Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 07:54 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Benjamin Franklin suffered so in the service of the cause.
Fill me in please.. Im loving my new American history..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 08:30 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Fill me in please.. Im loving my new American history..
Franklin was sent to France to get aid for the rebels. Once there he did a fine job, both for the cause and for his ... libido. He was a naughty boy.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Franklin was sent to France to get aid for the rebels. Once there he did a fine job, both for the cause and for his ... libido. He was a naughty boy.
OH so he met Fifi.... I see hahaha thanks..

Old 07-20-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
OH so he met Fifi.... I see hahaha thanks..
Fifi and a fair number of her sisters-in-spirit.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Fifi and a fair number of her sisters-in-spirit.
As long as he didnt need aid when he got back...Oh my goodness just had a read about him.... the Babe Magnet hahaha. oh well Love it blind or so they say...

Last edited by dizzybint; 07-20-2016 at 09:19 AM..

Old 07-20-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
As long as he didnt need aid when he got back...Oh my goodness just had a read about him.... the Babe Magnet hahaha. oh well Love it blind or so they say...
Power is sexy. Exotic is sexy. Dangerous is sexy.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Power is sexy. Exotic is sexy. Dangerous is sexy.
I had a look at the man..and hes on my NO GO area.. even worse than Mick Jagger. you missed out loaded...

Old 07-20-2016, 10:51 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
A bit of history I dont remember being taught at school.. that I came across..

By 1864, a total of 27 shipyards and 25,000 men on the Clyde were working around the clock to build ships for the Confederacy. Around 3,000 Scots worked on-board these ships in direct violation of British neutrality in the conflict. Around a third of all Confederate Blockade runners were built at Scottish shipyards situated all along the Clyde from Govan to Greenock. Such examples include the CSS Robert E Lee and SS Fingal, which were constructed in Glasgow, in addition to the Greenock built SS Tristram Shandy and CSS Advance. Recent research suggests that Confederate agents were based in Bridge of Allan in Stirlingshire, where they could avoid Yankee counter agents and meet with shipping magnates. A furious US Government later called for compensation from the British Government for prolonging the Confederate war effort, maintaining that British shipyards could be liable for a staggering £8 billion in damages. After the US Government threatened to seize Canada and the West Indies as compensation, Britain eventually agreed to pay a mere £7.4 million in 1877.

https://sonofskye.wordpress.com/2014...es-of-america/ You will also notice the black slave for sale.

I read through the site and noticed a house being mentioned in Glasgow... Benvue House.. then found this. Picture of former President on Scots visit found (From Herald Scotland)
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...029161!6m1!1e1

This shouldn't shock anyone.

The British textile industry that was their major industry at the time, employing millions, was dependent on cotton from the southern states, so it was a big incentive for them to support the Confederacy. They tried to do it with as little public notice as possible, for obvious reasons.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
This shouldn't shock anyone.

The British textile industry that was their major industry at the time, employing millions, was dependent on cotton from the southern states, so it was a big incentive for them to support the Confederacy. They tried to do it with as little public notice as possible, for obvious reasons.
They were supposed to be impartial though.. but then its politics , business and money and stinks.. Like myself not many of us from Glasgow know what went on.... this seems to have been airbrushed out of the history books.. or maybe I just wasnt paying attention all those years ago..

Old 07-20-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I had a look at the man..and hes on my NO GO area.. even worse than Mick Jagger. you missed out loaded...
I forgot two important ones:

Funny is sexy.
Intelligent is sexy.

He was a real threat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History