Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2016, 02:22 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think, do you agree with this?

I think this is spot on, although I do agree with a couple commenters -

I would put Obamas election as #11. His election really didn't change much, but its a signal of change that comes with a change in generations.

Ten things more important than 9/11 | NewsCut | Minnesota Public Radio News

I also agree with the other posters comments somewhat too (regarding Obama and Climate change).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 06:27 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
I think that list is a bit spurious. What's more, it's already five years old.

1) The BRICs are beginning to look like paper tiger. Brazil and Russia? Yikes. Basketcases. China? The biggest asset bubble in history. Only India doesn't look like it's facing imminent meltdown.

2) The Arab Spring was a dud, despite the most naive hopes of people such as the NPR policy wonks. Syria has spiraled into a deadly civil war. The Arab Brotherhood won the Egyptian elections only to become terribly unpopular. Libya was essentially thrown into chaos by the American intervention, then left to its own devices. I'm not sure what naive fool felt that the Middle East culture would be compatible with democracy, but it was a vain hope.

3) The Crash of 2008. The pat explanation was that it was because of greedy mortgage lenders, etc. etc. But as someone who was on the periphery of that industry for umpteen years prior to the crash, it had a great deal more to do with government subsidizing mortgages beginning in the mid90s, and expecting more lenient underwriting as a result. I mean, the same thing happened in Australia at the beginning of the 20th Century and the plains states during the 20s. But, hey, this time was different.

We're actually seeing precisely the same phenomenon at work today in the student loan crisis. Government made student loans cheap and accessible, people stopped paying attention to what their tuition was, colleges stopped worrying about reining in costs, and people just keep borrowing to keep up. I just don't think policymakers have learned from their mistakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History