Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 05:48 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,736,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yes, there are, but they like to discuss history. Not military fantasy, not whether 2002 was more like 2001 or 2003, not speculation about what men 200 years ago were like.

SMH ...
LOL at people giving the OP of this thread more grief than the OP who asks about your favorite LGBT person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 09:06 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,801,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I don't think many women will share my opinion but I feel like men treated women better in the past than they do now.

I think the right to vote needed to happen. Alot of the "recent" past; not so much, more propaganda inspired than anything.

I have read literally years worth of newspapers from the 1600's to early 1900's & the vibe I get from them is almost that women were held in high regard more so then than now.
Oh yes,I am sure many women would love to get beat by their husbands!

Yes,the good ole days where an abusive man did not have to worry about going to jail.

You just have a very romanticized view of the past.

Many people believed the wife stayed home but husband worked,but that is not true.

Many people do not seem to realize women of the past worked too. They usually worked on the farm in the fields with her husband .in addition to their other wife duties!

Old 08-18-2016, 12:55 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,789,071 times
I don't think of them any different than I think of men today honestly.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:01 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,789,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I don't think many women will share my opinion but I feel like men treated women better in the past than they do now.

I think the right to vote needed to happen. Alot of the "recent" past; not so much, more propaganda inspired than anything.

I have read literally years worth of newspapers from the 1600's to early 1900's & the vibe I get from them is almost that women were held in high regard more so then than now.
On this, I think you are unaware of the status of women in society if you truly believe that modern history where a woman won the right to work even if she had young children and a husband, to have a bank account in her own name, to vote (which you mentioned), to be pregnant and be able to work until she feels she needs to go on leave, to not have to put up with the sexual advances of her employers and others, etc., were not big things in the lives of women. Just like today's media does not give a 100% accurate depiction of any demographic, neither did newspapers of the 1600s to the early 1900s an epoch where women and girls weren't even educated in school. Many women had to sue in the 1950s to even attend specific schools.

Your post reminded me of Florynce Rae Kennedy, a black, female, civil rights lawyer. She applied to Columbia Law school in the late 1940s and was denied, not for being black, but because she was a woman. She had to threaten to sue for them to admit her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
LOL at people giving the OP of this thread more grief than the OP who asks about your favorite LGBT person.
On this, if the OP would have asked who our favorite male figure was in history and why, I think the OP would not have gotten as many negative responses. My favorite male figure in history is Frederick Douglass. One of the main reasons why I love him is because he was one of the first, prominent feminist and he just has an inspiration life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History