News: Ancient rock art found in Eagle Mountain
Scandinavian Society for Prehistoric Art
The Cave of Chauvet-Pont-d'Arc
The cave of Lascaux
BBC News | SCI/TECH | Ice Age star map discovered
Grottes ornées et gisements des Eyzies - Dordogne, Périgord (préhistoire, peintures rupestres, gravures, sculptures, sépultures, sites préhistoriques) (http://www.arachnis.asso.fr/DORDOGNE/TOURISME/SITES/SITPREH/EYZIES/msngrot0.htm#font - broken link) de gaume
Grottes ornées et gisements des Eyzies - Dordogne, Périgord (préhistoire, peintures rupestres, gravures, sculptures, sépultures, sites préhistoriques) (http://www.arachnis.asso.fr/DORDOGNE/TOURISME/SITES/SITPREH/EYZIES/msngrot0.htm#font - broken link) de gaume
Petroglyphs, pictographs and rock art
Rock Art Archaeology of Bolivia - SIARB Bolivian Rock Art Research Society
ART HISTORY RESOURCES ON THE WEB: Native Arts of the Americas and Oceania
Petroglyphs and Rock Art

I have visited many painted and engraved caves in France and they are just so beautiful and fascinating.
If you love the subject and ever plan a visit to France I would recommend a trip to the South-West where most of them are located. My favourites are Fond-De Gaume( about 15000 years old)and Pech Merle ( 25000 years old). A lot of caves even have human footprints and of course a lot of positive/negative hands.

The Dordogne, Ariege and Pyrenees part of France is littered with stunning prehistoric caves, sites, and it is one of the best place on the planet to see exactly how artistic and talented our ancestors were. If you love Prehistory it is the place to be.

Have you read any of Paul Bahn's books and papers. He is a great Prehistorian and an excellent lecturer.

I know your interest lies mainly in US based parietal art but there is so much from Australia to Scandinavia, the Sahara to South America. I love it !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 03:17 PM

444 posts, read 1,211,913 times
Thank you! I will have to broaden my horizons and find a way to get there!! The Universe provides! I love that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History