Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 08:19 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,963,150 times

Advertisements

The most accurate response is to look at social statistics of the era...such as:
1) Depression
2) Obesity
3) Suicide
4) Bankruptcy/Debt
5) Heart Disease
6) Cancer
7) Income
8) Divorce
9) Domestic violence
10) Crime

I get so tired of seeing college graduates offering their sample of 1 as proof of their intuition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 08:35 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,833,314 times
I am guy but the following may be relevant: I recall reading a piece in the Miami Herald in the early 80s about how males have changed in their treatment of women compared to the 70s. The article indicated men were more gentle and less aggressive in how they pursued women and more willing to let women make the first approach. The author quipped to the effect "At a club guys no longer pinch your butt and ask you if you want to get laid".

Old 08-23-2016, 09:59 AM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Don't remember a whole lot. Sly and the Family Stone, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, and Pink Floyd were mostly replaced by The Jackson 5, Tony Orlando and Dawn, John Denver and Jim Croce. The Age of Aquarius went belly-up. Nixon resigned.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:55 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
There's no generalizing from the early 70's to the late 70's, as social change took time to filter from the hot-spots of the Bay Area and NYC through the rest of the country, so there's also no generalizing nation-wide, as, obviously, more conservative regions would adopt new mores later than liberal areas. "Free love"--premarital sex without stigma--began in San Francisco and Berkeley in the 60's, and a few other key cities, but it took a long time to change local values throughout the US, including at colleges, with the exception of hippie enclaves. From what I've been told, many women even in liberal areas, were conservative about dating, but by the late 70's, more of a shift had occurred. I think it's safe to assume that there was quite a bit of individual variation, too, as there usually is with most things.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:20 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,970 times
10 Things That American Women Could Not Do Before the 1970s

There was one thing I remember very well - if a woman was married and looking for work, there
was this question "Do you have children or are you planning on having children in the near future?"
Also even into the 80's there was no day care for any child who wasn't potty trained. Most mothers
who had to work had to rely on family, get a nanny (if one could afford to), stay at home or
find another job (with hours that would work so the husband could watch the child).

Old 08-23-2016, 07:41 PM

608 posts, read 515,597 times
I don't remember that much about women in the seventies, but I do remember lots and lots of hairy legs, armpits, and bushes. Those aren't the most pleasant memories I can think of, but had to tolerate it then, or else )

Old 08-24-2016, 08:55 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
10 Things That American Women Could Not Do Before the 1970s

There was one thing I remember very well - if a woman was married and looking for work, there
was this question "Do you have children or are you planning on having children in the near future?"
Also even into the 80's there was no day care for any child who wasn't potty trained. Most mothers
who had to work had to rely on family, get a nanny (if one could afford to), stay at home or
find another job (with hours that would work so the husband could watch the child).
I'm a female. When I graduated from college, in 1973, my 1st job interview was with a well-known corporation, which still exists. I applied for an entry-level job, with experience & a good reference. I was immediately shut down & told that I would not be considered because "You're a girl. You're going to get married, have babies, & leave." When I protested that the job opening was in the help wanted male or female section, I was told "we'll fix that."

When you can't get a decent job, even if you're qualified, a lot of the rest is just details.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:29 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
When you can't get a decent job, even if you're qualified, a lot of the rest is just details.
I'd be interested in hearing the details since many of us who did graduate from college didn't stand
a chance unless you could afford an attorney to fight what you did and if anyone did, the job
would go to someone else. Plus it would be difficult if you just graduated and had to
hire a lawyer or file a complaint with the EEOC/Civil Rights Act (1964).
Most of the women I knew went into nursing, office work, secretaries or teachers (but my state
required a Masters within a few years for high school certifications).

Woman at Work 1970:
https://www.jstor.org/stable/4183800...n_tab_contents

Old 08-24-2016, 08:28 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
I'd be interested in hearing the details since many of us who did graduate from college didn't stand
a chance unless you could afford an attorney to fight what you did and if anyone did, the job
would go to someone else. Plus it would be difficult if you just graduated and had to
Most of the women I knew went into nursing, office work, secretaries or teachers (but my state

Woman at Work 1970:
I graduated with a BFA. I went into broadcasting, as a technician, because I could get in as a hiring minority. That got me in the door. I just had to work twice as hard as the men to stay in the job & put up with things that no man had to put up with.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:31 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:

Woman at Work 1970:
Academia was open to women, at least, and the medical profession: women could be MD's, but the atmosphere could be hostile, depending. I had a friend, now passed, who went into architecture way back in the 60's. She served on the city planning commission and did a lot in her town with historic preservation. She never married, though. Maybe too brainy? And to plain, judging by photos of her from her youth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History