Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 06:43 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times

Advertisements

Born in the ashes of the smoldering South after the Civil War, the Ku Klux Klan died and was reborn before losing the fight against civil rights in the 1960s. Membership dwindled, a unified group fractured, and one-time members went to prison for a string of murderous attacks against blacks. Many assumed the group was dead, a white-robed ghost of hate and violence.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/150-years...000000389.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 06:46 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,742,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Born in the ashes of the smoldering South after the Civil War, the Ku Klux Klan died and was reborn before losing the fight against civil rights in the 1960s. Membership dwindled, a unified group fractured, and one-time members went to prison for a string of murderous attacks against blacks. Many assumed the group was dead, a white-robed ghost of hate and violence.

Dumb. Review Indiana in the 20s with kkk

Old 07-01-2016, 06:59 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Dumb. Review Indiana in the 20s with kkk
It's rather unfortunate that many Americans want to deny the actual representation of those Racisist types ..KKK..Yet even post 1960's..Similar sentiments STILL prevail..and Most of them always want to deflect to blame those accusing it!!
Drives me crazy..No matter how much some WISH the would remain in the past..Voila..Out of the Woodwork they emerge with leadership who acknowledge these narrow minded folks...

I've come to conclusion regardless..there will always be abut 25% or more who still have racist mindsets..BUT only when it suits them TRUMP as a GOP Candidate..has tied into that portion....

Trump probably is NOT Racist at all..BUT he sure stoked those 25+ percentage..LOL While it isn't laughable..It is truly what Trump is doing.

Question? Just HOW far would he go and HOW would he appease these Racist portion of his electorate...Intolerance of others will never work given demographics of the Country... IMO.HATE will never win the day ever..Ability actually alter any TRADE DEALS is silly..BUT Kool Aide drinkers will drink it and smile

Old 07-02-2016, 10:01 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Miserable bunch of racist asshats. But keep in in perspective. An estimated 1500 people have been killed by the KKK in 150 years. Islamists slaughtered twice as many Americans in one day, and on a worldwide scale, average about that many every single day.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:06 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,331,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Miserable bunch of racist asshats. But keep in in perspective. An estimated 1500 people have been killed by the KKK in 150 years. Islamists slaughtered twice as many Americans in one day, and on a worldwide scale, average about that many every single day.
I suppose there is some sort of point in that which I have yet to form opinion worthy of posting....

Old 07-02-2016, 02:33 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I suppose there is some sort of point in that which I have yet to form opinion worthy of posting....
Well, near as I can figure, it means that KKK lynchings just aren't worth talking about, 'cause some other group kills more people than that in a shorter period of time.

Of course, by the same 'logic'...... no one should be talking about Islamic terrorism because... Hitler.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:42 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,331,437 times
Ok, I'm back and the wife isn't hover over my shoulder....

So what are we suppose to glean from
"Miserable bunch of racist asshats. But keep in in perspective. An estimated 1500 people have been killed by the KKK in 150 years. Islamists slaughtered twice as many Americans in one day, and on a worldwide scale, average about that many every single day?"
Other than that fact that we live in a society that even though it took ages to outlaw lynching still tolerated a great deal of physical violence dished out of the hand of a significant and identifiable sector of its population ( I suppose that excludes the Civil War casualties).

Old 07-10-2016, 12:32 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,399,515 times
growing up in the deep south during the sixty, the klan was already dead, yes there was some hot spots but was considered stupid azz white folks and nobody really paid them any attention, even other white folks. violence was zero and if they did try something other white folks would of kept it in line.

today society with the klan and the flag I feel are non existance but they need to blame the victim card on something, so they dig up some dirt and saty a riot somewhere. jsut to keep something that happen in 1920's alive

Old 07-14-2016, 12:24 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,734,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
It's rather unfortunate that many Americans want to deny the actual representation of those Racisist types ..KKK..Yet even post 1960's..Similar sentiments STILL prevail..and Most of them always want to deflect to blame those accusing it!!
Drives me crazy..No matter how much some WISH the would remain in the past..Voila..Out of the Woodwork they emerge with leadership who acknowledge these narrow minded folks...

I've come to conclusion regardless..there will always be abut 25% or more who still have racist mindsets..BUT only when it suits them TRUMP as a GOP Candidate..has tied into that portion....

Trump probably is NOT Racist at all..BUT he sure stoked those 25+ percentage..LOL While it isn't laughable..It is truly what Trump is doing.

Question? Just HOW far would he go and HOW would he appease these Racist portion of his electorate...Intolerance of others will never work given demographics of the Country... IMO.HATE will never win the day ever..Ability actually alter any TRADE DEALS is silly..BUT Kool Aide drinkers will drink it and smile
So what?? It is not illegal to be a racist.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:31 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
So what?? It is not illegal to be a racist.
Correct. And it's not illegal to criticize racists and their racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History