Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2016, 10:25 AM

3 posts, read 2,210 times

Advertisements

WALT WHITMAN IS THE GREATEST WRITER THE UNITED STATES EVER PRODUCED no one even comes close i lived in HISTORIC CAMDEN NEW JERSEY for 35 yrs and visited his house and his tomb about once a week it is a very spiritual experience to me maybe to other also if near HISTORIC CAMDEN NEW JERSEY treat yourself to a visit to his house and tomb all the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 10:43 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Allen Ginsberg.

"This is the way the world ends,
This is the way the world ends,
Not with a bang, but a whimper."

Old 08-16-2016, 10:49 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Allen Ginsberg.

"This is the way the world ends,
Not with a bang, but a whimper."
That's from T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:41 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Who is your favorite Lesbian or Gay or Bisexual or Transgender in history?....
The dust-up this non-controversial topic has caused reminds me of another thread where someone was howling about an Olympic athlete being identified as an "African-American" and than American only. Straights don't get it, whites don't get it...the shoe on the other foot, blah and ya k, etc.

Don't know that I have a favorite, but this man is certainly in the running:

The Irishman Sir Roger Casement, a diplomat for the English crown, and a man who won renown for exposing atrocities in the Belgian Congo and crime being committed against native people in the Peruvian Amazon for which he received a knighthood and other honors.

He was one of the men active in planning the Irish rebellion of 1916, though when he was captured just prior to it he had arrived clandestinely from Germany to report that he had not been able to get sufficient arms from the Germans and that the rebellion should be aborted. He was captured, quickly taken to England - the rebellion went off as planned - he was given a great show trial and hanged.

His sexual orientation was used to orchestrate opinion against him despite his humanitarian deeds in the Congo and the Amazon.

Casement's body was buried in quicklime in the prison cemetery where he was hanged in England, and despite several requests by the Irish government its return to Ireland was refused. Finally in 1965 the return of Casement's remains was achieved and half a million passed by to view his coffin in the days before a huge state funeral, with full military honors and burial in the Republican plot. The last surviving leader of the 1916 Rebellion, the aged and ill, President Eamonn de Valera attended the funeral

Old 08-16-2016, 01:38 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josef13 View Post
WALT WHITMAN IS THE GREATEST WRITER THE UNITED STATES EVER PRODUCED no one even comes close i lived in HISTORIC CAMDEN NEW JERSEY for 35 yrs and visited his house and his tomb about once a week it is a very spiritual experience to me maybe to other also if near HISTORIC CAMDEN NEW JERSEY treat yourself to a visit to his house and tomb all the best
Was it Whitman that said "Candy is Dandy but Liquor is quicker?"
A wise Man indeed.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:58 PM

10 posts, read 5,283 times
In the past definitely Walt Whitman. But, there was a guy who was one of the founders of the LGBT movement who was assassinated in San Francisco back in the late 70's I believe. He was pretty awesome too.

And is far as this generation, I think Don Lemon pretty cool too.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:27 PM

135 posts, read 90,550 times
ME!!!

Or this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzunMrHka8c

Old 08-16-2016, 03:35 PM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMO22 View Post
In the past definitely Walt Whitman. But, there was a guy who was one of the founders of the LGBT movement who was assassinated in San Francisco back in the late 70's I believe. He was pretty awesome too.

And is far as this generation, I think Don Lemon pretty cool too.
Don Lemon isn't dead. Being dead is a requirement for mention in this thread.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:38 PM

135 posts, read 90,550 times
Quote:
Can you imagine the outrage if asked who your favorite straight person is in history?
There wouldn't be outrage on my end. Be prideful about being straight yaaay - but it's wrong to take away pride from other groups as well. And perhaps over all straight people need to simply do more noteworthy things in history instead of being vindicative and hateful like? Just a suggestion. =p

Old 08-16-2016, 04:39 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
Montgomery Clift
Paul Lynde
Dick Sargent
Robert Reed
Raymond Burr
Marlon Brando
Randolph Scott
Rock Hudon
Dirk Bogarde
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History