Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 03:07 PM

93 posts, read 86,779 times

Advertisements

I realize lots of men were needed but pretty much every American backed the war and I have heard it said by those that think the draft should be abolished is that "If there aren't enough people willing to fight a war then it's not enough of a cause to go to war in the first place". I use WWII due to it being the one war America has been in that pretty much everyone and their mom was all for.

So what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 04:41 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
The draft was needed initially to staff up the army before war was declared and it became popular. After that it became a good standardized way to handle the volume needs of all the armed forces. Since everyone was registered and given a category it allowed the armed forces to know what was available over the next few months and set the intake standards accordingly. As I understand how the system worked you could volunteer for early induction and there was some flexibility in how you were assigned (Navy, Army, Marines, Air Corps, Coast Guard) it was all done through the Selective Service system. I have heard of several different methods being used to allow inductees to choose the service they were assigned to.

A common one was for the induction center to announce "I need 50 people to be Marines' and anyone that wanted to be a Marine would step forward. They would proceed like that for all branches except the Army. If there had been enough volunteers then everyone else went to the Army. If there were not enough volunteers enough to fill the quotas would be selected somewhat at random.

Another way was to have them line up and announce 'every 5th man is a Marine' and allow a couple minutes for people who wanted to be a Marine to shuffle into place (and people who didn't try to get out of the affected positions)

Old 07-31-2016, 04:43 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
Needed lots of soldiers FAST, so yes it was needed.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:28 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Needed lots of soldiers FAST, so yes it was needed.
Needed lots fast but didn't need them all at once with the problem of volunteers disappearing after December 8th if something happened in the news to cool the anger of the initial shock. If it was thought that everybody wasn't sharing the risk the volunteer pool may have been smaller with everyone thinking I will let someone else do it.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:13 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garchompa View Post
I realize lots of men were needed but pretty much every American backed the war and I have heard it said by those that think the draft should be abolished is that "If there aren't enough people willing to fight a war then it's not enough of a cause to go to war in the first place". I use WWII due to it being the one war America has been in that pretty much everyone and their mom was all for.

So what do you think?
People were willing to fight the war, but they were also willing to wait until they were called up. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:17 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Another way was to have them line up and announce 'every 5th man is a Marine' and allow a couple minutes for people who wanted to be a Marine to shuffle into place (and people who didn't try to get out of the affected positions)
That actually happened as late as 1969. May 28th, to be exact, at the Indianapolis AFEES station. I know, I was one of the people who said "FIVE!" When the Marine sergeant told the "FIVES" to take two paces forward and announced we were now Marines I told him I was going in the Navy.

"Have you signed a contract yet?"

"Yes, sir, 90-day delay program. And I wasn't drafted anyway."

"Okay, take two paces back. Man to his left, take two paces forward."

I got a very nasty look from that guy. I sometimes wonder if he lived through his two years. And if he told that story every chance he got.

Semper fi, Mac.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:46 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times
The U.S. military in 1940 was comprised of 458,000 personnel, a number that would grow to 1,801,101 in 1941 eventually ending with more than 12 million in uniform of one of the five services by 1945. Even with Pearl Harbor I doubt that the military would have grown to those levels fueled just by patriotism.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:49 PM

93 posts, read 86,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
The draft was needed initially to staff up the army before war was declared and it became popular. After that it became a good standardized way to handle the volume needs of all the armed forces. Since everyone was registered and given a category it allowed the armed forces to know what was available over the next few months and set the intake standards accordingly. As I understand how the system worked you could volunteer for early induction and there was some flexibility in how you were assigned (Navy, Army, Marines, Air Corps, Coast Guard) it was all done through the Selective Service system. I have heard of several different methods being used to allow inductees to choose the service they were assigned to.

A common one was for the induction center to announce "I need 50 people to be Marines' and anyone that wanted to be a Marine would step forward. They would proceed like that for all branches except the Army. If there had been enough volunteers then everyone else went to the Army. If there were not enough volunteers enough to fill the quotas would be selected somewhat at random.

That is all very true. However, in the vision of equality, people and their nations get along

Old 07-31-2016, 10:04 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
That actually happened as late as 1969. May 28th, to be exact, at the Indianapolis AFEES station. I know, I was one of the people who said "FIVE!" When the Marine sergeant told the "FIVES" to take two paces forward and announced we were now Marines I told him I was going in the Navy.

"Have you signed a contract yet?"

"Yes, sir, 90-day delay program. And I wasn't drafted anyway."

"Okay, take two paces back. Man to his left, take two paces forward."

I got a very nasty look from that guy. I sometimes wonder if he lived through his two years. And if he told that story every chance he got.

Semper fi, Mac.

I was a 2 year draftee into the Navy on October 14, 1965.

They stated the Navy did not reach its enlistment quota and 5 men were needed out of 80 of us draftees.
No one volunteered so he just walked around with a clipboard and picked 5 of us out.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:55 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I was a 2 year draftee into the Navy on October 14, 1965.

They stated the Navy did not reach its enlistment quota and 5 men were needed out of 80 of us draftees.
No one volunteered so he just walked around with a clipboard and picked 5 of us out.

Odd that no one volunteered. I wonder how many of the other 75 didn't make it through the next two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History