Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 01:07 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
And then there is Sting's view:

"Our written history is a catalogue of crime
The sordid and the powerful, the architects of time
The mother of invention, the oppression of the mild
The constant fear of scarcity, aggression as its child

History will teach us NOTHING
"

Said Sting in the album liner notes about his Song "History Will Teach Us Nothing":
"I once asked my history teacher how we were expected to learn anything useful from his subject, when it seemed to me, to be nothing but a monotonous and sordid succession of robber baron scumbags devoid of any admirable human qualities.
I failed history."
Sounds to me like Sting wasn't bright enough to pass the course, so to justify his failure he attacks the entire subject as useless. That way he didn't fail, the subject itself was the failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 01:14 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,300 times
Quite frankly, I'm not interested in the "little people". I was a little people, I know how much impact they have. I think the emphasis on the little people is a way for new grad students to have something original to write about, and more power to them, it's tough enough already.

Spoiler
BTW, I'm Irish on my parents' sides of the family, so when I say "little people" I mean Little People.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:34 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
As Winston Churchill famously said - "Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it"
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Santayana said it first, IIRC.
The quote is actually from Edmund Burke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Burke

Old 08-02-2016, 01:39 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Sounds to me like Sting wasn't bright enough to pass the course, so to justify his failure he attacks the entire subject as useless. That way he didn't fail, the subject itself was the failure.
I suppose he was to busy with "Roxanne" at the time to study his history.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:47 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
I had to take "Indiana History" in 8th grade. After a month the teacher and I reached an agreement and I spent that hour in the library.
Interesting; because at the time of my primary education -- we were indoctrinated in "Pennsylvania History" -- and about 10% of the text was devoted to Rep. Thaddeus Stevens whose greatest accomplishment (according to his sycophants) was that "he led the fight for public education in Pennsylvania".

Not one word was devoted to the fact that Stevens was the principal author of Reconstruction.

Proving once again (as we should all be aware) that there is a great deal of partisanship and distortion in the efforts of the NEA and others within the so-called "educational advocacy".

Old 08-02-2016, 03:36 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
I get very bored when a book or documentary on a historical period focuses too much on the actual fighting of wars and battles. Yawn. There have been shows on History channel that otherwise would have been perfectly good, but they spent too much time showing formations that soldiers took, diagrams of battle fields, and overkill on how a weapon was used.

I saw a miniseries on History recently that was about the Barbarians. The different groups who resisted the Romans. I was all happy. I wanted to see all the details of their societies, culture, religion, food, homes, leaders, etc, but it was 99% about battles and fighting. Complete with slow motion sword fighting and fake blood. Puh-lease.

I want to know the social and political forces that created the war, the motivations of the different sides in the war, the major people and figures and what their backgrounds were, and the impact of the battles on the ordinary people and ordinary lives. What was it LIKE. What happened before and after. Who were the people? How did they live and die? What did they believe in? How did they treat the injured? What was the technology like (not just for weapons)? What did they eat and how did they prepare it, whether in a town, out in the countryside, while on the march, or while camped at the actual battlefield. What were the conditions in the camp like? Who were those women and wagons that followed the soldiers and what was their life like?

But all that war/military strategy and diagramming just makes my eyes glaze over. All the details about weaponry. I'd rather watch a show on the actual hand-forging of iron swords than watch how people used them in battle with fake re-creations of fighting.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:40 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,300 times
And I run the biggest non-military/non-commercial military history site on the Internet. Takes all kinds, don't it?

Old 08-02-2016, 06:10 PM

326 posts, read 181,745 times
I hate a lot of the older pre - 1800 history stuff. That's all we're ever taught in school. I'd rather learn about more modern history (after 1800) or Pop - Culture history

Old 08-02-2016, 07:09 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Several years ago I thought certain periods of European history were boring ... like The Hundred Years War, for example.

Now I find the history of The Hundred Years War fascinating! It contributed to the making of modern Europe in so many ways.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:16 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Wink History that does NOT interest you

The make-believe what if fantasies that keep popping up in this "history" forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History