Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 01:18 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,655,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTapedToCokeMachine View Post
Why do so many people outside of Jamaica not know what language Jamaicans speak? I'm not Jamaican or have met any that I remember, and I always knew it was English, or a different dialect of it, yet most people I asked about Jamaica (which is just less than 10 people) had no clue what language Jamaicans speak. Only two knew it was English, but they were more knowledgeable about countries. The rest were like "...African? Jamaican?" or "Spanish or Jamaican" or "uhhhhh... I dunno."

Or is it because Jamaica is a small country and we don't hear much about it?
Why would anyone outside care, really?

i'm guessing most people don't know that Iranians speak Farsi, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 03:23 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No, "everybody" does not know reggae. Most of the "average Americans" in those "flyover" states do not listen to reggae.

This might surprise you, but people in "flyover" states have television and radio.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:56 PM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

This might surprise you, but people in "flyover" states have television and radio.
I've spent years in Nebraska, Illinois, Oklahoma. I speak of them because that's where I've spent most of my years in CONUS.

I'd still argue that raggae barely penetrates those populations.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:13 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
Jamaicans speak English and a "patois" pidgin language of English and older African dialects. I only read the first post so far, but almost everyone I know, they know that Jamaicans primarily speak English. Jamaicans according to many people, speak better English than the English lol.

I am from Ohio and didn't grow up around Jamaicans. I never met one in person until I was in college. I did listen to reggae music though because my grandmother was a huge Bob Marley fan. All of his songs are in English that I remember. I also listened to more mainstream reggae of the 90s era when I was younger - Buju Banton was one of my favorites.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:40 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,557 times
Is there a reason they should know? There're a lot of places where the language spoken is unknown. What makes Jamaica so special as compared, say, to Tasmania?

Old 09-13-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Jamaicans speak English and a "patois" pidgin language of English and older African dialects. I only read the first post so far, but almost everyone I know, they know that Jamaicans primarily speak English. Jamaicans according to many people, speak better English than the English lol.

I am from Ohio and didn't grow up around Jamaicans. I never met one in person until I was in college. I did listen to reggae music though because my grandmother was a huge Bob Marley fan. All of his songs are in English that I remember. I also listened to more mainstream reggae of the 90s era when I was younger - Buju Banton was one of my favorites.
Just this past Sunday I asked my youth group (predominantly black teenagers) how many had ever heard of Bob Marley.

A minority of them raised their hands.

I then asked if they knew Bob Marley's native language.

None of them raised their hands.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:29 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,921,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Just this past Sunday I asked my youth group (predominantly black teenagers) how many had ever heard of Bob Marley.

A minority of them raised their hands.

I then asked if they knew Bob Marley's native language.

None of them raised their hands.
If any of your students like 'old school' hip hop, they'll probably recognize DJ Kool Herc - he always acknowledged his Jamaican roots/reggae influence. I think he's from Kingston (not country).

Old 09-14-2016, 08:26 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Is there a reason they should know? There're a lot of places where the language spoken is unknown. What makes Jamaica so special as compared, say, to Tasmania?
Well, there are a lot of Jamaican people in New York and the surrounding area. People eat Jamaican food even if they are not Jamaican. Not so many Tasmanians. No Tasmanian food trucks that I've ever seen.

But people outside the NY Metro area might not be exposed to any more Jamaicans than they are Tasmanians.

You would think that everyone knows who Bob Marley was, though. Or Shaggy back in the 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv5fqunQ_4I

Old 09-14-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, there are a lot of Jamaican people in New York and the surrounding area. People eat Jamaican food even if they are not Jamaican. Not so many Tasmanians. No Tasmanian food trucks that I've ever seen.

But people outside the NY Metro area might not be exposed to any more Jamaicans than they are Tasmanians.

You would think that everyone knows who Bob Marley was, though. Or Shaggy back in the 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv5fqunQ_4I
The majority of people in America don't listen to raggae music. Really. Certainly not enough to know what Bob Marley's native language was. Most wouldn't have known what Ricky Martin's native language was, and most didn't listen to him, either.

Old 09-15-2016, 04:43 AM

27,146 posts, read 13,434,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

Why would anyone outside care, really?
It's important to be able to speak the correct language when buying weed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History