U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2020, 08:10 PM

10,657 posts, read 10,332,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
True that Bobby made a lot of enemies too. Sounds like the same kind of set up as with JFK:

Sirhan Sirhan certainly shot at Bobby Kennedy, but the fatal bullets that took his life were fired by the hotel’s private security guard, Thane Eugene Cesar, alleges
Mr Kennedy

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...vealed-US-news

Even his son believes it was a set up.

(Bobby would never have ordered that JFK be killed--that sounds like a ridiculous conspiracy non-truth.)
What you refer to is Bobby's son making a statement about what his father allegedly said many years before. That fact alone causes me to question its veracity. If there were some truth to it than why did Bobby keep quiet for so many years? If he did believe that than why not elaborate on details? I can have a believe that the Moon is made of green cheese. It doesn't mean it is.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 07:25 PM

22,273 posts, read 21,375,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
What you refer to is Bobby's son making a statement about what his father allegedly said many years before. That fact alone causes me to question its veracity. If there were some truth to it than why did Bobby keep quiet for so many years? If he did believe that than why not elaborate on details? I can have a believe that the Moon is made of green cheese. It doesn't mean it is.
I think most of the Kennedy family has (or of the ones who are no longer with us, HAD) a pretty good idea of what actually happened. Why would they go public with it and risk getting themselves killed too. Seems that maybe they finally learned to keep their mouths shut. After all, there's the possibility that some of those people or their friends are still around and still want to keep the truth under cover.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think most of the Kennedy family has (or of the ones who are no longer with us, HAD) a pretty good idea of what actually happened. Why would they go public with it and risk getting themselves killed too. Seems that maybe they finally learned to keep their mouths shut. After all, there's the possibility that some of those people or their friends are still around and still want to keep the truth under cover.
There are a whole lot of Kennedys. I find the notion that all of them would just keep their mouths shut to be utterly implausible.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:49 PM

5,403 posts, read 4,843,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
All four of the spent casings were determined beyond any doubt by Commission experts to have been fired in Oswald's revolver. The markings on the bullets from the policeman's body were consistent with being fired from the weapon but they could not be certain, which is not unusual in ballistic examinations (although one expert did declare himself convinced). I still don't understand your problem with the fact that two brands of ammunition were used. What is suspicious about that, and if it is suspicious, why would whoever set him up create this suspicion rather than using a single brand? As far as your "bigger question" is concerned, Oswald swung the cylinder of the revolver open and dumped the spent rounds, as witnesses described seeing him doing. They were scattered as he ran and found by several different witnesses.
The Commission called as its witness FBI ballistics expert Cortlandt Cunningham, and he testified, after an examination of the bullets taken from Tippit’s body, that it was impossible to determine whether or not these bullets had been fired from Oswald’s gun.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
The Commission called as its witness FBI ballistics expert Cortlandt Cunningham, and he testified, after an examination of the bullets taken from Tippit’s body, that it was impossible to determine whether or not these bullets had been fired from Oswald’s gun.
More than one witness identified Oswald as shooting Tippits. More than one witness observed him running from the crime scene. More than one witness observed Oswald carrying a handgun within a short distance of the Tippits crime scene.

The ballistics evidence is not exact. However, marks have been identified on some of the cartridges consistent with Oswald's revolver.

Who else do you think killed Tippits?

Old 07-12-2020, 08:01 AM

2,552 posts, read 953,627 times
Unfortunately, even the FBI will tell you that eyewitness testimony is unreliable. It has been proven that people will go along with a suggestion of guilt. Can you imagine how easy that would be in a high-profile situation like the assassination of a beloved President?

The thing that gets me considering alleged conspiracy theories is Jackie Kennedy at the swearing in of Lyndon Johnson as president. She could have certainly taken a few minutes to change her clothes, but she refused to. She stood there with Kennedy's blood all over her dress and her young son next to her. She was a classy lady. I cant imagine anything more 'in your face' than doing that.

IIRC, he ran on a platform that included being pro-pulling out of the Viet Nam conflict. The corporate powers that be, especially the oil companies, would not have been excited about that.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 07-12-2020 at 08:10 AM..

Old 07-12-2020, 08:14 AM

12,734 posts, read 11,968,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Unfortunately, even the FBI will tell you that eyewitness testimony is unreliable. It has been proven that people will go along with a suggestion of guilt. Can you imagine how easy that would be in a high-profile situation like the assassination of a beloved President?

The thing that gets me considering alleged conspiracy theories is Jackie Kennedy at the swearing in of Lyndon Johnson as president. She could have certainly taken a few minutes to change her clothes, but she refused to. She stood there with Kennedy's blood all over her dress and her young son next to her. She was a classy lady. I cant imagine anything more 'in your face' than doing that.

IIRC, he ran on a platform that included being pro-pulling out of the Viet Nam conflict. The corporate powers that be, especially the oil companies, would not have been excited about that.
JFKJr. was not with her in Dallas. The children were left behind in Washington. She was offered a chance to change her clothes, but said she wanted them to see what they had done.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
JFKJr. was not with her in Dallas. The children were left behind in Washington. She was offered a chance to change her clothes, but said she wanted them to see what they had done.
Thanks for that post. Is the previous poster actually trying to say that Jackie was making some sort of statement about Johnson being in on a conspiracy to kill JFK? Awfully weird conclusion to draw based on what clothes she chose to wear.

I don't think anyone can possibly grasp the level of shock Jackie must have been in after sitting next to her husband and literally watching his brains being blown out.

Old 07-12-2020, 10:45 AM

708 posts, read 570,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Which is what all the forensic experts said, and what I said in my post. You started this discussion by claiming that the spent cartridge casings found at the scene of the Tippits murder could not be identified as having been fired in Oswald's revolver. This is false, all were so identified with scientific certainty. All that could be said about the bullets themselves is that all could have been fired from it. You also attach some kind of significance to two different brands of cartridge being used but have not explained why.

It would take some digging to provide a link to this information, but the fact is that no bullet fired in Oswald's revolver would leave ballistic markings that could be identified to the degree of certainty necessary for use as evidence (at least at the time of the assassination). The reason is that the weapon was a cobbled-together piece of war surplus that had been manufactured for use by the British military and was designed to fire the .38 S&W round, which has a very slightly larger bore diameter than the .38 Special caliber, which is much more common in the U. S. It was cheaply converted to hold and fire the .38 Special cartridge by either modifying or swapping out the cylinder while retaining the original barrel.

Old 07-12-2020, 03:36 PM

22,273 posts, read 21,375,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
There are a whole lot of Kennedys. I find the notion that all of them would just keep their mouths shut to be utterly implausible.
It's the ones closest the the victims who have made the hints but they probably sense danger if they were to go into detail. The younger ones? What do they stand to gain even if they do know anything about the truth? Life goes on. Some of them want to get into politics and some are already in politics--why would they start making enemies of the FBI? The CIA? They aren't that stupid. Happened once, could happen again so they probably just try to put it out of their minds.

Also, people say there were three shots. It's so long ago and I haven't read a book on the subject in a few years, but people who don't believe LHO acted alone usually believe in more than three shots.

But I have a distinct memory of seeing former speaker of the House and Democratic representative for Boston starting in 1953, on tv waving and taking to reporters at some point back in the 1980s or 90s. He was quite a character, humorous and talkative, and was a strong Kennedy man. Tip O'Neil. What I remember is that as he finished talking to reporters about various matters, and laughing and joking as was his nature, he started to get into a car but then stopped, turned around, looked directly at the camera and solemnly said, "There were three shots. Three shots that day in Dallas."

And then he proceeded to get into the car, which then drove off. WTH was that? It was probably only seen in MA on the statewide news but it's always made me wonder what made this powerful Democratic comedian type of person stop in his tracks, look right into the camera and make that deliberate statement.

It's as if someone had told him to say that because it was totally out of context and out of character. Very unexpected, so much so that I remember it to this day. Maybe he or his allies had been threatened. Maybe somebody was getting too close to the actual truth. Nobody comes out with something like that all of a sudden over 30 years after the event for no reason at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History