Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 06:22 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,320,532 times

Advertisements

Yes, and a lot of them were black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 10:24 PM

14,309 posts, read 14,107,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
It means nothing, but to me...

JFK: son of a crooked bootlegger, elected with help of mob, double crossed Chicago outfit, dead.

LBJ: Vietnam War, some old white guy in a suit sending kids to die.

Nixon: duh

Ford:

Carter: peanut farmer. Nice guy but weak.

Reagan: senile actor controlled by the banks. Stagnant wages, credit card industry.

Bush Sr: some old CIA guy.

Clinton: nafta sellout, balanced budget, scumbag.

Bush jr: basically a retard. 911 if I had to answer.

Obama: a joke, corporate puppet. Anti-American.
Is there any President you liked or even found acceptable?

Let's look a little closer and some of these men you condemn with one liners:

JFK: An unusually charismatic, bright man who perhaps despite his wealth served his country in the armed forces and successfully rescued the crew of a sinking PT boat.

LBJ: Had an unusually successful legislative record with Congress. He obtained passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Voting Rights Act of 1965, the Fair Housing Act of 1968, medicare, student loans, the National Endowment for the Arts, Head Start, the Job Corps, and about one hundred other initiatives aimed at fighting poverty and dscrimination.

Carter: Probably one of the most ethical and decent people ever to become President. Also responsible for the WIC program which helps low income women raise healthy babies.

Reagan: A charismatic man who saw the Cold War end under his administration. Funny and well-liked by a huge percentage of Americans. The most popular republican President since Eisenhower.

Clinton: The economy boomed under his presidency. The country entered the Information Age. We ran budget surpluses for half of his administration which is literally unheard of.

Bush Jr: Ultimately, a poor President. However, he truly received a lot of bad advice and I blame the people around him as much as I blame him.

Obama: Ended the worst recession since the Great Depression. Took the first steps towards reforming an out-of-control health care system. Got the Consumer Financial Protection bill enacted in response to abuses that lead to the financial collapse of 2008.

Its easy to criticize these men. However, your "one-liners" cause me to question what you really know about history.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:39 PM

You misunderstood that post, which was kind of based off an earlier one.

The one liners are not meant to be representative of what I know, but show a big part of what myself and others my age think of first upon hearing certain presidents' names.

Look a page or two back for my other post(s).

As far as me liking them at all, the first three possibly a little. Just because Clinton was in office when we entered the Information Age...so what? Ditto for a few of your other examples.

In 40 years if you ask young and middle aged black people which president did the most for black people out of those choices, they will say Obama, when nothing could be further from the truth. But it won't matter.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:12 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,222,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Bush Jr: Ultimately, a poor President. However, he truly received a lot of bad advice and I blame the people around him as much as I blame him.
I think future historians will be more kind to George W Bush than the so-called presidential scholars of the present.

However, from what I know of him, I think Bush is content to let those future historians judge him. There are bound to be books written comparing him to Bill Clinton and I think Bush will compare favorably -- certainly on character.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:25 PM

Agree history will probably forget what a bumbling idiot he was.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:13 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,739,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
I think future historians will be more kind to George W Bush than the so-called presidential scholars of the present.

However, from what I know of him, I think Bush is content to let those future historians judge him. There are bound to be books written comparing him to Bill Clinton and I think Bush will compare favorably -- certainly on character.
50 years from now, Bush will be primarily remembered for 9/11, the Iraq War, and the Great Recession. Bushims will be forgotten.

I think the Clinton vs Bush comparisons will only be relevant to those who study the culture wars. High school history textbooks probably won't cover Monica Lewinsky or Clinton's other personal scandals, so students won't be taught the cultural dynamic going into the 2000 election.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:58 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,372,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
50 years from now, Bush will be primarily remembered for 9/11, the Iraq War, and the Great Recession. Bushims will be forgotten.

I think the Clinton vs Bush comparisons will only be relevant to those who study the culture wars. High school history textbooks probably won't cover Monica Lewinsky or Clinton's other personal scandals, so students won't be taught the cultural dynamic going into the 2000 election.
I dont know. My son and a group of friend got kicked out of a Trump event for chanting Monica Lewinsky repeatedly every time Trump mentioned Bill Clinton. They were between 2 and 5 years old in 2000, so they have no memory or knowledge of the events, but they associate Bill Clinton with Monica Lewinsky and probably know nothing else about him (my slightly older daughters recognize him as the president who changed the meaning of "having sex" ) Will the gossipy urban legend type stuff eventually die out and be replaced with actual historical information? Whitewater certainly means nothing to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History