Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 08:34 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,461,755 times

Advertisements

None, there were more disadvantages, more discrimination [racism] poor health care, less efficient travel, the draft and chance on getting killed in some great war, more corruption and unfair laws, lots of people dying from cholera , TB , Plague , food poisoning, etc, since there was no FDA approved stuff back then.

also you had a shorter life expectancy in the old days, a 40 year old was an old man back then

It's nice to think about the past, but I wouldnt want to go there or be alive during that time period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 09:18 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
I like now due to the quality books, nutrition information, healthcare, ease of research, etc.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:52 AM

just compare how easy it is to contact family overseas, you can make a quick call with your cell phone / smart phone anytime

back in the old days it was just by slow mail, lost mail, no way of knowing if your family received your message

lots of families lost contact because it was not so easy like it is now, when the immigrants came to the US at ELLIS ISLAND most of them never saw or heard from their families again

communications , travel, world news, etc is so fast now, if something happens you will know about it within minutes or local news broadcasts.

back in the old days everybody was much more isolated from what was happening around the world.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:35 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,762,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Well...since im a lady...i can't find any era that would have allowed me to vote...own my own land and be treated with equal regard...

So...no thanks to past times...

Do though envy some of the past era adventures! Sailing to new lands!
Inventing ! Studying cures or even the stars!
Actually, women in colonial America were allowed to vote in some circumstances. As early as 1756 there's documentation of Lydia Taft in the Massachusetts Colony voting. Same in NJ from 1776-early 1800s (as long as they were propertied and unmarried).

Old 08-12-2016, 01:23 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,817,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
back in the old days everybody was much more isolated from what was happening around the world.
Sometimes that doesn't seem like such a bad things these days, but I get what you're saying.

That's what I meant in my original post by saying it was such a simpler life back then (1800's America I mean). People weren't so concerned about what was going on on the other side of the world as much as they are now. They weren't addicted to smartphones and gadgets and all the other useless junk people are stunk on today. Families stayed much closer to each other instead of bee-lining it to the current "trendy/hip" city after college.

Of course there were disadvantages though; healthcare, information, communication, world wars (which I would have loved to fight in with my great grandfather), equal rights, etc, etc. Just seems fun to think about what it would have been like to live back then.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Sometimes that doesn't seem like such a bad things these days, but I get what you're saying.

That's what I meant in my original post by saying it was such a simpler life back then (1800's America I mean). People weren't so concerned about what was going on on the other side of the world as much as they are now. They weren't addicted to smartphones and gadgets and all the other useless junk people are stunk on today. Families stayed much closer to each other instead of bee-lining it to the current "trendy/hip" city after college.

Of course there were disadvantages though; healthcare, information, communication, world wars (which I would have loved to fight in with my great grandfather), equal rights, etc, etc. Just seems fun to think about what it would have been like to live back then.
People that were not there always seem to think the Great War , Wars were such a Glorious and Adventurous experience

if you ever watched "ALL QUIET on THE WESTERN FRONT" in the beginning of the movie they try to glorify the war and make it seem like a very honorable thing to do and encourage the young men to join and go fight, be a man, fight for your country, protect the women, get some respect and come home a war hero, etc.

Most stories from the veterans that were actually there, dont seem to think of it as such a adventurous and glorifying thing to do, many dont even want to talk about it, WWI was one of the bloodiest wars in history, very high casualties, hundreds, maybe thousands killed in a day, nothing like modern wars, it was much more bloody. The US didnt even go to war until the last year or towards the end of the war, the Brits, French, Germans, etc had already been fighting for years before the US even arrived.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:32 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,817,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
People that were not there always seem to think the Great War , Wars were such a Glorious and Adventurous experience

if you ever watched "ALL QUIET on THE WESTERN FRONT" in the beginning of the movie they try to glorify the war and make it seem like a very honorable thing to do and encourage the young men to join and go fight, be a man, fight for your country, protect the women, get some respect and come home a war hero, etc.

Most stories from the veterans that were actually there, dont seem to think of it as such a adventurous and glorifying thing to do, many dont even want to talk about it, WWI was one of the bloodiest wars in history, very high casualties, hundreds, maybe thousands killed in a day, nothing like modern wars, it was much more bloody. The US didnt even go to war until the last year or towards the end of the war, the Brits, French, Germans, etc had already been fighting for years before the US even arrived.
I'm not necessarily saying it would have been glorious, but if I was given the opportunity to fight in the war I would have done so. My great grandfather enlisted on his 18th birthday and fought in WW1 because he felt it was his duty as an American. I enlisted soon after my 18th birthday to fight in OIF because I felt the same way my grandfather did. That it was my duty as an American to keep her safe. There was nothing glorious about spending 15 months in a desert. But I can look back and say it was the proudest 15 months of my life and I'm sure my grandfather and thousands of other veterans feel the same way.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:53 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,964,604 times
Think I may pick 1945ish as a good year to be born. Pros and cons to everything it seems.

The 1920s always seem fun but followed by the Depression and major wars.

Being a sheriff in the Wild West also intrigues me. Kitty and me...

I'm a bit old fashioned. New age thinking rarely appeals to my sensibilities.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:48 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
The 1950s. The music, the cars (Cadillacs came in only one size: big!), prosperity, drive-in movies, malt shops, men looked like men and women looked like women, etc.

The Old West, about 1880 or so. Saloons (even though I don't drink; just for the atmosphere), trains, cowboys and outlaws! I am not quite serious about this choice. I think I would rather visit for a week or two instead of live in that time period. If I had a choice of where to stay, it would be either in North Fork, New Mexico Territory and the McCain Ranch ("The Rifleman" TV series) or Virginia City, Nevada and the Ponderosa Ranch ("Bonanza" TV series).

Old 08-17-2016, 07:52 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
I would rather stay in the present. I enjoy studying history but cannot think of any era that is better than the current time period that I would want to experience. We have it pretty easy and relaxing today and I like that lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History